Simon Gerrard

Re: Technical query
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 06:18:07 am »
James,

If you're being forced to use very high solution temperatures in order to get the desired result it sounds like your pre-spray isn't doing its job effectively enough. A good pre-spray should produce a very high level of soil release and then suspend it within the fibres, which then only needs to be rinsed out using moderate temperatures. This not only ensures a thorough clean but drastically reduces the amount of water required to removed the loosened soil from the carpet and thereby reduces the risk of shrinkage and shortens the drying time. The only time high temperatures can be a benefit is when cleaning greasy restaurant carpets etc and even then the majority of the work should be done by the pre-spray and agitation done prior the extraction process.
Just a thought.

Simon

M.Acorn

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:22 am »
sounds like your pre-spray isn't doing its job effectively enough

That is what i was thinking,i only have the heat and run,and if i am working quick,it does not get uber hot,have had my Prochem hoses for 6 years now,they have had bit`s cut off,and new ends crimped on,but they are still fine,bought a new 25ft length,as 1 is a little bit shorter now.If i can`t get a carpet 100% then it`s either wear or it`s fluff from socks making it look dirty,got myself a really stiff bristle hand brush,and it`s made the world of difference on stairs,and the bit in front of the sofa`s
What goes around comes around

robert meldrum

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 07:51:18 am »
Have to agree..............you rarely need really high temperature to get clean carpets.

Case to point................

Yesterday because of access problems I had to use a 135psi portable / single vacuum / no heater and after carrying everything up three flights of stairs .........NO HOT WATER !
Did what I did 20 years ago - gave the carpet a heavier than normal " prespray " via the carpet wand  - topped up the solution tank - worked a bit harder than normal - collected £72 - went home to change out of  very wet shirt.

Yes heat would have made it EASIER but not necessarily given a better result.

derek west

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 08:06:39 am »
heat all the way for me, the hotter the better.

robert meldrum

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 08:14:56 am »
Heat definitely helps with the cleaning action and makes life easier. But not always necessary and as this post suggests has to be treated with respect.

I use to have an in line heater which I usually attached about 15 feet from the carpet wand but daren't leave it for more than a few seconds or it became a " steam jenny "

Simon Gerrard

Glynn

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »
Using high heat will increase chemical activity thus requiring less chemical and even a weaker chemical and using less water , equalling faster drying.
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »
Glyn,

The whole point of applying a pre-spray is to release the soil from the carpet and if it hasn't done that by the time you come to extract it then there is precious little high heat will do in the microseconds it is on the carpet to improve the result. The hot solution, but not necessarily super hot solution 's job is to flush the pre-loosened soil from the carpet. On domestics we use the Titan in divert mode and get solution temps of 170 - 180 degrees which is hot enough - anything beyond that is in my view unnecessary and undesirable.
Don't forget cuticle damage, your baldness  ;D

Glynn

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 05:24:17 pm »
I'm glad you said "in your view " Simone.
God knows .
Regards
Glynn

james roffey

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »
"Not usine the right prespray"  ???

The presprays in my van are

Powerburst, Ultrapac renovate, multi pro, prespray gold, Ultimate master, Nemesis

And these are ones that i have found through trawling the forums when i started in carpet cleaning, i still find the higher the heat the better it cuts through the grime and i still agitate too using my envirodri.

james roffey

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 05:41:13 pm »
Had mine now for 7 days short of a year and never a problem.
You get them from Ashbys??

John

Yes from Ashby's and very costly too.

james roffey

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »
James,

If you're being forced to use very high solution temperatures in order to get the desired result it sounds like your pre-spray isn't doing its job effectively enough. A good pre-spray should produce a very high level of soil release and then suspend it within the fibres, which then only needs to be rinsed out using moderate temperatures. This not only ensures a thorough clean but drastically reduces the amount of water required to removed the loosened soil from the carpet and thereby reduces the risk of shrinkage and shortens the drying time. The only time high temperatures can be a benefit is when cleaning greasy restaurant carpets etc and even then the majority of the work should be done by the pre-spray and agitation done prior the extraction process.
Just a thought.

I did a cream coloured polyprop in a grubby flat on Friday gave it a good vac, presprayed with ultrapac renovate quite strong mix let it dwell while i set up the hose and wand put some stuff back in van etc so it had a t least 20 min dwell it was still damp then extracted with inline heater on as high as it could go which i think is about 110c, now when i did not leave enough time between passes for the heat to reach max again it definately did not clean as well it was still hard work and multiple passes were needed the end result was good but i still think the heat was required

Jim Roffey

John Milnes

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 08:48:35 pm »
This is just my opinion about heat.

Not too long ago I used to use a Ninja 400 psi with an internal steam mate.
I rarely used the steam mate but when confronted with a heavily soiled carpet and going from tank heated to using the steam mate...there was no difference in results.

Perhaps the drying time would be slightly less but of no signifficance.

I now use an Airflex Turbo with no heater...just the warm water from the tap with an Envirodry.

As above, I would say the prespray and agitation with a capable machine are most important for quick and impressive results.

The nylon sleeving on the solution hose is a boon as you will never have the problem of hose marks on a carpet which can be  a nightmare to get rid of!

james roffey

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 09:51:08 pm »
Hpw does the Airflex compare to the Ninja ?

Doug Holloway

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 04:33:45 pm »
Hi Guys

There are obviously lots of factors invloved in cleaning, temperature, contact time, pH, surface tension, solubility, agitation, fibre composition, dirt composition, catalysts, rates of reaction, etc but in most situations we know heat cleans better because we see it!

Cheers

Doug

Glynn

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 04:57:27 pm »
Heat kills germs also, like I said once before you will never see hospital laundrys etc washing gowns and theatre gear in anything less than boiling water. So it figures that in germ ridden jobs we do high heat kills more bacteria.
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 07:02:07 pm »
Glyn,

You can kill germs by other means too, like using a santizer, not unlike Craftex Cherry twist
 that you are using at the moment;
http://www.restormate.co.uk/epages/15094.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15094/Categories/Craftex/CarUphol/Chemicals/Deodor/Chemicals/Deodor
 Also Cleansan and Microsan
http://www.prochem.co.uk/deodorisers,_odour_neutralisers_&_sanitizers.htm
 And a whole host of others on the market.

Simon

derek west

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »
yeah but heat is free ;D

Glynn

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
Simon
Regards
Glynn

JandS

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »
When you use the Steamate again James feel the solution hose on the wand.
I did it yesterday and it was quite hot but being rubber I can't see it actually
marking carpet or even wood, none of these are actually good conductors.
The other good thing about the sleeving is that it prevents the solution hose
being snagged on something and splitting.
Also if you get an internal fault and the hose splits the sleeving will contain it
long enough for you to realise and switch off.
For the sake of another £30 - £35 it's worth it.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.