Poll

Not Xmas time but on average what do you like to gross pre vat or no vat?

£150 or less
15.7%
22 (15.7%)
£150-200
17.1%
24 (17.1%)
£200-250
22.1%
31 (22.1%)
£250-300
12.1%
17 (12.1%)
£300-350
13.6%
19 (13.6%)
£350-400
2.9%
4 (2.9%)
£400-450
2.9%
4 (2.9%)
£450-500
2.9%
4 (2.9%)
£500+
10.7%
15 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Shaun_Ashmore

How much are you happy taking per day?
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:56 pm »
This is a POLL so knowone will see your answer so it's no use lyeing or you'll be lying to yourself!

Shaun

Re: How much are you happy taking per day?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:51:22 pm »
Ok who's the funny guy who AVERAGES £500 a day  ???

Darren O

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:05:59 pm »
Work 3 days carpet cleaning and 3 days window cleaning usually make about £200 a day carpet cleaning average job ticket is £57 done 3 suites today made a grand total of £195 need to put my prices up after new year.

David_Annable

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:42:33 pm »
Hi

I went for £250/£300.

All I have to do know is get it done in 3 hours.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:30 pm »
I'm aiming at earning £200 consistently. The key word here is consistently.

In particular I want to do it in one or two jobs. I have done two whole house cleans this week over £200 each. This suits me rather than driving around the county like a madman for £50. Although I'm not saying I'll turn them down. ;)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:11:55 pm »
What I'm saying is what do you set your realistic target for the day in a non Xmas market.

Shaun

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 05:30:15 pm »
Shaun

I assume you mean per "one man band"?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Joe H

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:30:44 pm »
Seems amazing that some are realisticly looking to turnover £125,000 per year.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 05:31:30 pm »
Well done that man! Yes per van.

Shaun

mark shannon

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:02 pm »
Aim for 350 but average only 250, but have had a few 500 days this year  :) Also a few 75 days :( its the average over the year that counts, but the big days are great motivators.

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »
Seems amazing that some are realisticly looking to turnover £125,000 per year.

I think this is a very misleading 'poll'. Sure, I bet most are 'happy taking' £3-500 per day but it's certainly not at all typical. We obviously have the UK's highest earning carpet cleaners participating in this topic but if you were to ask members what they thought other peoples average earnings were from carpet cleaning, halving these figures would be more accurate.

People need to take these 'results' with a very large pinch of salt I'm afraid, particularly if they're about to part with a significant amount of money to buy equipment!

Regards

Mike

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:47:10 pm »
Mike if you want to lock it I have no problem it was done with a bit of fun and education in mind.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »
no need to lock it, it quite interesting to do the maths on the £500 a day figures.

these guys  must be vat registered so its actually £590 or £2900 a week or £140,000 a year if they allow 4 weeks holiday

they must be earning over a £100 an hour on every job or they will be working very long hours.

Mike

ps I put £250
 :)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Bennie25

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:01 pm »
We should all note the poll said 'what we would LIKE to take a day' not 'what we do as an average'

might be worth doing a second poll for the latter

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 08:43:05 pm »
Mike if you want to lock it I have no problem it was done with a bit of fun and education in mind.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

It's not that I would want to lock it, it's just that sometimes people tend to exaggerate and it makes it seem like carpet cleaning is easy money - that's not good for anyone.

'0-Porsche in six months' rarely happens!

Merry Xmas

Mike

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 09:37:45 pm »
At Xmas time my daily turnover is more than in the middle of the year and inturn is more than the biggining of the year, I averaged by the middle of the year.

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 06:53:17 am »
For some reason you guys inThe North have cracked the secret.

Spent time in East Yorkshire and now spending time in Sheffield and Bradford moving kids around every six months

I cant see gold lined streets , just rows and rows of terraced houses

carpet guy

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 09:25:41 am »
What is interesting, is that more people are being honest and realistic in these discussions, also interesting, is to look back at postings of 4 years ago and you will find that some are charging 2/3 times what they charged then.

One of the main things people have to realise, is that it takes time, as in every walk of life to get up to a higher level of earnings and while it's great to provide a target, for new starts, they should also understand, IT TAKES A COUPLE OF YEARS AT LEAST to get into the midde ground.

I know one or two, have started off, done some sales / marketing and projected themselves immediately, into the top end..............that is a hell of a gamble and only the really brass necked will get off with this approach, but it can work for some. A very small some!

mark_roberts

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 05:30:19 pm »
I find polls like this interesting in two ways.

Firstly for those who can average £500 a day week in week out.  Hats off to them for running a successful business assuming their a one man operation.   I can fully believe this can be achieved but I at the minute dont.

Secondly i find it hard to believe how people can operate a business on less that £150 a day.  It cost me more than £50 a day to run my business so leaving £100 a day for profit, wages, tax, sickness, pension etc etc.  Youd be better off in Tescos.  Fair enough if your just starting but for those established a few years how on earth do you survive.

Mark

PS. I dont believe Mike only earns £250.  Thats means hes home for 11:30 :o

Mark

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 05:40:20 pm »
I start at 8 so that's 10.30 :D :D

I do aim for £250 that's my fail-safe amount, I usually go higher and that's a bonus.

I have a unusual working practice, I start the day by visiting Cafe Neros for a 3 shot Latte and either 2 almond croissants or 2 pan-a- raisins. I read the morning papers then of to the first job. I go back  for a morning coffee and usually go back for a leisurely lunch. this might sound strange but like I've said before I've cultivated my work into a very tight area, I'm never more than 5mins away from Cafe Neros, I know all the staff and meet a lot of other regulars throughout the day

so I might often hit the £100/hr mark but I actually spend more time drinking coffee that working so that's why I don't earn £500 a day

Dennis

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 05:47:35 pm »
I start the day by visiting Cafe Neros for a 3 shot Latte and either 2 almond croissants or 2 pan-a- raisins.

Christ, they´ve gone posh in East Yorkshire these days!  ;D ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 05:52:40 pm »
I really get a no foam, 3 shot, skinny, vanilla, soya, mocha-chino but If I'd said that i would have sounded a bit girly :-* :-*

Dennis

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 06:21:58 pm »
I really get a no foam, 3 shot, skinny, vanilla, soya, mocha-chino but If I'd said that i would have sounded a bit girly :-* :-*

Doesn´t mean a thing to me, I´m still a mug of tea and a bacon roll off the market sort of person!  :D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 09:08:46 pm »
I set myself a target of £450 which I achieve at Xmas I set the goal posts higher but there are days when i don't reach it so looking at an average £450ish sounds about right don't you think?

Ian where abouts in Sheffield were you going? are the 'children' going to University?

Shaun

Glynn

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 10:23:59 pm »
Shaun
Why didn't you post this on truckmounters ?
Regards
Glynn

Scotbrite

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 09:08:32 am »
Hi Guys,
Mike u sound like u have really got it sussed lol. Thats what i call being ur own boss.
Merry Christmas to all here,
Regards,
Ron

liahona

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 08:12:16 pm »
What we take and what we are happy taking are two different things but that has already been mentioned.  I pressume as maybe most that this topic is related to what we are taking.  I feel by choice most people would want to be taking higher amounts, anyway........

Rob, I only go back about a year and a half on here and have noticed what you have said about some prices doubled or trebled is quite correct.  My pennies worth on that, especially knowing some of those, even if just on here, is that they have changed the way they are cleaning which in return commands a higher return.  If people start by cleaning the way they should then there is no reason they cant start charging higher prices.

Many on here have gone from a measly sum to a more acceptable return for a days work simply but what they are doing now as opposed to then.

I appreciate different people need different amounts per day with regards their own expenses but that shouldnt be the idea behind how we price things.  We need to keep them in mind of course but as all my "stuff" is paid for doesnt mean I should be happy taking a less amount for what I do than someone else who has to pay for a van, truckmount or anything else.

A year ago I dont think there would have been so many in the 500 a day list so it is a good thing that the industry is getting on so to speak.

All we need to do now is get those in the 150 a day out of there and into the 3 or 400's.

Best, Dave.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »
What we take and what we are happy taking are two different things but that has already been mentioned.  I pressume as maybe most that this topic is related to what we are taking.  I feel by choice most people would want to be taking higher amounts, anyway........

Rob, I only go back about a year and a half on here and have noticed what you have said about some prices doubled or trebled is quite correct.  My pennies worth on that, especially knowing some of those, even if just on here, is that they have changed the way they are cleaning which in return commands a higher return.  If people start by cleaning the way they should then there is no reason they cant start charging higher prices.

Many on here have gone from a measly sum to a more acceptable return for a days work simply but what they are doing now as opposed to then.

I appreciate different people need different amounts per day with regards their own expenses but that shouldnt be the idea behind how we price things.  We need to keep them in mind of course but as all my "stuff" is paid for doesnt mean I should be happy taking a less amount for what I do than someone else who has to pay for a van, truckmount or anything else.

A year ago I dont think there would have been so many in the 500 a day list so it is a good thing that the industry is getting on so to speak.

All we need to do now is get those in the 150 a day out of there and into the 3 or 400's.

Best, Dave.

one of the best post ive seen on here

ive gone from about 90ish aday too about 170ish in eight months ok it may not be as good as some people but we are getting there ,  thats three jobs aday havnt quite got to doing five aday with the truckmount but its the next step from march the 1ST new van new area and new prices to go with it guess we have been mulling alone for too long far to long

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 08:59:37 pm »
Glynn I thought I'd see what the full spectrum of cleaners was doing not just the TMers, I'm sure you'll agree I do post polls on their very regularly and didn't want to become too prodictive.

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:08 pm »
Just started in October and avereging 300.00 a day.But next month booked at $500.00 a day doing Primary schools.Wishing I'd got a TM now.

Merry Christmas evryone. :)

carpet guy

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 11:52:47 pm »
Carpetworx

Is the schoolwork carpeted or hard flooring as the carpeted areas in U K schools is reducingeach year and cleaning carpets is not on the regular agenda.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 05:20:56 am »
I set myself a target of £450 which I achieve at Xmas I set the goal posts higher but there are days when i don't reach it so looking at an average £450ish sounds about right don't you think?

Ian where abouts in Sheffield were you going? are the 'children' going to University?

Shaun

Hi Shaun.

Helens got a job at Rotherham College as Animal Tech/ Trainer

Thought she would live in your city as there is more life than Rotherham.
But noticed Mr Bluckett says No decent Resturants 

There was also a competion for Sheffields most Handsome man did you win.

It must be the South side before you get to  city centre.

Matts at Bradford finnishing his Phd but also doing odd jobs to pay rent etc as Funding has run out.

Thought this country wanted Scientists.

Then I will have a Doctor  on my board.

Might send him back with Machine I am told you can get £6 metre in Bradford

He would only need to work for two hours/

Mike Halliday

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 10:05:23 am »
while working as an employee has anyone done any health & safety at work seminars or has anyone worked as a health & safety officer? if you had you would know why the above poll is a load of B/S.

as an example if you look at a graph of accidents at work  a true representation of accidents that occor from minor to serious(death being the most serious) it will look like a pyramid,  the biggest at the bottom will be minor accident and slowly as you move up the number will decrease so comeimg to a point where you will find deaths, which will obviously be the least number.

this pyramid phenomena is evident throughout life and its amazing how it will constantly crop up.

now look at the poll on earnings it should be a pyramid with the majority being at the bottom and as the daily earnings raises the number should steadily decrease until you reach the high earners who will be the smallest number. but we have11 people saying the earn £500 but just below it only 1 ` says he earns £450 and only 3 say between £350 .

sorry but this can't be right. it doesnt work out.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 10:23:52 am »
This market research is flawed in the question

Happy Taking  does not mean you take it

If You take £200 a day you are misserable if you take £500 you are happy

Would Like to take

Well I  would like to take 20K a week from all activities

I do not but would like to acheive this.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 10:35:06 am »
Mike

You are talking about the bell curve theory and you are right.

However it would apply to the full spectrum of all CC. I think here you are getting self selection, with the better earners pitching in, less so those who are not doing so well. And of course there is an element of ego boosting BS too.

Joe H

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 10:44:03 am »
Assuming the overheads for a truck mount are higher then a portable and therefore what they need to take is going to be higher, then it may have been more accurate to have 2 polls.
But the poll as it stands has stimulated constructive discussion - objective achieved!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 10:59:12 am »
Mike I was hoping it would'nt have a name then we could call it the 'Halliday' theory :D

but its still a bit strange that only 1 person admits to earning £450 and 11 @  £500

Mike

Doug Holloway

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 11:24:50 am »
Hi Mike

Your Pyramid theory is distorted by there being an upper limit but if you add the first two together you have a rough pyramid until the upper 'aspirational' limit.

The poll can be interpreted in many ways,  but we have all done 500 plus and maybe for some that is all that makes them happy.

I averaged out what i would consider a good 5 day week amount but would obviously be happy taking 3000 but not if I had to work my proverbials off.

Cheers

Doug

*paul_moss

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 02:15:27 pm »
Doug, I thought you lost your proverbials years ago  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 05:49:14 pm »
Ian you may find that rents are cheaper in Rotherham but the 'going out scene' is far better in Sheffield as it has a greater student culture as we have 2 Universities so back to work for you soon then?

As for the best looking man I had to give the title up after winning it too many times ::)

Shaun

jasonl

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 07:24:43 am »
Shaun,,,, you did not win it too many times,,,, I moved to Sheffield !
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 10:47:08 am »
I've a very low overhead business, and ditto the essentials for my personal life. So my income is relatively low, but my disposable income quite high.

£100 per day will keep the food on the table.

£150 per day will keep the tax man happy.

£200 per day will keep me happy.

I don't have many days below £200.

I have a hell of a lot of days well in excess of £200. That makes me very happy.

Safe and happy Christmas :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2007, 11:27:42 am »
ken the Tax man should come before 'food on the table'  :-* :-*

Mike

sherco

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 10:27:40 pm »
If your earning £200 plus per day then you would probably be vat registered, I'm a tiler by trade and i was vat registered and got bugger all private work, all site work, builders etc. So you guys doing domestic carpet cleaning do you struggle with the guy who are not, or do you not tell customers you are vat registered and include it in your price? I did find that when i was vat registered bigger firms took me a bit more seriously as a proper business.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

carpetworx

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 07:31:27 am »
Carpetguy
sorry for late reply,just back from Sydney.
yes all schools here carpeted except hallways.

psg

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:52 pm »
Mike,
Ive seen some of your machines from the past you are lucky they got you through the day never mind making 500 a day.

jim

Mike Halliday

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »
Jim which Mike you refering to?

was it you that bought some T/M and kit off me 2-3years ago we did it through Richard at chemspec?

psg

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »
Thats the one

How are u this weather still making more dosh than you can spend.

Fully refurbed them  the whole way through must post couple photos. bought another 4 and 3 them near finished. Shot blast full metal respray and everything stripped & rebuilt.

jim