Radek Jablonski

Scorpion xps pump problem
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:54:59 pm »
Hi

Since I got my scorpion I am still having problems with the pump hose bung. It was rare weeks ago but is gettting worse every day. Today I just stoped working I cancelled my jobs, having big job tomorrow and do not know if I can work with that pump. Movie shows the problem.
There is no problem with pressure and water flow, just that banging.
What can it be?
I think it is not an airlock. Could it be something with brass regulator?
It happens on any pressure, regulator very out or in.

http://youtu.be/CGI7z8dKXCw

Mike Halliday

Re: Scorpion xps pump problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »
Is the black high pressure hose leading into the regulator a swivel fitting ( meaning you can unscrew it from the regulator  without needing to disconnect the other end from the pump)

Disconnect it and turn on the pump, allow the water to be freely pumped out. (Aim it away from the machine)

Does it still make the same noise?

Is it does then its the pump head, if it does'nt then it might be the regulator
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:05 pm »
Never had anything like that, the only thing that occurs to me is the cam bearing or water starvation or running dry which can pitt the surfaces hence the noise due to wear. Run you finger on the underside where the pump head meets the body, look for black grease. I did a pump head like that before I knew any better. Do you know when the machine was last serviced, pump head might need a good overhaul?

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »
Is the black high pressure hose leading into the regulator a swivel fitting ( meaning you can unscrew it from the regulator  without needing to disconnect the other end from the pump)

Disconnect it and turn on the pump, allow the water to be freely pumped out. (Aim it away from the machine)

Does it still make the same noise?

Is it does then its the pump head, if it does'nt then it might be the regulator

Mike, the swivel is close to the pump not on the regulator.
I did disconnect that hose from the regulator and the water flow is not ideally constant. So, the pump head you say? What kit should I buy?

Russ Chadd

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:35 pm »
Radek

With respect mate, there sounds to be NO problem from your old pump.

That purring/ banging noise you can hear is the pump working, nothing more, nothing less. As you can appreciate as pump motors wear they tend to get a little louder, but after speaking to a long term Scorpion & now Jaguar owner (who by the way has seen the video), he has confirmed that this is an almost identical running noise to his Scorpion.

A brand new Pump-Tec pump motor with head will sound lightly quieter & smoother but over time it becomes bedded in, used & starts to wear, as it wears it becomes noisier but does not detract from its performance, especially as a well maintained Pump_tec pump should last for years

Run some acidic rinse through from the fresh water tank occasionally to help keep it scale free

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »
Russ I dont think so.
I think that the flow on the yellow hose in the solution tank should be on constant (like it was before on most of time) not bouncing like now.

Mike, cleansmart sales as follow:
Kit A Pumptec plunger/seal
Kit B Pumptec valves
Kit C Cam bearing

Which should I buy?
Can I use it for few days before I do service Mike or it may do some seriouse damage?

Neil Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:30:32 pm »
I'm with Russ, sounds fine to me. What is the spray like from your wand/upholstery tool? Shame you burnt your bridges!!!!

JandS

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:31 pm »
Sounds fine to me too.
Mine's and oldish Pumptec and it sounds
just like that.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »
more can be seen here

http://youtu.be/0xNa-kK6MKw

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:05:43 pm »
If the vibration on the yellow hose has altered (And i don't think it looks normal) then  some thing has changed either like suggested the pump is just getting old or the regulator is faulty

But the flow on the handtool looks normal how does it look on a wand is it constant  flow with normal pressure?

Russ & JandS are saying it sounds exactly like theirs  so I would agree with them that this is how a pumptec sounds as it gets old.

As the pulsation is only evident when its bypassing and not on the solution line leading to the tool  I still think it's a regulator problem.

If it is the pump head then it could  be high or low pressure seals or the cam. It needs looking at by some one experienced with those pumps or you could just buy all 3 and give your pump a needed service.

But rule out the regulator first

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »
on the wand everything is ok, constant pressure and flow with any pressure set

pulsation is also a bit on the solution line leading to the tool, but I think that it is becouse bung transfer from the inside of the machine

what to do with regulator? unscrew the outside brass (that what is outside of the casing) and see what inside?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 04:28:18 pm »
Strip it out and soak the parts in descaler over night

Or put it in the tank run it through the pump and let it sit in the pump lines & regulator over night to give everything a good clean

But check the pump will handle  a strong acid.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »
The pulsating coming from the return pipe looks intermittent... If you are going to perform a de scale never use a strong acid on this type of pump! i would use something like what you would use to de scale a kettle or coffee machine... fill the tank with 5 litres of hot water and add the de scaler.
Stick an open ended pipe from the quick connect output back into the tank and allow to recirculate for a good 45 mins... flush with clean water!

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:37:07 pm »
Strip it out and soak the parts in descaler over night

ca not today as I have a job to do tomorrow, so will do on saturday night
you mean regulator inside parts?

Or put it in the tank run it through the pump and let it sit in the pump lines & regulator over night to give everything a good clean

sorry mike, do not understand :)
do you mean put the hand tool to the solution tank and run over the night?

But check the pump will handle  a strong acid.

what you mean by checking the pump? open it? If yes, Nick said that pump can not be opened without repleacing the parts which I do not have at the moment.

edit:
Russ, will look for descaler tomorrow and will try
thank's for help

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:10 pm »
btw: I have a final phase, should I try it? if yes what dilution do you recommend?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 04:44:53 pm »
Do as russ suggested (he typed it clearer than me) you need to run descaler through the full machine

I always use this to descaler my pump & anything hat requires an acid bath.

http://www.totalboilerspares.com/ourshop/prod_1591754-DS3-FERNOX-DS3.html

Or use white vinegar good & very safe.... but takes longer

Russ Chadd

Mark Slaney

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »

My Scorpion's pump sounds exactly like that, nothing wrong with that either.  ;)

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 06:06:10 pm »
got the last boxes of descaler from schop and just doing it

it is still bouncing but faster and not that agresive, nearly not visible, more constatant, will see.

AshWhite

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:58 pm »
Russ, they're on offer in Aldi at the moment for £1.69, picked up a load today.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk