thebouncingbunny

torn between two ro's....
« on: June 02, 2005, 05:43:31 pm »
which do you all reckon then?
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=123
this is the one i had initially thought to buy
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=130
but looking now this one ,the merlin seems to be a contender.originally i had discounted the merlin because it seemed to pricey but seems to have come down in cost a good deal.makes a change cos that usually would only happen just after buying one..... ::)
i know some of you guys seem to rate the merlin.but is buying this gonna stitch me into expensive replacement parts?
cheers ,bunny
so what do you think?
"alas the light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train......."

thewindowcleaner1

Re: torn between two ro's....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:05:15 pm »
Go for the Merlin

but is buying this gonna stitch me into expensive replacement parts?

only parts to relace Membrain and carbon cartridge if you use a lot of water then they need to be replaced earlier (but if your useing that much water you must be busy and making lots of £££)

If you don't use a lot of water then parts will last longer,
plus you have the equipment that allows your business to grow without having to worry about water supply.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:18:13 pm »
hi alan im thinking of the merlin too but from gap water treatment 395 vat inc.I use 700 ltr per day what would you say the cartridges and m,embranes would last or need changing?

thanks
steve

denzle

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:08:19 pm »
I may be wrong, but i have feeling that the Merlin only has a 95% rejection rate, which mean your TDS will come out fairly high.
That in turn means that your DI resin won't last as long.
Horses for courses i guess

Denzle

thebouncingbunny

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 09:51:03 am »
now i could be missing summat but easyclean,why would you pay 395 for the merlin when you could have it from the ro man for 329?????
denzle.can you expand on this as i am not too in the know on this subject.as i live in a very hard water area (dorset)this could be a serious issue.
obvously i need to look at bit further into this lark as it would seem i have just been skimming the surface.especially as the ro is a major part of the spend on this system.
cheers,bunny
"alas the light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train......."

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 08:43:16 pm »
might help a bit ??

http://www.airwaterice.com/category/z.merlin/

quote from one such site
Merlin™ Reverse Osmosis Replacement Membrane - Membrane element for the 720 gallon-per-day Merlin™ reverse osmosis system. These membranes should be changed every 3 years.

Carbon/Sediment pre-filter provides protection and pre-filteration for the membrane element. This filter should be changed every 6 months.

I know Andrews water stocks these price's unknown
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

sair

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 09:52:55 pm »
essentially pure will match most prices on merlin "cant put price down" if you pm me your emails i can send over price list if you produce prices we will normally price match
Essentially Pure Ltd

denzle

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:44 pm »
To expand on my answer a bit, most RO units have a rejection rate of about 98-99%.
So even if your water has a high TDS it should bring it down to single figures.
If suposing your tap water is coming out at 400PPM then your RO should bring it down to about 008PPM, if it has only 95% rejection then your finished water is going to be 020PPM.
This will start using your DI resin a lot faster to bring it down to zero which is where you really want it to be.
Hope that makes sense.

Denzle

stephen d

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 10:47:38 pm »
i live in a hard water area (hants) and use the ro from ro-man my mains comes in at 645 and once through the ro system it comes out between 2-4 i have had the system for about 8 months and only changed filters once approx cost £25. ro man told me as long as i back flush the system regulary(i do it once a week)the filters should last approx 6 months. i produce anything from 500-1000 lts /day.the system cost £330

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:57:45 pm »
A real life example.

Bob Hommell of Clean Water systems Vero Beach Florida just installed the Merlin  on water that contains about 1,600 ppm of total dissolved solids. Really terrible water. The unit has our pressure pump package and feeds a 500 gallon black plastic storage tank. The unit produces 150 ppm water and has no problem keeping up with the household

www.thewindowcleaner.biz

thebouncingbunny

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:16:37 pm »
cheers for all your help guys i have decided pretty  much that i will go with the ro mans own sysstem.
this is summat i couldnt have done without this forum and i am really glad i found it.
oh and by the way expect a few more daft newby questions as i ponder the rest of the kit i require for my upcoming wfp system! ;)
bunny

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 04:04:07 pm »
from www.airwaterice.com"Small Commercial application:

If you intend to make over 10 gallons of water per day the single filter supplied with the Merlin will not be adequate. You should add additional external pre-filters to the inlet side of the Merlin. You can run a Merlin 24 /7 and expect good results, as long as you properly protect it. The minimum and maximum water quality requirements are clearly stated in the manual. As long as you do not exceed any of these you should not experience any problems at all.

so why but a merlin if you use more than 10 gallons and have to add more filters?