Mike Halliday

Re: Prices Topic Locked
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 12:28:48 pm »
Mike O I always think of these forums as blokes sat around a table in a pub, if you wouldn't say it there don't say it on a forum.

imagine if we were sat in the pub and someone we'd never met walked up and said.....

"do u carge perroom orper sq metre .wic one is better and how much?cheers"

I'd tell them to get lost! but if they were polite, introduced themselves, and asked politely I'd answer them.

maybe its just me but its the way I see it
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

suffolkclean

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:34 pm »
The written english was a lot better in his estimate enquiry!!

carlton care

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 07:36:08 pm »
Well, it was bound to happen and now you know what to expect. Basically, the same as what all trades are up against, with adverts appearing on lamp posts, at roundabouts and other junctions all over the place advertising and underquoting.

WHO INVITED THEM IN------------------WHO REFUSED TO STOP THE FLOW----------------------WHO CLAIMED WE NEEDED THEIR SKILLS ?

The people you voted into government, that is, if you voted for the idealist twats who are currently in charge of the UK

Unless something dramatic happens, It will get a lot worse.

Anyone who thinks they won't be affected is burying their head in the sand.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:54 pm »
Rob hopefully the clients I aim for don't get their trademen off lamppost ;)

if there are immigrant legally entering this country and starting up in carpet cleaning then I honestly wish them every success, and will only say, if you want to be a success in this country then learn to speak our language.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carlton care

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:35:09 pm »
Mike

Marketing is marketing and prominent adverts at traffic lights and junctions are seen several times by people of all sectors.

Did a job this week for a lady who'd hired a Rug Doctor and was disappointed! What amazed me, was the fact that their home was in a very select and extremely expensive location.

Even her wall paper was commisioned !

So why on earth would someone like that hire a DIY machine?

Her answer, was. " I thought it was a simple little task and not worth getting someone in "

Immigration ?

With thousands of young unemployed men hanging about our streets. Newly qualified doctors / teachers / nurses unable to find work why do we need immigration ?

robert m

elliott cleaning

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 08:56:14 pm »
"Why do we need immigration"?    You make it sound as though this is something new. Immigration has been with us since the 1950's.
As for all these thousands of young unemployed men hanging around the streeets that you refer to, why don't they kick off by doing carpet cleaning till something in their desired line comes up.
At least it would keep them off the streets.

As for criticising their ability to put a perfect sentence together;  would just love to see most on here string a coherent sentence together on a foreign trade forum ;)

garyj

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 09:51:33 pm »
For someone who does not want to encourage or become involved in "banter" you are doing a pretty poor job Elliot. Funny how you cry freedom of speech when it suits you, but you can say what you want, and criticise the grasp of English that some nationals have on here.  While we have a bit of freedom left I would like to exercise my right and say enough is enough it is time for SOME immigrants to go home, many are here to milk the system and enjoy the ride, the hard working ones get tarred with the same brush, thats life, get over it.

At least if I was to move abroad and join a foreign trade forum I would not be rude enough and ignorant enough to tell THEM how to write, speak and behave and inflict my misguided beliefs on them as you do. If you don't like it, you know where the door is.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 10:02:42 pm »
I would suspect that some immigrants may go home with the current economic climate, I would probably suspect that Mrs, Bucket wants a nice Englishman to walk into her home suited and booted and do a lovely job on her axminster but at a more favourable rate than the well spoken Franchiseman or other professional at double the first guys price, a pigeon english speaking eastern european doesn't fit the bill when she has her family silver on the side board.

This would be a hard profession for foreigners to get into because it's all about trust and stereotypically foreign works aren't seen as trust worthy as they have potentially illegally entered the country.

Ah but that's Britain for you, aren't we all immigrants though??

Shaun

Karl Wildey

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 10:08:31 pm »
you forgot the dyslexic drunk,

'he drown on his own vimto'

garyj

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 10:08:48 pm »

Ah but that's Britain for you, aren't we all immigrants though??
Shaun

No, I come from Hampshire stock and no one has ever married outside the immediate family for 3,000 years. ( shame my parents died young and I am an only child, with no sister the bloodline is going stop at me ).

derek west

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 10:09:29 pm »
the more people that enter britain, the more carpets get dirty.
glass is always half full.
derek

carlton care

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
Love your eternal optimism Derek..................so far the only immigrants carpets I've cleaned have been the kind you don't really want.

robert m

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 10:25:45 pm »
Spot on Derek, Gary do you think the gene poll will be a bit low then? you haven't got an X files style of township have you?

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 12:00:36 am »
For someone who does not want to encourage or become involved in "banter" you are doing a pretty poor job Elliot. Funny how you cry freedom of speech when it suits you, but you can say what you want, and criticise the grasp of English that some nationals have on here.  While we have a bit of freedom left I would like to exercise my right and say enough is enough it is time for SOME immigrants to go home, many are here to milk the system and enjoy the ride, the hard working ones get tarred with the same brush, thats life, get over it.

At least if I was to move abroad and join a foreign trade forum I would not be rude enough and ignorant enough to tell THEM how to write, speak and behave and inflict my misguided beliefs on them as you do. If you don't like it, you know where the door is.

Where does all that come from Garyj?

....cry freedom of speech when it suits you, but you can say what you want...  ??? :  Well that would indicate freedom of speech but where in my post does that arise

....thats life, get over it.    : What is it that I have to get over?

....inflict my misguided beliefs on them as you do.    :  What beliefs am I inflicting on you? ???

Somewhat bemused by your post

Jim_77

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 12:35:22 am »
Immigration has been with us since the 1950's.

Immigration has been with us since before the Romans!

We're all bloody immigrants :)

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:47 am »
Mike H

I'm sure Johnny L's English is better than your Romanian.  ;)

I'm sure he'll get there.

If I moved to Romania I'd want to spwak the lingo asap, but I wouldn't speak perfect Romainian from day one and there's only one way to do so.

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:27 am »
Mike the point is that English is the international language, almost everybody around the world can speak at least some english!

When i spent some time in the middle east i was surprised to see the shop signs, they had the name in two languages, Arabic and English. English name was in big writing and the Arabic was in small writing underneath.

as for all being immagrants, you English can speak for yourselves I'm Cornish. We also have our own language but choose to speak the international language for the sake of our stupid neighbours ;D 8)

Cheers Goron

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 10:29:03 am »
Am I being thick here. The guy is trying to speak English, worse still write it. So it's not perfect ::)

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 10:34:57 am »
Mike you said

I'm sure Johnny L's English is better than your Romanian.

that is bound to be true because like i have already said everybody speaks english as it is the international language.

Cheers Goron

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 10:52:59 am »
Well I think a lot of people speak american thanks to SkyTV

My main point is if he was English and semi-illiterate would you dismiss answering his questions?

I can think of at least a couple for very good members on here who are briliant CC and helpful who I have a very hard time understanding their posts.

And then there's the Mrs' texts but those are impossinble to read. ::)