*paul_moss

Wool Carpet smell
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:19:59 am »
Anybody know why it is that when cleaning some wool carpets that you get a strong smell like cat pee. ???
I did one yesterday it was a loop pile wool,after the prespray with the m/s which was only misted over the carpets it gave off this horrible wiff.

A deodoriser in the rinse helped get rid of it and it was completly gone when  the carpet dried.

Most of us must come across this,and I used to  put it down to over wetting but clearly that cannot be the reason on misting m/s.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

jacko

Re: Wool Carpet smell
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 08:22:22 am »
In my experience most wool carpets have given off that smell. Pleased to say it does vanish when dry!

*paul_moss

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 12:04:31 pm »
Jacko true most do,but i am wondering why some have a very strong odour and what actually causes it.

paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 02:11:51 pm »
I usually tell Sir/Madam that it is reassuring in that the wet sheep odour helps to confirm that they have a good quality wool carpet ::)  To be honest, after all these years, I've become de-sensitised to all but the strongest of these odours. Being a natural, organic fibre, wet wool will be more odourous than the inferior synthetic substitutes.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 03:37:57 pm »
i was always led to believe the smell from a wool carpet is perfectly normal,
and as qiute rightly stated "reassures the customer" that they have wool in there carpet,
 so am i correct in stating the smell is the natrual kerotin or lanolin within the
  wool , ingredients of wool on a sheeps back ;D ;D
  im sure if "ewe" smell a wet sheep it would smell the same  ;D
 geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

jacko

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 04:32:59 pm »
Geoff - your not trying to "Pull the wool over our eyes ::)" are you?

I'd better stop bleating on b4 i get a roasting! :D

Ba Ba for now

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 04:35:59 pm »
Thanks Geoff cos i live in wales i think i will just pop out as it  is raining now and have a small of a sheep :o to  see if its the same. ;D
paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 04:37:20 pm »
My typing is s**t  i meant a smell of a sheep
 :D
paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 05:45:29 pm »
Geoff,

It could hardly be the lanolin, since this is all but removed during processing, along with other extractable matter.

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 05:51:28 pm »
John  any idea why the smell is some times stronger in certain carpets.It may be coincidance but i wonder if it has anything to do with the dying process as i find the smell stronger in white/cream carpets.

paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 05:59:41 pm »
Hi Paul,

I think that the smell is sometimes a combination of damp wool and damp backing.

Jute has its' own damp smell. Also the bonding agents (mixtures of latex, oil and filler) have varying formulations which can result in different odours.

The colour of the dye should not have an effect on the odour, since the dye sites are closed during manufacture, but can be opened by the cleaner by use of excess heat.

woodman

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 09:04:39 am »
Natural smells from a natural fibre

The reason that sometimes the smell is more pronounced on some carpets than on others is probably due to the weight of the wool carpet you are cleaning ie more fibres per square inch = more fibre to smell.

Bonding agents such as latex would only be a factor on secondary backed wool carpets and not woven and cleaning at high temperature can sometimes cause the latex to give off an odor,( to me it smells a bit fishy ;D)mixed in with the damp wool smells this can become quite severe but soon goes as it dries.

Like others I just say to the lady of the house that it just proves the quality of the carpet she has.