AuRavelling79

Wot a girlie!
« on: November 22, 2005, 06:31:23 pm »
After mocking Ian Giles about his weather predictions I now eat humble pie!

I got cold today, started at 9.30 finished at 3pm - didn't even break £100, I am going so slow with all these layers and unger gloves and black hat and hood and walking boots.

Yesterday and most of last week started colder but I was fine when the sun came out. Today - no sun - got chilled so went and visited me ole mummy at 3pm and got two cuppa's and about half a dozen marshmallow teacakes. Wot a pig!

It's a game of three halves!

H h20

Re: Wot a girlie!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 06:34:44 pm »

I got cold today, started at 9.30 finished at 3pm - didn't even break £100, I am going so slow with all these layers and unger gloves and black hat and hood and walking boots.

Yesterday and most of last week started colder but I was fine when the sun came out. Today - no sun - got chilled so went and visited me ole mummy at 3pm and got two cuppa's and about half a dozen marshmallow teacakes. Wot a pig!

So looks like you are going eat and drink even more on friday,it`s going to be  :o VERY COLD  :o

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:45:03 pm »
Remember, It's not about how much you do this time of year, but how much you DONT loose.

matt

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 11:11:04 pm »
forecast SNOW for the weekend and next week  :o :o

looks like the good times will end, it had to really, didnt it ? ? ? ? ?

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:37:11 am »
So far loosing nowt, wrap up stick mp3 into ears and carry on, I listen to summery music takes my mind of the cold (until I have to sit with hands over van heater so that I can feel them again)
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

busydaffodil

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 07:48:43 am »
love the topical avatar!

marc al

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 08:17:33 am »
   What are you all on about, I haven't even put a pair of gloves on yet, and I have been starting in the dark!

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 06:13:02 pm »
I'm on target for a record week!

If Wor 'eight stone - 5' 1"' Lass can hack the cold; so can you. 

She's Welsh too.

'They' say there's no such thing as bad weather; only the wrong clothing.  Lots of thin layers that you can add to, or remove to maintain the correct working temperature works.

A 'cup of moral' from a flask is good to.

But since I'm a Geordie, I only wear a t-shirt and drink broon-ale to keep me warm.

H h20

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 06:15:48 pm »
I'm on target for a record week!

If Wor 'eight stone - 5' 1"' can hack the cold; so can you. 

She's Welsh too.

'They' say there's no such thing as bad weather; only the wrong clothing.  Lots of thin layers that you can add to, or remove to maintain the correct working temperature works.

A 'cup of moral' from a flask is good to.

But since I'm a Geordie, I only wear a t-shirt and drink broon-ale to keep me warm.
Tosh,lets see what you say on friday,Gaz

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 06:36:53 pm »
Gaz,

I take it's meant to be really cold then?

I don't think the cold will stop me, but Wor Lass does complain about it though.

Luckily enough she's submitted a leave pass (in triplicate, signed by Tom, Dick and Harry, then buried in a peat bog for four months before I forgot about it), so she's got Friday off to see the Little Uns school concert and get her hair done.

But only on the understanding that she cleans the inside of one pub first (Honest).

I'm sure if you get your clothing correct you'll all be okay.  Lots of thin layers is the key.

As for freezing equipment; if my WFP goes down; I'll use ladders.

H h20

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 06:43:53 pm »
Tosh,yes it`s supposed to be REALLY COLD on friday,it will seperate the men from the boys,i will be out at 6.30 it`s got to be done i ain`t afraid of of the big bad weather,Gaz

busydaffodil

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 07:04:49 pm »
I am!  Can  I stay in bed?

poles apart

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 07:13:13 pm »
depends 8)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 10:17:40 pm »
love the topical avatar!

me also
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 10:19:45 pm »
Tosh,yes it`s supposed to be REALLY COLD on friday,it will seperate the men from the boys,i will be out at 6.30 it`s got to be done i ain`t afraid of of the big bad weather,Gaz

I planed that right then day off on friday van in for service and MOT, A little worried though plan to Protecta cote the floor Sat refit Sunday
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 08:01:24 pm »

I'm really looking forward to it.  I've got a good day lined up.  Two shops and a pub (inside and out) and a nice batch of well-paying (by my low standard) houses.

I hope it's ruddy freezing; honest.

I've got big thick fur-lined water-proof gloves; perfect for WFP; and loads of layers ready.  I won't wear a hat though!  No way.  Even if Ian_Giles swears by 'Noddy Hats' 'cos they keep his ears warm too.

That aside, I was talking to a local window cleaner on Saturday morning.  It was really cold and foggy and he was working at mach 10 speed.  He never stopped to talk to me; just cracked on working and talking at the same time.

He did smile and comment that he 'feels really hard' working in that sort of weather and loves it when people drive past in their nice warm cars and look at him like he's mad.

That's the correct attitude.

This is my second winter; I hope it's a hard one! Honest.  It keeps Wor Lass off work and I can just get on with it.

It's about time she got herself a 'proper' job!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 08:31:58 pm »
I've got nothing due until monday, but I will be thinking of you Tosh.
It can be a bit cold in my house sometimes. ;D

Oh, and what's with this "Tosh1" business?

Rog.

Morph

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 09:15:26 pm »
What gloves d'you recommend Tosh1?

Pj

neil100

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 09:31:23 pm »
Just use skin.

Be hard and prosper my son.

To many nancy boys complaining about the cold makes me want to weep.

Nel

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 09:42:18 pm »
I've got nothing due until monday, but I will be thinking of you Tosh.
It can be a bit cold in my house sometimes. ;D

Oh, and what's with this "Tosh1" business?

Rog.

Rog,

I've more work than I can cope with.  Much of it is underpriced though; I agree.  A mistake I made when I first started two-and-a-half years ago.  It'll take a bit longer to sort out.

But it's making me a decent income.  I also took two hours off today to price up a school in Newport.  A brilliant job for WFP; if I get it.  I'm in competition with two other window cleaners for this job; so the Head told me.

I made sure he knew the regulations with regards to ladders and the Working at Height Regulations.  No need, he already had the gist of them.  No ladders wanted on site!

But I'm on target for a record week, without working overly hard!  A bit of cold isn't going to stop me.

As for 'Tosh1', we (mods) had to change our passwords, and I changed my name slightly just to check my password change had worked.

To PJ,

I bought a pair of gloves last year; can't remember where; from a window cleaning company (it might be Omnipole) for Wor Lass (but too big for her).  

They're water proof, fur lined and have inners.  Apparantly I remember reading you can work in them to something daft like minus 50.

To Neil,

I remember a saying going along the lines of, 'Any fool can be cold'.

neil100

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 10:06:38 pm »
Hi and the old ones are the best ones.

Keep slapping on the hand cream.

Nel