A hose thickness question...
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:01:25 pm »
I've been torturing Jeff Brimble with questions on Matt's DIY site and don't want to push my luck by asking him some more.

So; here's my question.

I've a 60 psi Shurflo pump but no way of regulating my water flow.

I want to set up a tap on my brush head to restrict the water flow, but just doing this will damage the pump; I believe.  So I'll also be putting in a T connection, from the outlet hose, to feed the excess water back into my water barrel.

The taps and connections say they'll work to 50 psi.!!!

I've just ordered the connections with 30 meters of thin hose, which I wish to connect from my pump to my brush.  The hose has an internal diameter of 4 mm.

What d' ya' reckon?

Will it work?

Moderator David@stives

Re: A hose thickness question...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 02:23:46 pm »
Tosh

buy a flow controller you will wish you had done it weeks ago great bit of kit

dont know about your hose i use standard guage

Dave

H h20

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 04:06:37 pm »
I've been torturing Jeff Brimble with questions on Matt's DIY site and don't want to push my luck by asking him some more.

So; here's my question.

I've a 60 psi Shurflo pump but no way of regulating my water flow.

I want to set up a tap on my brush head to restrict the water flow, but just doing this will damage the pump; I believe.  So I'll also be putting in a T connection, from the outlet hose, to feed the excess water back into my water barrel.

The taps and connections say they'll work to 50 psi.!!!

I've just ordered the connections with 30 meters of thin hose, which I wish to connect from my pump to my brush.  The hose has an internal diameter of 4 mm.

What d' ya' reckon?

Will it work?

Tosh what connectors have you orderd,as i use the thin hose and have found some great connectors just wondering if they are the same,the ones i use are John Guest 6mm pushfit connectors,the hose is the irrigation hose with a 6mm outer and 4mm inner bore,Gaz

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:00:32 pm »
Tosh what connectors have you orderd,as i use the thin hose and have found some great connectors just wondering if they are the same,the ones i use are John Guest 6mm pushfit connectors,the hose is the irrigation hose with a 6mm outer and 4mm inner bore,Gaz

Gaz, what's your pump strength and how much of this 'thin' hose do you use?

This is the link.  I found in one of Jeff Brimble's posts in Matt's DIY forum.

http://www.normangardenproducts.co.uk/prodpage.cfm?CategoryID=9926&CFID=14505913&CFTOKEN=52881483

He says it's good kit.

I hope my Ionic pole's thin ended hoselock connection will jam up it.  I think the hoselock connection is 6 mm, so I'll force it up the 4 mm internal diameter of the hose I'm buying; assisted with some boiling water if needs be.

I can't be sure about the size of the Ionic fitting though; I can't find a ruler or a tape measure!

To Dave, I've coughed up enough on work gear just recently.  It's time to focuss on Christmas (according to the 'Long-haired Sergeant Major' (Wor Lass)), but do plan to get purchase a proper flow controller in due course. 

But I've heard that a flow restricter usied in conjuction with a feed by-pass works effectively.  It sounds simple too; so less chance of having problems.

It's just a shame that I've got this system that I bought second hand from an ex-window cleaner who coughed up £1200 for it, is just sat in the shed doing nothing; because I can't control the flow. 

H h20

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 06:22:23 pm »
Tosh,my pump is 100psi but ive got a 60 psi coming this week,i use an 18ft a 33 ft pole the hose runs the length of the poles then connects to standard hose on reel,my connectors are much better than the ones in the link you sent as they are push fit so you can disconnect them if needed they are connected straight to a standard hose connector with a very short piece of hose to link them,i find them so usefull as i can connect different length hoses if needed,and i use the same connector on my brush with a two way connector also a push fit so  brush can be disconnected easy,Gaz

kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 09:32:49 pm »

I tried this but found that I lost presure to the brush when the pole was extended the water just followed the path of least restance back in to the tank.

was I doing it wrong ?

At the moment I just restrict the flow just before it goes into the hose reel.

The pump does pulse on and off and I`v heard that`s not good, though no problems as yet, sounds like I need one of those Vairstream thinges. :)

I found if you put a tap on the end of the hose it just drags around the floor adjusting it self :'(

Kev

mark6765

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 12:33:59 pm »
i put the tap on the pole.

works fine for me.

off  and on between windows.

ive done this for 6 month with no problem to my pump.

neil100

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:47:48 pm »
put a picture of it on the site Mark. would like to have a look.

Regards Nel