Justin H

Re: I am thing of starting my own round.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 09:20:49 pm »
Where abouts in Somerset are you?
I'm in Somerset, maybe I could send some work your way to start you off.

simbo

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 09:30:53 pm »
In reply to working as well.
i am in the same boat as you at the moment, whilst working full time aswell is a good start it can become very frustrating after a while.
firstly, if like me you hate your regular job that will become worse as you start enjoying working for yourself and earning a far better hourly rate
secondly to grow your business you need to give your time, something you will not have doing 2 jobs
thirdly when doing your second job you need to use all the money to get your business growing quickly ie advertize in press as well as flyers
when you get a blank on an area don't let it get you down as you may well get a call weeks later.
I am about to start knocking on doors in area's that i have customers so as to get compact round,not looking forward to this but it really must be done
good luck paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 09:36:40 pm »
Forgot to say in my first post to you; quite a lot of my customers say, "I preferred to deal with you because although you put your mobile number on your flyers, you also gave a land-line number, I feel safer because of that".

Don't forget that you may be dealing with elderly people and pensioners who may have experienced "con" merchants around; you know the scam, say they are from the Water Board or something, just so they can get their foot in the door.

I have several customers who are widows, plus some single ladies who work and live near the local Hospital.
If they have a "proper" telephone number, it's a plus, and if you can give an address, I feel that can help, too.

Go canvassing, looking smart and tidy, and don't forget, earrings may not seem poncey to you, but first impressions count.
If you were going to employ someone to work for you, and they were to be your representative at the customers door, how would you want them to look?
Then you need to look the same, because YOU are your representative this time! A faceful of ironmongery might turn the local tarts on, but it don't do it  for everybody.
Best Luck!
Baldeagle in Staffordshire.

I would like to say that, like baldeagle, I found that giving a reliable point of contact is very important too.  I make sure that people have my landline and mobile numbers, my trading address (in my case my flat), and even an email address for those who prefer to do things that way.  I take the view that if someone I hardly knew was wandering around *my* garden (not that I've got one  :)  ),  I would want to know who they were.

irjones

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 09:40:12 pm »
hi justin was not sure if you got my pm i live in street nr glastonbury where are you but i need to get my ladders and stuff before i even leave the house but if you are close the offer of  sounds great thank u
ir jones

irjones

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 02:55:07 pm »
Thank you all for the advice I was wondering if any of you are close to me as I would like to go round with a w/c to see how it is done and learn some tips first hand.
Many thanks Iain
ir jones

gaza

Re: I am thinking of starting my own round.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 04:15:12 pm »
HI :DONT,Im aving a bad day nearly 500 squid van repair bill its raining and just been told van will not be ready till tommorrow if everything goes well.
Lose another days pay,which is supposed to be one of my better days[tommorrow]

Everything looks rosy when you are looking to start on your own,but have a buissness plan in motion[see bank for one] they issue them when your opening a buiss account.

Dont give up your day job[yet] work weekends till you have perfected the art of using a squeezy.

Good luck but dont forget to stay within the new h/s guidelines.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

irjones

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 05:05:09 pm »
Where wil I find the new guide lines many thanks Iain
P.S i was going to carry on working till i got going
ir jones

irjones

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 02:21:24 pm »
everone has told me to go with a w/c to learn the ropes, well there was w/c next but I didn't want to ask as he may think I ould steal his customers
Many thanks Iain
ir jones