Dan Walker

Winter protection
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:45 pm »
Hi All

I have always brought my machine hoses and wands in the house overnight on the colder winter months when minus temps are forecast. This was fine until I bought a larger machine with more hoses now it's becoming a pain.

Do you do the same or do you leave yours in the vehicle overnight?
Advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

wynne jones

Re: Winter protection
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »
Put a small heater in the van. If you are on the road and can't run a flex then yes it will be a pain bringing it in. You could insulate the van well and you would be ok down to -2. Or you could run in some anti freeze at night and out in the morning. But don't forget otherwise you will have a blue carpet.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

mark turton

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:44 pm »
Hi Mate
Im a window cleaner that has a van mounted pure water system and ensuring it dont freeze is important to me too. As filters casings can rupture and pipes and valves freeze etc.

I use a greenhouse heater that i bought from some diy shed for about 20/30quid, it has a frost setting so it isnt going all night only to keep an ambient temp. Go in back of van in morning its toasty (i dont know what it cost me on the electric tho)
Other guys have used oil radiators/electric but same say that aint all that effective.

im not sure about wrapping van up tho coz some guys claim that air flow helps to reduce risk of freezing (hence car ports are surprisingly good for this) - when some guys have wrapped van up they have still had freezing coz once cold sets in holds the temperature.

hope this helps -
p.s the electric cord of heater managers to squeeze through back doors of van whilst its locked.
mark

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:08 pm »
Winter protection?

Fur-lined condom :D

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »
Was told yours were "fur" lined because they'd been in your pocket that long :)

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:01:32 pm »
I just typed a reply to that John, but in retrospect I'll keep it off the forum :D

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:30 pm »
Electric thermastatically controlled fan heater. When it gets colder old quilts to reduce the volume of air to be heated. When it reaches really cold I cover the van over with tied down tarpaulins each night to create another layer of protection.

derek west

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »
winter protection?

wooly condom ;D

Richard Meads

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »
My van is insulated, I put a oil filled radiator in the back, but the porty, is indoors mostly because it only in goes in the van if I get one of those job where I can't use the TM. I used to bring it in every night, and it's up a flight of stairs to my front door.

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »
Derek, scroll up

derek west

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »
posh southern version. ;D