1 (7.7%)
tom yum soup splatter
7.7%
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Filllllll

Pollen
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:16:38 pm »
I'm finding pollen difficult to remove with wfps.Soaking doesn't work.Any ideas??If hot water is an option, anybody know a heater to plug into the system??

gaza

Re: Pollen
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:09:31 pm »
sorry its not pollen its sap and sycamore trees  are the worst for it,have you a soap tablet dispensor on your wfp system if so use it to break the sap.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ben Walker

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 09:15:08 pm »
sorry, in my ignorance, where do you put the soap tablet?

ben

gaza

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:47:28 pm »
Some systems like the Tucker ave an in line container you can attach to your feed pipe.

gaza

Filllllll

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:14:41 am »
Thanks for the reply.Its definately pollen thats the problem.I have a close coming up soon where all the rear windows back on to a field & always lots of pollen.This will be 1st time with poles & my thumb nail won't reach the 1st floor windows!
No soap dispenser on system so tablet not an option.Might try dipping brush ends in GG3.

Cheers,    Fillllll

gaza

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:58:07 am »
FILLLLLLLLLL:DONT WANT TO INSULT YOUR JUDGEMENT POLLEN IN NOVEMBER?
NOW IM NO GARDENER BUT THOUGHT POLLEN WAS A WARM WEATHER THING?

PERCY GAZA ;D

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 10:21:12 am »
I'd go along with Gaza on that. Its mid November now.

dai

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 04:24:33 pm »
YES, and the sap will not be up on sycomours either. Getting a bit cold for insects too. Has anyone being spraying the fields? DAi

Filllllll

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 05:56:02 pm »
20 years window cleaning full time.I know pollen when I see it.No trees about -no sap either.No idea where it comes from-big bumble bees I guess.I live in Driest part of Britain(Tendring Peninsula-official),
Anyway,still looking for suggestions on how to remove that hard blobby yellow stuff that sticks to the glass,you know ,could be ant poo or whatever.
Come on guys, suggestions please.

Filllllll

gaza

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 06:40:36 pm »
FILLLLLLLLLL AND DIA:NOT TRYING TO DOUBT YOUR SKILLS AT ALL,BUT DIA FIILLL
DIDNT STATE IF HE HAD DONE THESE WINDOOWS BEFORE OR NOT ::)
FIILLLLLL 20 YRS  YOU DONT GET THAT FOR MURDER,I WASNT TRYING TO BELITTLING YOURSELF IVE RACKED MY BRAINS AND CARNT THINK OF ANYTHING THAT IT COULD BE,DOES IT LOOK LIKE THE STUFF YOU GET ON CARS THAT HAVE BEEN STOOD UNDER TREES FOR A WHILE?

GAZA :-X

Filllllll

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 09:43:22 pm »
Gaza.I use to have two big houses where a neighbour had bee hives.The pollen was bad there too.Its not sycamore sap-I use to have a sycamore tree over hanging our garden.
These windows are of course worse in summer-last did them 7 weeks ago so shouldn't be so bad this time round.Though Up until 3 days ago we've still had bees & butterflies floating around-its been like the tropics but now its arctic.
The pollen is yellow elongated tear shape specks 3-5mm long-cakes on hard & usually needs a scrape or wet rub.
Have been using wfps 1 week now & noticed that the occaisional pollen won't shift.
I feel like I've been taking crazy pills if no one else has had pollen trouble.
Oh NO...here comes a GIANT bee & it'sgoing to...AARRGGHH!!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 10:01:39 pm »
Gaza.I use to have two big houses where a neighbour had bee hives.The pollen was bad there too.Its not sycamore sap-I use to have a sycamore tree over hanging our garden.
These windows are of course worse in summer-last did them 7 weeks ago so shouldn't be so bad this time round.Though Up until 3 days ago we've still had bees & butterflies floating around-its been like the tropics but now its arctic.
The pollen is yellow elongated tear shape specks 3-5mm long-cakes on hard & usually needs a scrape or wet rub.
Have been using wfps 1 week now & noticed that the occaisional pollen won't shift.
I feel like I've been taking crazy pills if no one else has had pollen trouble.
Oh NO...here comes a GIANT bee & it'sgoing to...AARRGGHH!!!

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but omnipole do a non-scratch pad.  Scroll down the page uabout three quarters of the way to the picture with white pad on red background

http://www.omnipole.com/new_powerpole_system.htm

I don't know if this can be adapted to fit the pole you use (assuming you don't use omnipole's).

Alternatively, there are scrapers like this available from some suppliers
http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/Squeegees__Scraper.html
which can fit on the end of an Unger style pole (non-WFP type).  I think it's better to use them on wet glass but I guess you would know that as you've been around a while.
Apologies if I'm teaching "granny to suck eggs" but you did ask   :)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 06:46:46 am »
Sounds like you are definitely on the flight path of bees :-\

I would say to use a couple of options.

I have bought a pack of ordinary kitchen pads, You know, the abrasive ones you can use for washing up, doesn't scratch glass.

Using an Unger squeegee grip (the stainless steel ones with the serated bit that grips the rubber) I have folded a couple of them up and pinched them tight in the squeegee handle.
Works a treat too, might be very 'Heath Robinson', but you can pop it on the ind of an extention pole and scrub over offending windows.

Either that or get hold of the Unger 4 inch knife, these can be gripped in most squeegee handles, stick it on an extention pole and use that.

Omnipole do a range of attachments for cleaning things like cladding, more agressive than a normal brush, so if you have a suitable pole, you could try that too, I see the link is already in place for omnipole in a previous reply, so I won't add it ;)

Shiner,

I use Unger poles for WFP, and the scrapers will fit on them no problem ;)

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Filllllll

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 11:46:18 am »
Thanks lads- most helpful.

Filllllll

busydaffodil

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 05:48:10 pm »
Well, I reckon Tree Sap. 
 :P

dai

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 05:52:11 pm »
It could well be moths, they are attracted to the light and splatter themselves agains the glass trying to get to it. Whatever it is good luck with removing it. Dai

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 07:19:48 pm »
Ear wax ;)

busydaffodil

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 07:44:24 pm »
Ear wax ;)

Ewweee.   Could be worse though!  I can think of sommat!!!

busydaffodil

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 09:00:24 pm »
LOL

Looks like your as sick as I am!   ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 10:42:54 pm »
If that's on anything higher than ground floor - I would want to meet the man that made it  :D

He shouldn't be a w/cleaner - he should be in the fire brigade! ;D

BTW That scrubber idea from Ian sounds good. And if you want to really check out the results check it with a pair of binoculars. (Try explaining that to the Police when they get called out to arrest you!)
It's a game of three halves!