richard hammond9

Traditional Method ??
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:36:07 pm »
Does anyony still use the trad method on this site??

neil100

Re: Traditional Method ??
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 07:41:25 pm »
I do.

Well at the momment anyway, but in the process of switching to wfp hopefully by the end of this year if the weather doesnt get to cold.

Just done a good 8 hrs running up and down that ladder.

Nel

richard hammond9

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:42:25 pm »
Is there anyone who intends to continue as traditional?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:00:59 pm »
Yes.... Me for a start.

I've got no intention of changing and I have no good reason to.

This isn't a wfp site. ::)

There's far more traditional workers around here, it's just that most of the regaular posters are wfp, because they constantly need help with something.

Being trad you don't get the problems and the hassle. ;)

richard hammond9

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 08:14:08 pm »
My crystal ball tells me that, traditional window cleaners will become like the master craftsmen of old.
Customers will pay a fortune for a window cleaner who uses traditional methods, in the same way they pay money for a hand crafted car, rather than a production line one.

The result will be they can pick their price and spend the time ensuring H & S

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:24:26 pm »
Here here.

Sorry mate, took your question the wrong way, I thought you were against it. :-\

Top man!

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:27:31 pm »

Being trad you don't get the problems and the hassle. ;)

Roger,

I do around thirty of the married quarters in Beachley.

Normally my hourly rate is around £20 per hour there with ladders.

I cleaned them today; 1st cleans with WFP and I've just worked out that my hourly rate is £27.50 now.  Next month (2nd cleans) mabye £30 £35?

I wonder what my hourly rate will be there in six months time when I've had more practise and gained more experience?

It's well worth the hassle.

However, I still use ladders for jobs which I think will be quicker or not suitable for a WFP.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 08:34:53 pm »
 ;)The squee gee will never die,the wfp is not the begin and end all,the squee gee
has been around for years and will still be ;)you cant take wfp inside :P in some ways I feel a bit sorry for the wc who gets to use the wfp and knows nothing else :-\ what does he say sorry I cannot do insides :-\,the person  who can use both now thats a proper trades man ;)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 08:43:37 pm »
I use a mixture of both.

WFP for all 1st floor and upwards and all floors on leaded and georgian.

Trad on ground floor and windows where WFP isn't suitable ( bad paintwork etc )

WFP is just another tool of the trade but a very good one if used well. It can get you work you can't do from ladders safely. OK I am now approx 30% faster than when totally trad but I would have gone for it for nothing else other than the safety aspect. Take tomorrow for instance. I have 30+ mph winds forecast. I probably wouldnt have worked off ladders in those conditions but will have no problems on the ground with an 18 ft pole so I will get a days earnings that I woudn't have before.

My squeegee is staying as part of my toolkit for the foreseeable future though.

Andrew

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 08:50:19 pm »
Tosh,
On the sort of straight forward side-by-side houses you're talking about I'm doing £30+.
It's only on georgians you'd beat me.

A few extra quid doesn't make me want the problems that's all.
I do ok... ;)

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:25 pm »
Tosh,
On the sort of straight forward side-by-side houses you're talking about I'm doing £30+.
It's only on georgians you'd beat me.

A few extra quid doesn't make me want the problems that's all.
I do ok... ;)

If you're doing £30+ then your prices must be good.  I reckon you could add nearly a tenner to your hourly rate.

I bet I could easily beat you on those houses you do in Hardwick Avenue.  The ones with the upstairs bay windows.

EASILY!  First clean too.  Remember second cleans are faster.

Or the big sand-stone house on the corner just down from those houses you do.

There's nine ladder moves just to do the front.  Then you need ladders for the bottom windows too (unless your 9 feet tall).  With WFP, it's knocked about fifteen to twenty minutes off that job and turned it into a really nice account.

I'll be doing them at the end of this week if you want to meet up.

H h20

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 09:14:30 pm »
It`s not about the squeegee,i`ts the ladder "THE LADDER",none of us who have got wfp as ditched the squeegee,it`s about how safe you want to work,if you are working quick with a ladder then you are not taking your safety serious enough,i can honestly say my mind is a rest since iv`e found an alternative to the ladder no more working at height,keep my feet safely on the ground,Gaz

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 09:23:06 pm »
I agree with what Gaz posted.
It's all about the safety side not the squeegee.
I use both methods. Only time i get ladders off now is to get over the annoying back gate that is locked.

Craig

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 10:22:04 pm »
What kind of question is that, is does make me laugh sometimes when people bang on about wfp, I think some people forget that is was probably a sqeegee and a ladder that got them started in the first place. :-\
Quality is doing it right, even when no-one is looking.

Roy Harding

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 10:34:56 pm »
Very true I used a squeegee for 18yrs and still do.

However have also used wfp for 2yrs worked today 4 hours hourly rate £88.50 I would not have done that with a squeegee.

As for hasle change resin and fillters every six months and a hose conector every 4 months.

Plug van on at night 1 1/2hrs disconect in morning drive away, no washing scrims every night.

Roy :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:35 pm »
What Gaz said! Says it all for me!
It's a game of three halves!

neil100

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 11:16:40 pm »
Here here.

I'm a w/c first and foremost, 26 yrs and counting. I started with leather and scrim for years. I was fast,like S**t off an hot shovel, I could do 3 detached houses in 29 mins total.IT now takes me 55 mins with a squeegee.

The squeegee felt like an whole new way of w/cleaning, then I proggresed to Bucket on the belt. Wfp is the new way ahead, its safe and you cant knock it for that.

My son is now working with me and wants to take things to a new level in a few years. So we are going wfp on safety grounds.I do tops traditonal all day long, he does bottoms, I'm up and down the ladder approx 1000 times a week.

When i'm wfpoleing its going to be an all lot safer.I've allready been offered a contract for 4 storey work on a block of flats. Which i would not even consider traditionl. Will still use ladders but only selectively.

Dont knock antill you try it

Nel

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 12:36:55 am »
We use both.

For some jobs, and for some jobs only, what ever anyone says, traditional methods are easier and quicker but not always safer but we work only within the law as it stands now.

Wfp is safer but does it give better results? My opinion is usually not but at least the frames are cleaner and wfp is quicker and safer.

Wfp is not the last word in window cleaning and better in every case as many make it out to be. It has it's place but so does traditional methods.

Cheers

richard hammond9

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 07:56:43 am »
I think after the newness of wfp's has gone many will return to trad methods when they realise how to use the new regs.

those on wfp get sloppy after a while, start doing a 2nd class job, and will loose customers who want their window cleaned properly. 

That's when Squeaky Clean will clean up. You can follow the new regs and trad clean, if your bright enough to understand them, rather than act like sheep and spend ££££££££ on wfp.

Yes it will take longer to be safe, but customers will pay the extra for that saftey.

Bahh

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 09:21:41 am »
I think after the newness of wfp's has gone many will return to trad methods when they realise how to use the new regs.

those on wfp get sloppy after a while, start doing a 2nd class job, and will loose customers who want their window cleaned properly. 

That's when Squeaky Clean will clean up. You can follow the new regs and trad clean, if your bright enough to understand them, rather than act like sheep and spend ££££££££ on wfp.

Yes it will take longer to be safe, but customers will pay the extra for that saftey.

Bahh

You dont know what you are missing boy ,i was like you 3 months back with 7 years on the ladder and would never go back no matter what

Dave