petra

Help-Company financial Value
« on: January 30, 2004, 06:34:19 pm »
Ok, how do I find out what a Company is worth finanicaly..
Hope you clever guys and girls can help me.
Petra
Ps It is a cleaning company

Re: Help-Company financial Value
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:47:36 pm »
Hi petra it all depends on the turnover you work it out from that .
Your accountant should be able to tell you that!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:47:39 pm »
Hi Petra

Companies house is the first place to start if it's a Ltd company. The only problem is that the accounts can be up to 19months old and if there's a group structure sometimes it can be misleading.

Is it a Limited Company you're looking at? Do you have the Company registration number to hand? If so, send me a message and I'll check it for you.

Regards

Mike

petra

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 06:52:20 pm »
No it's not ltd, it is a sole trader selling wanting to sell all stock and contracts, I know that the contracts are good and established and that unless on of the customers went bankrupt they are safe.
Petra

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 06:52:45 pm »
Hi petra it all depends on the turnover you work it out from that .
Your accountant should be able to tell you that!

Net profit is a better indication. Most larger businesses would look to pay 5 x 1 years net profit but there are lots of other factors to take into account (stock, directors / proprietors salaries etc) but I do agree that you need an accountant to look through the full accounts.

Do you have a copy of the accounts?

petra

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 06:54:07 pm »
thanks Mike

Fox

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 06:56:02 pm »
Hi Petra

There are many ways to value a company but one of the simple methods I use is 30p in every £1.  However this will only give you a ballpark figure.  With cleaning companies alot of factors come into play such as what type of contracts are run, the % profit, whether you are buying as a whole or just the good will, liabilities etc.

At the end of the day any company is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Regards
Fox

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 06:57:58 pm »
If its a sole trader offer 3 times his monthly turnover!

petra

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 06:59:39 pm »
cheer fox, All Im would be buying is paid for stock, equiptment and contracts, they are keeping all liablities.
Petra
The turn over is approx £39K per year

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 07:05:15 pm »
but one of the simple methods I use is 30p in every £1

Hi Fox

Do you mean 30p for £1 of turnover?

It is very difficult to generalise but I would certainly base any offer on profit rather than turnover.

Regards

Mike

Fox

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 07:12:16 pm »
Hi Mike

Yes I do mean that - it is very generalised however it gives an indication whether the asking price is in the right region (with lots of leeway granted)

I agree on the best way to price is profit but if you have a list of Companies infront of you that are selling, are you going to go to the trouble of checking everyones books?  

I have sent Petra a pm suggesting she take all figures to bank and accountant to get them looked over.  This is always a must when seriously thinking of buying.

Regards
Fox