richy27

Van Mot failure
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:37 pm »
Been having some issues with my trafic nothing serious just niggly things.  first gear linkage cables popped off so had to replace cables mot due and it failed on a lot of minor probs not going to cost me too much phew as am good friends with the garage owner. only prob is i had all today off and now cant work next wednesday unless i take the porty in the car but would rather not give that image if i can help it. 

Later in the year i plan to change the van for a new shape relay has any got one and whats it like. thinking about getting something mwb

regards

Rich

jasonl

Re: Van Mot failure
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:56:13 pm »
New van out ,, Nissan NV 200 , just drove one ,, and it is very good.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:47 pm »
New van out ,, Nissan NV 200 , just drove one ,, and it is very good.

I'm quite fancying a brand new ford transit.... On lease of course!!!!

richy27

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »
def wont buy new loose too much dosh prob going to look at 3 year old from main dealer with warranty no rush though

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »
Check with your main dealers and see if they have any pre-registered vehicles,you can save thousands and pretty much nail them to the floor with a cheeky offer.
The vans are brand new just pre-registered.-John

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:36 pm »
My mate has the renault and like you nothing serious just endless niggles think its done 37,000 07 plate i agree with jason the jap stuff seems to be taking on the transit and german stuff. and looks good thinking of getting a crew cab 6 seats get the family in and advertise at the same time
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:05:49 am »
I got the older Relay, 52 plate 115k miles, previous model to the latest.
I dont hink the previous 2 owners had any serious problems with it. First owner Solutions Cornwall, 2nd owner Steve Gunn, and I certainly have had no problems.
So, if the new Relay runs in the same vane it should be ok.
Shaun Ashmore has the new Fiat Ducato, which is the same body but the engine may be different - think he said its a Transit engine - which is very feasible seeing Iveco is part of Fiat (as is Ferrari) and Iveco and Ford trucks are in partnership.

clinton

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:47:14 am »
Richard

I bought the new citreon dispatch as its a great size and fits in my garage and if wanting an ugrade to a prowler it will all fit in.

Why not go new as the deals are good at the mo..

murky

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:13:47 pm »
Watch out for Transits, I carry a TM in mine and it failed its MOT on rust.

Not just from the water tho that didnt help I suppose, all the wheel arches keep the water/mud in, when he poked the inside of the front wheel arch, it  fellout, abolutely rotted away, if I knew they were that bad I would have been under it with the underseal on day 1.

I used to run a Transpoirter and no rust at all.

Murky

Glynn

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »
Iveco is nothing to do with Fiat it's to do with Ford.
Regards
Glynn

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:43:29 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco
http://www.fiatgroup.com/en-us/group/structure/pages/default.aspx
In 1986 Ford sold its European truck operations to the Italian Iveco group and subsequent vehicles have been badged Iveco Ford. After the recession in the 1990s, Iveco rationalised its production operations, and its Langley, Slough plant closed in October 1997, bringing UK Iveco/Ford truck production to an end.
Think Joes wright Glynn
Fiat / Iveco
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:48:23 am »
I got the older Relay, 52 plate 115k miles, previous model to the latest.
I dont hink the previous 2 owners had any serious problems with it. First owner Solutions Cornwall, 2nd owner Steve Gunn, and I certainly have had no problems.
So, if the new Relay runs in the same vane it should be ok.
Shaun Ashmore has the new Fiat Ducato, which is the same body but the engine may be different - think he said its a Transit engine - which is very feasible seeing Iveco is part of Fiat (as is Ferrari) and Iveco and Ford trucks are in partnership.
I have a relay on a 53 plate, nothing but hassle, 27k on clock had to replace engine, new clutch new gear box, new brakes, just had to have 2 injectors done. The list of problems on this van are endless, I forgot the 2 starter motors, the weeks off work, the door panel falling off, the electric window buttons stopped working both sides, both door hinges broke. the only good thing about this van is my sign writting and pulls like a train ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

richie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:47:48 pm »
Murky,

How old is / was your Transit? Transits were always well known for rust to the rear doors and the wheel arches.  This was till the facelift 2000 model came out.  We had a TM fitted in the newer shape transit on the faclift model (X reg 2000). When i removed the TM 7 1/2 years later there was NO rot/rust.  The van had covered just short of 100,000 miles and there was very little in the way of rust on it.  Wheel arches, back doors, floor everything was solid.  Pulled up the ply floor on a mates 51 plate transit two weeks ago. Its had a TM in it the past 5 years constant water on the floor....NO RUST at all.  Only rust on the van now is from where he has caught the gates.

Richie.

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 04:58:02 pm »
Murky,

How old is / was your Transit? Transits were always well known for rust to the rear doors and the wheel arches.  This was till the facelift 2000 model came out.  We had a TM fitted in the newer shape transit on the faclift model (X reg 2000). When i removed the TM 7 1/2 years later there was NO rot/rust.  The van had covered just short of 100,000 miles and there was very little in the way of rust on it.  Wheel arches, back doors, floor everything was solid.  Pulled up the ply floor on a mates 51 plate transit two weeks ago. Its had a TM in it the past 5 years constant water on the floor....NO RUST at all.  Only rust on the van now is from where he has caught the gates.

Richie.
seems im having no luck with vans, I also have a transit 03 and 04 both have rust on arches not bad but spots also on doors, back doors seem ok, few rusts on the sills etc just standard transit rust.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

murky

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »
Richie,

Its on a 'W' plate, its a semi hi roof and the mechanic where I get it serviced said its a 'lite' version.

Evidently they all do it, he thinks they were stored out side for longer than usual as they prob couldnt sell them, the doors are OK funnily enough.

He welded it up to get it through the MOT, rear spring hanger etc, he is going to have to take the seats out to get at the real prob.

And yes I trust him known him 30 years or so.

Murky

richie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 01:35:02 pm »
WW,

Look on alot of vans (not just Transits) & you will see rust spots on the and around the arches, sills back doors.  Rust spots are nothing serious its when the rust becomes full on rot that you worry.

Murky

W reg transit....correct me if im wrong but that will be the MK5(smiley face) Transit.  MK1 - MK5 Transits were (as ive always said) built with rust / rot to the arches & back doors as standard. They always seemed to go that way within 6 years of been new.  The MK6 Transit in general appears to be less likely to be as bad.  Yes some get rust on sills and on arches / back doors but this is just surface rust not rot.

first link is of MK5, second is a MK6 Transit.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2v8oeao.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Rohs9-Lf-qY/SVQAaviE6nI/AAAAAAAAAuo/OpRWhkBuJd8/s640/IMAG0196.JPG