zeusjazmin

pensions
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:25:59 pm »
just wondering if anyone pays towards a pension,someone told me it is a priority to anyone self employed

Re: pensions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 09:50:16 pm »
just wondering if anyone pays towards a pension,someone told me it is a priority to anyone self employed

Was that 'someone' a financial advisor? I only ask because financial advisors are usually commision based and could earn a lot of money from your buy.

Google around some financial sites and get yourself financially educated before purchasing anything like a pension.  Especially a pension.

There maybe other ways of financing your retirement.  Private sector pensions are generally 'pee poor' these days.

I'm lucky; I've a private sector pension heading my way in 24 years!  Wahay!

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 10:03:42 pm »
I took a private pension out back when i was 20. I was told that when i am of pensionable age the state pension will be no more.
I top it up every month aswell.
I can't see been self employed makes a diference as you still pay your tax and contributions

Craig

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 10:15:15 pm »
I spent years and years working for the Voluteer Services Overseas and having been told at the beginning that the Government would pay contributions for me according the national average contribution plus 25% only to find years later they hadn't paid a penny......... despite filling out all the forms every year ............... CHEATING LIARS ...... all because some stupid office twitt somewhere filed my forms in the wrong filing caninet .... or so they say.

After that, I then find, having left the railways, that the amount I'd have to pay to get anything back upon retirement (I'm now 47) is so extortionate that I'd be better off with an ordinary savings account.

The reason the amount I paid into the railways pension scheme being worth so little for 10 years odd - the government raided the railway pension scheme to fund privatisation.

So what I'm doing is putting £100 a month into Savings Certificates and have any winnings paid back into it.

I can't find no other viable option.

Cheers

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 10:32:54 pm »
Like others I've had private penshions but I was lucky due to financial strains I pulled out of them (checked on them recently would have been worth £ not ££££'s) and like rosskesava it would cost a furtune to build a reasonable retirement fund for me at 51
So I am now on plan "C" build business in such a way that it will give me a nice income when I semmi retire (full retirement won't suit me The Missus would kill me if we spent every day together)

The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

mark6765

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:48:11 pm »
i dont trust any pension companys. so when i was makin good money from windows i bort a few houses.i rent em out. thats my pension pot. its not without its problems. but at least i have some control
 over my future.