tomo

sterile tank...
« on: November 15, 2005, 11:22:12 pm »
i went to buy a 1000 ltr ibc the other day from smiths of the dean as they are only local for me i drove over and spoke to the owner "ray smith".
He asked me what tank i required and what i wanted it for after telling him it was for storing pure water for window cleaning he said i should get a new tank as if there was any residual stuff(orange juice, food, chemicals.) stored there before, it could contaminate the water.

you may say he was just trying to sell a more expensive tank but i know this company isn't desperate to sell as they are very busy and he was very genuine not pushy, just a thought if you get spotting on windows could your water be contaminated from the tank even if it doesn't raise the tds on you meter? just a thought.

Regards

Tom

Re: sterile tank...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 11:32:04 pm »
Hi Tomo

If you get the same TDS out as you put in then you have no problem.

I got two 2nd hand ones. Gve them a good blasting out with a pressure washer with tap water. Left the drops etc on the side to settle then made sure they were completely drained. Never had any problem. The only ones that I would beware of are the ones that have been used to transport vegetable oil or anything similarly oily.

Andrew

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 11:41:06 pm »
My first container was used for diesel and i have had no trouble with it at all ,as long as you flush it out it would be ok.

dave

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:47:52 pm »
Plastic is porous and I would think anything other than un-used food grade containers would leach impurities into the water or rather the pure water would draw them out.

To start with we used pure water even though we were still using traditional methods as we had the RO system but not a trolley, pole, etc.

The 5 gallon barrel we had in the van had a green tinge to it from sunlight and one evening I filled it up with pure water that had 7 tdi and the next morning it was about the 70 or 80 mark (which also proves that pure water attracts impurities).

I cleaned the barrel out with bleach and for a few days the readings the following morning were through the roof but after a few days the readings the morning after I filled the barrel the night before were roughly the same.

So what I'm saying is that maybe it may be a few days before the TDS goes down to what it was after the RO system if not using food grade containers from new.

Cheers