gsw

unger or sealskinz gloves?
« on: November 13, 2005, 04:03:15 pm »
opinions please, the water is starting to get cold!

AuRavelling79

Re: unger or sealskinz gloves?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 07:00:32 pm »
Either - but go to your local garage and get a pair of those polythene gloves you get gratis by the diesel pump and put them on first - then the ungers or sealskins - toasty!

When you're convinced buy a pack of 100 pairs for under a fiver! I get mine from Aarco in Avonmouth, Bristol.
It's a game of three halves!

matt

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 07:12:43 pm »
i use 5mm scuba gloves, very nice and they dont make your hands stink

craig jwc

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 07:27:12 pm »
I just bought a pair of Sealskinz and find them brilliant.
I don't wear anything under them as i find they are warm enough even when wet.

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 07:35:08 pm »
I use the Unger neopreme gloves and for me they do the job brilliantly.

Having said that - I've never tried any other makes or types.

Cheers

gsw

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 07:50:28 pm »
thanks fellas, re the scuba gloves, i'm assuming i'll have stinking hands with unger or sealskinz!!

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 08:01:37 pm »
I don't have that problem with them, they do let your hands breath

matt

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:19:34 pm »
thanks fellas, re the scuba gloves, i'm assuming i'll have stinking hands with unger or sealskinz!!

you do the unger type, at least most do, read back the threads from the last 2 years about them, i think the popular opinion was "they make your hands stink like dry roasted peanuts"

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 10:48:37 pm »
I haven't tried the sealskinz, but have used the Unger ones for years (or did at any arate)
And they do make your hands stink like gone off pee after a while.

Make sure the gloves are nice and warm when you put your hands in them, also make sure your own hands are warm too, make sure the circulation is flowing well and your hands are glowing!
This way your hands stay warm and insulated, put them in cold and you'll struggle to get them warm.
Actually that applies to all the gloves in fairness.

The Unger ones are not hard wearing enough for WFP, they get pinched and rip easily, don't know about the sealskinz, but if they are neoprene, they'll be the same.

Last year Omnipole got hold of some gloves that are used by fishermen, fur lined and very hard wearing!
Trad users might find them bulky and cumbersome (I don't though) but for WFP they work very well indeed.

They are about £20 or so, or were last year.

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 10:49:24 pm »
After a season you may find you get small holes in the fingertips (where hose connectors etc catch or tug) using the cheap polythene ones underneath keeps the insulation effect working.
It's a game of three halves!

gsw

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 07:21:47 pm »
thanks all, wish I had them on this morning!!!!!

sinbad

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 10:38:33 pm »
best gloves so far are from the window clean centre £20,called glazier gloves , they are blue ,10/10. you can get disposable liners ,200 for a £ at the £ shop , not a £5!!
to be even more warm put a thin liner glove on first  and be  as warm as toast

Philip Hanson

Re: unger or sealskinz gloves? New
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:00 pm »
SealSkinz are not neoprene, they are fabric with a waterproof membrane.  You can also get a "liner" glove to inside them that helps to keep your hands warm.

They are very waterproof, but a little restrictive in my opinion (ie not easy to slip on and off if you need to get something out of your pocket) but other than that do the job just fine.  The liner is needed to in the colder months.

I didnt find stinking hands a problem, because the membrane lets your skin breathe

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton