It had to happen what you all going to do now??
« on: November 05, 2005, 06:12:06 pm »
lthough I have been warning about this for three years, it has actually happened.

Door Knocking is to be banned by Trading Standards and Local Police in 140 areas of Britain.

In a debate on todays Today programme  The Head of Trading Standards did not deny when challenged by the Head of Avon, that this inititive does not carry the weight of the law as it was not a government backed inititive.

Strangely the Head of Trading Standards felt it would not stop Avon Ladies

The Direct Selling Association believes this inititive by the Police and Trading Standards is muddled and confusing, and although it has no basis in law it will stop legitimate Direct Sellars going about their Lawful Bussiness.

I understand from a previous post in another section it has already happened in Luton

Although the majority of you do not like cold calling, it is a way for new starters to get established quick, and to fill up quiet days.

Telephone canvassing is becoming harder  with more people joining The Telephone Prefrence Service, due to the advertising campain by BT featuring  Jeramy Clarkson.

The next step will be to ban leaflets.

So how would you get your new customers ?

Taken from carpet cleaning forum

preston powerblast

Re: It had to happen what you all going to do now??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:26:38 pm »
The answer is simple then, befriend a few avon ladies and get them to put flyers in their Avon books.

matt

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 08:49:31 pm »
Door Knocking is to be banned by Trading Standards and Local Police in 140 areas of Britain.

this un is easy ;)

just either ring the door bell, or knock the window  ;)

problem solved

next  ;)

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 08:52:58 pm »
ring the door bell, or knock the window  ;)

;D
Sarah

gaza

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:20:31 pm »
IVE APPROACHED THE LOCAL FREE PAPER GIRL,ASKED HER HOW MANY HOUSES SHE DOES ?300 SHE REPLIED ,I REPLIED WOULD YOU LIKE A DOUBLE EARNER ,SHE REPLIED SHE WOULD WHEN I TOLD HER A £10 FOR DELIVERING 300 FLYERS WHEN SHES DELIVERING,,SHE ONLY GETS PITANCE FOR DELIVERING THEM PAPERS.

ALOT OF REPLIED IN THAT TALE HOPE I GET A LOT OF REPLIED
TO,WHEN I GET FLYERS ON THE GO

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

kiral1404

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 10:33:46 pm »
I live in Luton and haven't heard about this ban. Been canvassing quite a bit for past 2 weeks between 5 & 7 only had 1 bitch who just shut the door without talking made me laugh, the fat fAg smoking cow.

Found people are quite friendly even if they have a window cleaner. I think they realise the shortage of window cleaners and were not exactly double glazing salesmen are we. Foot in door with the hard sell.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:49:41 pm »
Many years ago I was told To knock or canvass you have to have a "hawkers licence" which at one time you could get from the police but like so many things over the years it's just been forgoten about.
Don't know if you should still have one though?
I won't ask in case it stirs the pond water...
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 11:15:51 pm »
Well i`ll still canvas untill i have enough work or i`m told otherwise, i`m not direct selling i`m offering a service   :D
Sussex by the sea

kingfisher

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 02:35:27 am »
Saw the same interview.
As the original posting says not legally binding, also has to have the backing of all the people in the street or area.

Don’t think that the genuine canversers have anything to worry about.

To be honest I don’t like cold callers at my door I really hate the ones who dress like meter readers and want to change my electric supplier/gas supplier. Told the last one to “go forth and multiply”

Kev

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 09:34:15 am »
So whats the problem ? If its like all the other laws they make then nobody will bother to enforce it anyway.

I believe what was said in a previous posting about having to have a hawkers license is true. Technically, canvassing it could be argued is not selling anyway.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 09:47:47 am »
So whats the problem ? If its like all the other laws they make then nobody will bother to enforce it anyway.

I believe what was said in a previous posting about having to have a hawkers license is true. Technically, canvassing it could be argued is not selling anyway.

I have heard of this workaround before.  Canvassing for window cleaning could be classified as surveying rather than selling.  It's just a matter of playing with words.

ValueValeting

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 01:08:12 pm »
same way that double glazing telesales calls are now market research calls...

Simon Carter

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 06:34:41 pm »
Is this a bit like stopping fox hunting?
Onwards and Upwards...

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 06:44:46 pm »
The answer is simple then, befriend a few avon ladies and get them to put flyers in their Avon books.

or the Bettaware man/woman

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 07:47:54 pm »
Is this a bit like stopping fox hunting?

Probably.  The ban on fox hunting is an ineffective law that doesn't stop posh people torturing, then slaughtering cute little fluffy-tailed foxes with a pack of blood-thirsty dogs; purely for the purposes of social interaction; apparantly.

I doubt a hard-working window cleaner would ever be prosecuted for canvassing work, and if one was - this country has gone to pot - and it's time to emigrate to New Zealand.