whispers

granite cleaning?
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:38:51 pm »
i have a big job on this week and have been asked about cleaning a granite fire place, i dont think its a job for us as cleaners but maybe a steam cleaner? am i right? or can we do it with the right equipment, and [sorry] what kind of steam cleaner would we need? [am sure i would find what we needed if i hunted a bit but am pushed for time at the moment and am being lazy about looking ;D
The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horses ears...

David Lauder

Re: granite cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:18:12 pm »
Dear Whispers

You can use pretty much what you want on granite, it is not sensitive to harsh cleansers like marbles and limestones. Steam would be good, or even any mildly acidic cleaners - the only thing I would be wary of is using anything abrasive, even those green scourers for pans will scratch granite!

whispers

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:35:12 am »
thanks david for that, i was being a bit hasty in asuming it may need special care, as the client said it was very dirty, got there and found it to be a work top! not a fire place!!!! whole house is very very dirty! but a good job to do as its an empty house and got the quote i wanted ;D
The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horses ears...

David Lauder

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:18:55 pm »
Dear Whispers

If you want you can refer your clients to the marblecleaning.org website - it contains some free downloads about the care of natural stone they may find useful. You also may find it a useful resource should you come across marble, limestone or granite again.

Eureka Ventures

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:49:07 am »
David

I clean a premises with a number of bathroom floors in polished, tinted-mirror-like granite tiles. The problem is that after mopping (daily) it dries to a smear. It then has to be then labouriously buffed with a dry mop and cloth. The spaces are too small for a machine. There must be another way. Please!

Freddie
A consistently good service

David Lauder

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:30:28 pm »
Freddie

Neutral ph cleansers that are formulated for natural stone should not smear. I use a product supplied by Maurizio Bertoli in the USA and it dries streak free. Sadly I stopped selling the stuff but I do have some stock to run down so if you want to try some let me know.

One thing to be wary of is that it may not be the stone causing the problem - soap scum build up and impregnator sealer residue could also prevent easy mopping.

Some basic do's and don'ts are available at www.marblecleaning.org - have a look, they are free to download.