What's the best flow in litres per minute?
« on: November 05, 2005, 08:56:43 pm »
I've read somewhere that an ideal WFP water flow is around 1 litre per minute.

I've two systems, a back pack and a 50 litre trolley system (purchased second hand) with a 60 psi shurflo pump.

Anyway, this morning I measured my flow rates by switching the back pack on, on my usual number two setting and pumped water through the brush head for one minute.  I pumped the water into a bucket then poured it into a measuring jug.

I measured 1.5 litres per minute.  This seems to be about right, in my inexperienced opinion.

I did the same with the 60 psi shurflo pump and measured 3.2 litres per minute (remember the guy I bought this from used this system for a good few months; he's now not a window cleaner).

Do any of you guys know what your flow rate is; litres per minute; and why do you think yours is the correct setting?

matt

Re: What's the best flow in litres per minute?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:01:42 pm »
ive seen these answers range from

1/3 per min (yes a THIRD)

to

5 L's per min

persoanlly mine is around 1 L, i dont think you need anymore than that, so why waste water ?? ?? ??

or course i am sure the guys with the 1000 L systems will say "thats why i do a better job, cause i use 5 L a min, get a van system like us big boys"

but ive been at it 1 year now, and 1 L a min does me well enough

Trademark WC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 11:57:17 am »

I think the higher the flow the quicker you can work.

personal opinion !!

Rob

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 02:05:12 pm »
Thanks guys.

I suppose I asked the equivalent of 'what's the best size of squeegie to use?'

There's no definitive answer.

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:22:58 pm »
1 L per minute is what i use

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 07:01:52 pm »

I think the higher the flow the quicker you can work.

personal opinion !!

Rob

To an extent thats true or at least thats what I have found. On a low flow I spend ages rinsing. With a higher flow it seems to rinse better and in a fraction of the time. This is especially true on beading glass which is far more common here than sheeting stuff. I am the same, I work far faster with around 1.5 ltrs per min than 1. Probably two thirds less time spent rinsing. Water usage is actually slighlty less as well. Of course too high a flow and its just wasted.

So.. a slightly higher flow rate than 1 per min means more productive work without more water usage. Like you say though Tosh it's horses for courses really.

Cheers

Andrew