g_griffin

How much pure water per window?
« on: November 14, 2005, 07:08:51 pm »
I`ve been thinking about going WFP in the new year. Most of my work is residential and I would continue to do downstairs trad.
 So I would be looking at a smallish system, probably trolley. But what`s struck me, is the number of windows that I would still need a ladder to clean.
  Today,for instance, I`ve been doing all terraced houses with one upstairs window at front and two at the back, which are above a roof. So I would probably only need the pole/water for one front upstairs window.
     I also have a lot more like this, not to mention houses with locked gates that couldn`t be done with wfp.
  So I need to decide how much water I would approximately need before I buy anything.
  I don`t want to  be making loads of water( and storing it) so I guess I`m lucky in some respect.
     I know windows vary in size but any ideas ?

Gerry.

Ian_Giles

Re: How much pure water per window?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 07:45:09 pm »
If you do all of the windows with WFP, you will need approx 15l per house.

That should get about 10-12 ordinary windows cleaned.

Some will use more, some will use less.

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

g_griffin

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:57:16 pm »
Thanks Ian.

I should be able to work out how much water I need per day and week.
  Space is a bit of a problem at the moment  ::).

Gerry.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:20:13 pm »
But what`s struck me, is the number of windows that I would still need a ladder to clean.
 .... I`ve been doing all terraced houses with one upstairs window at front and two at the back, which are above a roof. So I would probably only need the pole/water for one front upstairs window.
     I also have a lot more like this, not to mention houses with locked gates that couldn`t be done with wfp.

Gerry,

I've shortened your post in my quote; I hope you don't mind.

Firstly, you'd be surprised at how many windows you can clean above the extentions of small terraced houses.  Some you can clean from the rear of the extention if it's not too deep.  Others from one side and others you can clean from the neighbors side.  So These may not pose a problem.

I have some streets exactly as you describe; fronts easy with WFP; rear difficult; and I still have to take one section of my ladders (not both) to get onto the flat roof on a few of them.  I WFP the lot, then at the end run round with my single ladder.  It's still extremely worthwhile; speed wise.

Also with regards to locked gates, I used to 'ladder-hop' these.  But now I generally just use brute strength and ignorance and haul my body over them.  I should really take the time to ask my customers their phone numbers (in the few instances I don't have the digits); phone them the evening prior to arriving and ask them to leave them open.

I do with some.  Others have left me keys hidden in their garden.  One was so well hidden I couldn't ruddy find it, although the customer told me it was hidden between her gas meter and her gate!

If the gates are padlocked; I miss them.  It's not worth the hassle when you could be onto your next account.

I hope I've been some help.

g_griffin

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 06:39:49 pm »
Thanks for your help Tosh.

I was going to leave the backs with locked gates that would be pole work.

I`m thinking of allowing myself 2 litres per window, so I`m easily covered and then maybe do a few extra houses with any water I have left. `Cos hopefully I won`t be as knackered.

Gerry.           

dai

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 07:03:32 pm »
Gerry, I'v done 24  houses today, tops only. Average 4 windows. Used 110ltrs.
I was advised to increase the flow rate, and daft as it seems  I used less water. That's because you are cleaning and rinsing the windows quicker. It's not far off a litre per window. average size 3ftx 3ft. Dai

g_griffin

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 07:29:37 pm »
Thanks Dai.
  Ian Giles also said about 1 to 1.5 litres.
  I over estimated, so any unused water could be used the next day. Maybe saving me time in the evening.
   Initially, I will  be just filling barrels as I don`t have much storage room. So the less water I have to make in an evening the better.

Gerry.