capital-services

office carpets
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:33:21 pm »
Hi,
Can any one help?
How do you lift pile of carpet where chair has been, and does steam work. ???

Regards

Dennis
www.capitalservicesltd.co.uk      Professional Facilities Solutions

Dynafoam

Re: office carpets
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:39:17 pm »
Denis,

With the types of carpet use in most offices, it's really not worth the effort.

The wheels of an office chair do so much compression damage to the entire structure of the carpet, the best you can hope for is a temporary, cosmetic improvement.

John.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:46:18 pm »
Hi Dennis

In a nutshell, you can't. Most office carpets are nylon or, even worse, polypropylene. I liken the situation with these plastics to a strip of steel. If you take a strip and repeatedly bend it, straighten, bend, straighten etc. etc.  it will eventually remain bent. The same with a piece of plastic. these fibres are plastic. The backings will also be crushed, so even if the pile was lifted, the backings are damaged.

Wool is more resilient than synthetics, but this would flatten too and the backing would be damaged.

All you can do is recommend a keyhole mat.

Safe and happy pile lifting:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

capital-services

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 09:58:58 pm »
Thanks for help,  :D I can at last sleep at night.

would you recommend steam as a help to cleaning.

I know a carpet cleaner that used an inline method to boost power.

Dennis
www.capitalservicesltd.co.uk      Professional Facilities Solutions

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 10:57:30 pm »
Denis,

That's too wide a question for a short answer.

Very high temperatures can do at least as much harm as good. The maximum safe temperature will depend on the fibre and construction of the carpet. The maximum desirable temperature can also be influenced by the chemicals employed.

Now moving from water temperature to steam:

For general cleaning of carpets, it should be remembered that steam has less flushing ability than water, so whilst it will liquefy grease, it is less efficient as a carrier for its' removal.

Combine the two paragraphs above an the conclusion is that using water at temperatures in excess of 100oC is risky and often inefficient for general use and best reserved for things like the treatment of chewing gum.

John.