Jamie Lindsay

waste water
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:24:27 pm »
just a quick question for the guys with portables... were do you put the waste water?

do you empty it in customers home or leave with it ??

M.Acorn

Re: waste water
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:27:37 pm »
Sometime bring it home and use it as a base for a nice winter warming soup,depending on which restaurant i have just cleaned  ;D

Put it down custy`s bog,then flush a few times to get rid of all the sand that is normally sucked up.
What goes around comes around

Steven Taylor

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:31 pm »
Normally down bog  :-[

Sometimes down outside drain (if no-ones looking)  :-\

clinton

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »
Take it home with you mate.. ;)

Steven Taylor

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:47:47 pm »
Take it home with you mate.. ;)

Take it home  ???  ???

Carry up to 60 gallons or more of dirty water back HOME  ??? ARE YOU SERIOUS?  :-[

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »
Clinton collects it in a big paddling pool in his back garden.  He uses it to wash his hair in :D

Steven Taylor

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »
Clinton collects it in a big paddling pool in his back garden.  He uses it to wash his hair in :D

;D  ;D  :D  Nice one

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
seriously tho do yous dispose before leaving the house ?

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »
Yes
down the loo or kitchen drain outside the house.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »
I pour the slop down the loo or outside down a drain << only if its a one carpet job on ground level!

Of course, you show old Vera the state of her muck before flushing, while saying "geee wizzz your the worse i've seen all week!!"  ;) ;)

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:57:49 pm »
seriously tho do yous dispose before leaving the house ?

What else do you think you are going to do with it ?

Or maybe you reckon you can lift your porty back into the van with an extra 40 kilos of weight in it !

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
how old Vera the state of her muck before flushing, while saying "geee wizzz your the worse i've seen all week!!"  Wink Wink

I try and not over react now,I am sure people have been so embarrassed when i have showed them the filthy jet black sludge i got out too call me again !!
What goes around comes around

Colin Day

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »
I stick vodka in it and sell it to students..... And everyone wonders why they're all going mad ;D

derek west

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »
us truckers are missing a trick there, one up for the porty's.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:13 pm »
Derek stick to your viking you won't get drunk on that just wet the bed ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

clinton

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »
Jim ;D

trouble it froze last week ;D

wayne zabel

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:25 pm »
I always tell the clients that I have seen far worse when showing them the dirty water,that way they dont feel too bad and think that they have the dirtiest house in town.

Aren't we supposed to put the water down the toilet only and not the drains?

Linds Russell

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »
Down the bog.

If you get caught putting water out of your tank down an outside drain, you could face trouble regardless of whether you are using all environmentally friendly solutions or not.

You could be fined and lose your living all in one go.
Linds

clinton

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 07:55:04 pm »
Wayne its the storm drains we caint put the water down,i sometimes throw it over the soil in there garden etc.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »
I used to throw the dog turds over the wall into the old lady's garden, on the grass next door. Told her she had moles ::)
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Jim_77

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »
I used to throw the dog turds over the wall into the old lady's garden, on the grass next door. Told her she had moles ::)

hahahaah :D :D

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 10:01:30 pm »
how old Vera the state of her muck before flushing, while saying "geee wizzz your the worse i've seen all week!!"  Wink Wink

I try and not over react now,I am sure people have been so embarrassed when i have showed them the filthy jet black sludge i got out too call me again !!

Nah!

What you say is" don't be embarrassed madam. look at it this way. The blacker the water, the better the job I must have done". Thus proving I must be the right cleaner for them as I have managed to get so much muck out and for such a small amount of money.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Joe H

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »
A kitchen outside grid is usually going into the same pipe as the loo - sewer drain, so thats ok.
Rainwater drain - not ok

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 11:03:38 pm »
A kitchen outside grid is usually going into the same pipe as the loo - sewer drain, so thats ok.
Rainwater drain - not ok

Usual arguement. So it's ok for the everyday debris to go down these drains, droplets of engine oil/grease from the road surface, fragments of plastic/rubber, detergents from people washing their cars, but hey let's not put dirty water from carpets which will contain the debris from outside pollutants down there.
Yes I know there's a law but sometimes it's just not thought out.

JD Calhoon

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »
We have a similar law here. If a law enforcment or Government Oficcer was to see you in the process of unloading your portable into a sidewalk drain, you would be given a citation on the spot! I run the portable from my truck and pump it into barrels.
They intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.  Aldous Huxley

Joe H

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 08:40:52 am »
Then what do you do with the water in the barrels

Get out of town and then drop down a roadside grid ?

Dennis

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17:23 am »
Then what do you do with the water in the barrels

Boil off the water and make the residue into that pickle stuff in McDonalds.   ;)

benny d

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
I saw this drain in San Fransisco.
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

PaulKing

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 05:57:04 pm »
Considering all water in the Eu unlike the US is treated before release is there actually a distinction between which drain you use, Only in time of flooding is untreated sweage released and then it Turds and all that goes out

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

JD Calhoon

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »
It ain't no problem putting it on the grass at home. We have a small ranch and sure does make it grow. Not sure it's good for the livestock that's get to it but they sure don't seem to taste any different!  ;D
They intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.  Aldous Huxley

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 07:05:33 pm »
Well that's news to me, I usually pour it down a road drain.  Where is this law outlined?  Guess Im lucky I've never been caught.

JD Calhoon

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 07:12:45 pm »
I heard in Europe you could go to jail, but probably not that bad in England, just a hefty citation.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 08:08:10 pm »
I heard in Europe you could go to jail, but probably not that bad in England, just a hefty citation.

Don't know about other countries but Germany are strict to the extreme, you're not even allowed to wash your car anywhere other than a designated wash area which catches the detergents and oils.

clinton

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
I sometimes put the waste water on the grass too and filters naturlay away ;D

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
I sometimes put the waste water on the grass too and filters naturlay away

"And there M'Lord rests the case for the defence" :D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:48 pm »
One of our Carpet Cleaner customers had a bit of an incident this week.

Something I had never considered in the past tbh.

He disposed of the waste water in the toilet, as you do (or not, reading above)

Problem was it was a fairly new carpet that had shed a lot of pile when he cleaned it. There was also a lot of hair and he hadn't pre-vacuumed.

The toilet he disposed of the water in had a Saniflow unit installed. The fluff/hair jammed the macerator, blocked the pipe and it all backed up and over when flushed it.

Oops!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »
A couple of years ago I had an altercation with a shop owner as I was emptying my waste tank (TM) down a Foul Drain near the rear of his shop. He threatened to report me to the authorities. I knew I was in the clear but just in case contacted the local United Utilities Trade Effluent officer, to explain the problem.
He told me it was a very grey area and would get back to me. He did so a couple of days later. He told me they were going into a meeting and would make a ruling on the matter to clear up any misunderstandings.
He contacted me again to tell me that they had come to a decision and that this had now been laid down.
Basically it was this, Carpet Cleaners can dispose of their waste water (trade effluent) down ANY Foul Drain, but never any storm drain.
They prefer that we empty our waste water down the customers foul drain (this is usually the one that the kitchen and bathroom sink pipes drain into) if that's not possible (some modern houses don't have open drains) they say to take it home and empty down own Foul Drain or as a last resort down any KNOWN Foul Drain.
Road side and house runoff water (From gutters etc) drains often go straight into streams and rivers untreated and we must NOT use those.
This of course is the situation within my area and may differ in other areas, but it may help if you contacted your own Trade Effluent officer.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 12:11:58 am »
I was a civil engineer and dave yes you are right about wht you say