gsw

tds out reading higher going out than in!!!
« on: November 12, 2005, 03:21:22 pm »
please help, the windows aren't spotting yet I dont think!! I have ionics pro 5 system and the RO is filling the tank, reading from the water going in is 2ppm on the tds, the reading coming out after the DI is 14ppm!!!! can this be correct ? if not any ideas on possible cause. I have been flushing RO and backwashing softner as per instruction, if not i'll have to wait until Monday to talk to ionics. thanks all,Greg.

kingfisher

Re: tds out reading higher going out than in!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:32:40 pm »
Not shure whats wrong but can you bypass your DI unit as your R O reading of 2ppm is ok to use with out filtering down further.

Must be somthing pretty strange going on to contamanate the water that much.

gsw

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 04:46:48 pm »
waiting on delivery of a handheld tds just to make sure its not the meter, if not i'll be talking to ionics re a new a di filter. the system is only two weeks old so shouldn't be playing up already! will be bypassing for the time being though. any other ideas on the problem would be appreciated.

gsw

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:47:16 pm »
thanks kingfisher

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 05:59:45 pm »
please help, the windows aren't spotting yet I dont think!! I have ionics pro 5 system and the RO is filling the tank, reading from the water going in is 2ppm on the tds, the reading coming out after the DI is 14ppm!!!! can this be correct ? if not any ideas on possible cause. I have been flushing RO and backwashing softner as per instruction, if not i'll have to wait until Monday to talk to ionics. thanks all,Greg.

When you say "after the DI", do you mean after the DI AND a length of hose?  Have you got new hose?  That can sometimes cause a bit of contamination - though 14ppm sounds excessive even for that.

gsw

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 06:03:22 pm »
no same hose as two weeks ago when it was reading 000, I have changed nothing with the setup at all.  can't undersatnd it. have done some windows this morning and they came up fine, mind you they were new builds so maybe I was lucky. I'm hoping its the meter............ could the resin have "gone off"??

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 06:09:26 pm »
no same hose as two weeks ago when it was reading 000, I have changed nothing with the setup at all.  can't undersatnd it. have done some windows this morning and they came up fine, mind you they were new builds so maybe I was lucky. I'm hoping its the meter............ could the resin have "gone off"??

Well I think resin has a limited shelf life but I may be wrong on that.  I think you can see visually how the resin is doing on Ionics systems anyway as the it changes colour and you have to change the whole vessel rather than just the resin.

gsw

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 06:16:19 pm »
yes it changes from blue to brown, but not sure if that's the case when it " goes off" the system is only two weeks old...I'm in trouble if they need replacing every 2 weeks!!!!!! the resin is still well blue though!

would the windows be in a mess with a 14 reading, going to do my house windows in the morning, and again by passing the DI totally.

does anyone know if the meter attachments just pull out of the inline hose fittings? I dont want to break them!

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 06:31:05 pm »
Have you had the D/I vessel apart if so have you put it back right.

I put a seal in wrong and my TDS shot up.

Paul

gsw

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 06:32:55 pm »
thanks paul, but with ionics they are a sealed unit, so i haven't messed with it, infact I haven't messed with anything other than backwashing etc!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 06:59:16 pm »
It sounds to me like the readings are transposed - my R/O comes out at between 007 and 019 and after resin 000 - 002 then creeps up as the resin tires out.

I've replaced two meters FOC under warranty because of spurious readings mind.
It's a game of three halves!