wayne zabel

I understood that PolyProp cant have Stainguard
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:25 am »
We are in the process of looking at buying a new lounge carpet and have been browsing the net and came across a few carpet sites.

On one it says that a PP carpet is treated with stainguard.I understood that PP cant accept a guard,is this so or have things changed?

I always tell customers that PP cant been treated as this is what I was told on courses.

Confused ???

Mike Halliday

Re: I understood that PolyProp cant have Stainguard
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:03 am »
can you give a link to the carpet?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

wayne zabel

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:57 am »
Not very good at doing links but the site is www.ezflooring.co.uk

On the associated weavers part it lists carpets as 100% PP and scotchguard protected

wayne zabel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
WHOOPS I think I should have gone to Specsavers,Its not PP but Polyamide.

Can this thread be deleted ;D

garyj

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:58 am »
I understood that polyprops can be treated but its a waste of time as they are near on bullet proof anyway. If I'm wrong I hope this thread gets deleted too  ;)

wayne zabel

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
I understood that the PP fibre being basically a plastic wont absorb stainguard

derek west

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
solvent protectors are slowly being banned in america.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
no need to deleted this as you just misread the website not that you lack a knowledge of fibre characteristics and it bring up an interesting topic about protecting manmade fibres.

on the point of protecting manmade fibres, I read last week about a carpet cleaner in the USA who sells protector on 90% of all jobs but considering that in the USA most carpets are man made how can he justify this?

and I once read that stain-guard imparts anti-static properties to a carpet so protecting PP is not totally a waste of money....don't know how true this is
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »
I have tested this on my own carpets, a polyprop to stairs and landing, cleaned and left for a few months and then cleaned and staingarded after,  they definitley stayed cleaner with the staingard.

i did this just to prove something to myself, as i know polys cant absorb any staingard but in my opinion there still is a measure of protection form the staingard.

Has anyone else found this ?

Regards
Steve

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »
There is actually a school of thought that it is worthwhile protecting Polyprops. The fibres in the carpet are prone to abrasion which can cause dullness and harbour dirt. Protecting them may prevent this happening to some degree.

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:14:03 am »
Polyamide is just a fancy term for Nylon ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamide

Nylon does absorb to a certain degree, but obviously nowhere near the same as wool.  Still, protector is well worth applying.

Of course protector can be applied to polyprop - it simply bonds to the outside of the fibres.  It is nowhere near as long lasting as with absorbent textiles, as it is easier removed.  As long as the client is fully informed that it does not work in the same way as on wool, there is no problem.

I have quite a few clients with PP carpets who have them cleaned and protected on a regular basis, they are kept in fantastic condition.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »
What I have always understood, is that PP although a man made like Nylon and both a derivative of oil, contains properties that prevent protector (Fluorocarbon) from curing, whereas Nylon will accept it.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

John Milnes

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:45 pm »
There is polyprop which IS near bullet proof to my understanding.

This is the one where the salesman says that even bleach does not affect it.

I'v cleaned quite a few of these and you preaspray,agitate, hwe and walk away, where even coffee stains have come out easily.

I'm not well up on this and others will know better....it's the one where the colour is bonded into the fiber and not permiable, so the colour cannot be changed or stained.

I bought one of these some years ago in another property and had no problems with it.

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:21 am »
What type of "bleach"?

"bleach cleanable" carpet is a bit of a sales gimmick I think.  I seem to recall if you read the small print it says something like 10% bleach solution.  Someone on here has had experience of this, I forget who it is, own up!

I think a customer had put neat bleach on the carpet after reading the "bleach cleanable" bit and then read the small print afterwards when it bleached the colour out of the carpet.

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
That kind of marketing should be banned. The thoughts of someone cleaning their carpet with a bleach solution, then a young baby crawling around on it is frightening.

murky

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:35 pm »
I used to have a polyprop loop pile carpet that I bought before I got into this game.

When I started this game the then missus would get me to clean and then apply protector. Well I would spray it if I hade some on the van but often tell her I had sprayed it when I hadnt.

After a while I could tell the difference when I had treated it and hadnt, it definatly cleaned up better when it had been treated and it was easier to vac as well.

Murky