L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

Professional Back Packs,,,,,`The Implications`
« on: September 25, 2004, 12:16:39 pm »
Well,its finally happened,it had to I guess eventually.A professionally manufactured back pack system.

The Cleantech model looks very much like a Cooper/Pegler back pack sprayer thats been modified and custom built,perhaps not,just my guess.

The Omnipole model looks good.Just wonder, will they `take off`? Also in this day and age,how does the manufactueres stand legally if a user of these systems develop back problems that could be attributed to using this method for cleaning windows?

`Down the line` so to speak in a few months or even years how great and far reaching will the implications be regarding this issue.? Only time will tell,but I have my own thoughts on this one.

What are are members views and opinions?

Lewis Doubtfire, Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Terry_Burrows

Re:  Professional Back Packs,,,,,`The Implica
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:17:27 pm »
;)my opinion er,dont fink so,thats not just omnipole I refer to ;)as craig has said they used it over in America with not much joy ??? surely we are not going to look like,window cleaner ninja Turtles ;D I have been in this wc for some 29 years,cant think what I would use the back pack for,wfps all good as they are ;)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

matt

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 02:07:18 pm »
Lewis, the cleantech version looks alot like a backpack from the USA, i spoke about import to the guy, and he wanted about 165 quid for them in packs of 10, perhaps cleantech have ordered ALOT more

so have Omnipole got 1 out aswell ?? ?? any links ?? ?

WavieDavie

Re:  Professional Back Packs,,,,,`The Imp
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 04:54:23 pm »
Just some snaps on their site. No real details anywhere else at present. This'll be their taster to draw interest for Windex.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Old_Master

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 05:13:16 pm »
There are many health and Safety concerns and recommendations whilst using a back pack unit. 10s of 1000s are in regular use spraying herbicides,pesticides and fertilisers in the Horticulture,agriculture and pest industry.  
There is a licence required for these industries and for the back pack spraying it is known as a PA1 licence, this covers mostly the spraying of hazardous chemicals but also concerns the correct  stance,posture,clothing, shoe type and areas where you should or should not work.
My quote from another forum message board.

16 litre backpack with built in 12 volt 7aph battery, 1 gpm max 40 psi pump
4 speed electronic flow settings, charger included, Padded back,shoulder and waist straps.

The Health and Safety implications for using a backpack  
are many and a full set of Safety Precautions covering Operator Physical Condition and Clothing will be supplied with our back pack.
What has to be remembered in this new age of Health and Safety is that we as window cleaners are or were all using ladders and moving them around on our shoulders for many hours a day. I had forgotton quite how heavy a trade double 18' was until I had to shift one around our yard recently, when I think that I was at one time walking streets with this 70lb monster.
Now I am no expert on weight loads but I would have thought that 70lb balanced on just one shoulder, at the time 50% of my body weight ( I was a lot thinner and fitter then) doesnt compare to half that weight on a carefully constructed ergonomically designed padded backpack with the weight distributed across the length of the back,both shoulders and supported by a waist belt.
I see all your points clearly but the implication to a backpack sprayer manufacturer can be no greater than to a suitcase,backpack or bergen manufacturer or indeed to a ladder manufacturer. Is the ladder manufacturer responsable for accidents caused by ladders if safety instructions are included with the ladder?

In the 2001 Health and Safety Laboratory (Health and Safety Executive) report of 2001 which Omnipole were the main participants together with contributions from both OTT (ionics) and Tuckerpole, it was recommended that water fed pole users should take a two minute break in every ten minutes worked interspersed with longer breaks during the day. These guidellines I believe are of equal value to backpack spray users.
Regards
Glyn
I took the NPTC PA1 module in 1994 so I am Licenced to Kill  (vermin and pests) if you fall into this catogory beware  

matt

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 09:13:16 pm »
glyn

how much is your backpack ?? ?? ??

Old_Master

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 09:39:38 pm »
PM sent Matt