simon w

White electricity metre box's
« on: May 13, 2020, 06:52:47 pm »
Has anyone tried using hypo on fybreglass white electricity box's? closed to protect the metres inside obviously.

We have a block of flats where we clean 18 of these every six months. To date we have just been using citrus degreaser through a back pack and although the first clean was tough due to the green algae and years of general dirt now it's just a quick six monthly maintenance clean.

They are due again on Friday and I was thinking of a light spray with hypo and just leave with no brushing or rinsing. They are fairly away from the public so not really concerned with them coming into contact with them and thought this may be a quicker and simple way to clean them up without brushing in degreaser and washing away with water.

I've never used hypo on these type of white fibreglass box's so naturally a little concerned about the effect it will have. Has anyone done this before and how did you find it? if it's not something anyone on here has tried before I'll do a test on one and let you know how it went.

My main motive for using hypo is to speed the job up and perhaps draw out more grime from the grains in the fibre and perhaps leave them looking brighter and cleaner than before.

Thoughts please  :)

Mike Halliday

Re: White electricity metre box's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:58:11 pm »
If I was going to use Hypo I would give them a light scrub then apply the hypo to bleach out the remaining dirt.

I would still rinse it off...... but really it depend how much time you have
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:42:52 pm »
I would scrub first - but depends on how 'green' they are - but yes hypo and leave would be my choice

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:51:42 pm »
Not really green anymore like I said we deep scrub them with citrus degreaser through a back pack twice a year so that initial clean to remove the years of crud has been taken care of.  I was thinking a light spray with a strong mix of hypo with no rinsing after would save time and possibly do a better job than the usual method.  Those box's always have a grubby grey look to them even after cleaning that's why you often see them given a paint coating over the fibreglass as this makes future cleaning look better.

I think I'll try the hypo method this time and see how it goes, maybe a before and after photo that I'll post on here.

May main concern was that the hypo would turn them pink or something  :o but I think they'll be just fine.

craigR

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:27:20 pm »
Yes, let us know. I've found they just go a grey/ white and there's not alot of improvement to be had whatever you do.
So never spent too much time  on them, but let us know how you get on because they can look really tatty.

TomCrowther

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:17:14 pm »
Just do the side of one first while you do something else and check the results.

simon w

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:35:38 am »
I've done them all using just a medium to strong mix of 15% hypo no brushing in just a couple of spray coatings and job done.  No adverse colouring or bad effects just gleaming white fybreglass box's using less effort than brushing in degreaser and rinsing away. The hypo has been left on and not rinsed away we had filthy K Rend surrounding the box's so splash off was a consideration so I ended up cutting in these areas of render which has left the block looking better for it and could possibly turn into a render cleaning job further down the line.

I'll try and get some before and after photos up when I can.

Appreciated everyone's advise on this  8)

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »
Well done

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 06:06:44 pm »
Before and after