Poll

What is the weather going to be like this winter?

Warm and wet - hooray for global warming!
9.1%
3 (9.1%)
Warm and dry - hooray for rose coloured glasses!
9.1%
3 (9.1%)
Cold and wet as usual.
33.3%
11 (33.3%)
Very cold - Brass monkey time.
21.2%
7 (21.2%)
Ian Giles/Eeyore - Coldest, hardest, gloomiest, worse than Siberia, worst ever since the Ice Age
27.3%
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

AuRavelling79

Forecast the weather this winter
« on: November 14, 2005, 05:59:29 pm »
Place your vote and tell us who your favourite TV forecaster is and why.
It's a game of three halves!

Re: Forecast the weather this winter
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42:59 pm »
The female weather forecasters; all of them!

But seriously, don't you think that each Summer or Winter 'they' always predict it's going to be the hottest or the coldest since some date in the 19th Century?

Obviously, they're going to get it right at some stage.

But it's November and I'm still wearing polo shirts (as opposed to T-Shirts (because I'm an upper working-class window cleaner)).

But seriously, the female weather forecasters are my favorate.

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:15:33 pm »
I don't have a tv but the lady who does the weather sometimes on Southern Counties Radio sounds gorgeous.....

As for a cold winter, some companies who charge for long range forecasts do a real good pr job each year to get the punters spending their money and this year has been no different. Also, lot of forecasts are based on crackpot theories.

I found this quote from the Met Office:

The MO is suggesting a colder winter than has been the norm for the last 10 or so years as a number of the long range model soultons are suggesting a bias towards cold. However, there are no real indications as such that this winter will be properly cold, just somewhat colder than what we have been used to in the last 10 years or so.

Cheers

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 07:25:05 pm »
Sigh,

It'll all end in tears you know, there''' be 2ft of permafrost, and when it snows it'll be horizontal in the howling gales :'(
There'll be 6ft of snow on the sides of all the houses, estates will look like Igloo encampments :-[
And then there are the power cuts to think about, and don't forget the three day week and bird flu :o
The Gulf stream will slow and the ice sheets off Norway (or is it that one in Greenland???) will melt, we'll have winters like northern Canada :'(

The end is nigh!! Mwah!!!

Check out the link...sigh....I off for a lie down, I've a migrain now :-[
http://www.survivethefuture.net/peakoil.htm 
I might as well trade my WFP in for a snowplow and a couple of shovels ;)

Regards

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 07:58:41 pm »
Hi Ian

What an interesting link. I avidly read it all.  ::) yawn..

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 05:45:17 pm »
Hi Ross,

Really interesting read eh? lol

Well some of it was I thought, what we will use for in place of oil is cause for concern though.

With the absense of wooly mammouth's, I'm going to train up to become a chicken hunter, I thought about being a rabbit hunter but they keep diving down holes and have a really nasty bite :-\

We'll all have to become self sufficient!

Windows will be grease proof paper rubbed in goose fat (or chicken fat if I can catch one), me WFP won't be any good on those :-\

On a serious note though, if their has to be power cuts to conserve energy, and industries put on short time, well, I wonder how it might affect us all as window cleaners?
It probably won't happen (he says hopefully) but if the oil and other natural resources do begin to diminish to the point where in the near future these things will be commonplace (thank you China)....well, it makes you wonder....

Ian

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 05:58:33 pm »

It probably won't happen (he says hopefully) but if the oil and other natural resources do begin to diminish to the point where in the near future these things will be commonplace (thank you China)....well, it makes you wonder....

Ian

Yes Ian - Thank you China for just overtaking us in the size of our economy and allowing 1.2 billion people to produce the same amount of gdp as we 60 million do! Good grief they should get back on their bicycles and not get rid of their steam locomotives too. ;)
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 11:49:05 pm »
If China become the economic powerhouse they seem destined to become, it's going to be us back on our bikes ;D

I'll tow my WFP trolley around with me, I'll have to have a labourer to crank the pump.....in the absence of a battery :'(

Ian

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 12:13:56 am »
Moa Tse Tung (or how ever it's spelt) said during the red days of China and communison all those years ago that if China couldn't defeat the West with politics then China would defeat them with economics.

Odd how that seems to be coming about isn't it.

As for oil, there is possibly 300 years worth still underground in countries we don't like to mention even taking into account the increase of use exponentialy.

Cheers

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 05:30:32 am »
Ahh Ross, boredom obviously set in before you had a chance to read that link!
These oil reserves are in increasingly dificult places to access, its believed that the world has already acheived the maximum possible ouput.
With China in particular beginning to take off economically, and the wealth of its people beginning to rise, its demand on oil and natural resources will the world with a bang, and of course demand in the rest of the developed world will also keep rising.

Now our winter may well be as mild as the previous 8, but demand IS going to outstrip supply-for oil in particular-and that is only just around the corner :-\

Regards,

Ian

telboy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 10:32:38 am »
I THINK I'LL SLIT MY WRISTS :'( :'( :'(

BYE ALL ???

TEL BOY ;)

ANGEL C/S