Derek

Re: Profiles
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 10:19:51 am »
Obviously a highly contentious issue...

I am sure we all have our own opinions on 'past' events and postings.

I see and respect both sides to this argument but wouldn't it be nice to be on at the very least 'first name terms'?
Surely that wouldn't compromise very much?  :-/

Derek

Doug Holloway

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 10:22:50 am »
Hi Guys,

I take more notice of posts written by people who have the 'bottle' to show who they are.

Cheers,

Doug

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 10:24:48 am »
Musicman.
I picked on the last paragraph, as it was the one addressed to myself. ::)
How could my two phrases be a contradiction? The right to free speech is seperate from the Profiles issue!!
The forum needs to remind people that 'nicknames' are not real names and should therefore, be changed. I would not take advice from a nickname, just in case that person was malicous/unscrupulous and not traceable................ same way i do not employ persons without signwritten vehicles and landline telephone numbers.
Let us agree to disagree and i hope that you can be found at Carpex with 'correct' name badge!!

Derek

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 10:41:36 am »
Hey Mr Musicman

I think Chris that means he wants to buy you a pint..

He must be feeling ill  ;)

Derek

Musicman

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004, 12:44:35 pm »
Derek - we have met on a couple of occasions and I can assure you that if I gave even my christian name on this forum I could compromise my position, and therefore a reasonable part of my income - which has to be my priority do you not agree?

Chris - of course the two phrases are a contradiction. What you are saying on the one hand is that everyone has the right to express an opinion, on the other hand unless an individual gives their name they are not entitled to that right.

Sadly I cannot attend Carpex due to work commitments, however I anticipate that my deep clean team will be in Surrey in the not too distant future and I will invite you to come along and meet me and the crew. I will explain more at that point and I am sure that you will understand. Bring a case of lager - a pint wont go far enough between all of us.

Doug and Chris - I couldn't care less whether you take advice from me or not. The fact remains that when I do try to help on this forum it is sound advice based upon years of experience. I repeat that a lot of people have thanked me for my input.

One of the forum moderators had a need to post anonymously for a long while to protect himself yet he is highly respected and gives excellent advice. Did you ignore his comments?
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
Musicman.
I am happy to absorb advice from someone knowledgeable but less inclined to listen to a person so opinionated and unable to accept when he is in the wrong. ;D
The topic of free speech assumes the person has met the qualifications to be in the forum, ie: profile posted.
The Profiles argument is another topic that would preceed the free speech one.
The idea of accepting advice from an unnamed moderatror is not a problem due to the fact they are the moderator. I have been one in the past and know that they are selected for a certain criteria, i would accept the knowledge they impart due to the choosing process.
If your experience and knowledge are on a par with your refusal to accept other peoples points of view, then you will continue to prosper.
8)

cleanmac

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2004, 06:06:28 pm »
I have tried to add my location to my profile,can,t get it to save.Help please!

David

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 06:09:50 pm »
David,
Easier method is to go into Profile and add siganture like i have at the foot of each post.  8)
People can see the info at a glance and you can edit quickly if you wish.

Dynafoam

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 06:10:22 pm »
David,

You may be forgetting to click on the 'Update' button at the bottom.

On your next visit there why not also add a signature line to include your name, location and any relevant qualifications?

John

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 06:13:02 pm »
Or any sarcastic remarks.....like my "hows my driving" tribute  ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 06:21:31 pm »
Chris,

Thats' not a premium-rate number, is it?  ;D

John.

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 06:54:23 pm »
It is my mobile.......so i may offer an INSTANT RESPONSE  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 07:21:26 pm »
Musicman et all,

I d'ont think I was saying anything particularly radical when saying I take more notice of people when I know who they are.

I would think most people would do the same.

However as you are obviously a trainer within the cleaning industry I respect your wish to remain anonymous.(either that or has Lord Lucan been found ;D)

Cheers,

Doug

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 08:09:58 pm »
Hi Guys

Obviously, we would prefer everyone to fill out thier name, company details and location etc but it's never going to happen by forcing people to do it.

I'm aware of 'Musicmans' position and, if he chooses to remain anonymous, people should decide for themselves from his previous posts whether to take his comments seriously or not.

Would it make that much difference if he changed his profile to 'John Smith'. Would people then insist that members fill out their location.....then their contact details?

Chris, with regard to the 'freedom of speech issue', I'd just like to say that it's not peoples opinions we object to, it's way they express those opinions. If anyone feels that's 'censorship' then, I'm sorry, but so be it! I'm sure no-one wants to read offensive posts but what may not offend one member may well offend another.

If we are all on this forum to benefit others as well as ourselves,  we should respect that.

Regards

Mike

cleanmac

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 08:40:26 pm »
Thanks John,

I have worked it out,you have to wait for it to upload before you close the window.Even on 1mb broadband its slow to do so.

David

Bryan H

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 09:17:05 pm »
Similiar problem adding to signature & I don't have broadband!

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Derek

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 12:03:04 am »
Chris

I have met the Musicman and spoke to him on several occasions and I can see his point.
I do agree that it is desirable to have a name but there are a couple of other people who also have a legitimate reason for remaining incognito.

They have usually 'come out' (not quite the expression I would normally choose but I can't think of an alternative  :-[) and given a good enough reason why they do use a pseudonym... I, for one, respect their reasoning.

I would say, however, that all others 'should' give more details

Derek

woodman

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 12:07:03 pm »
Hi Guys

Have had trouble recently trying to update the profile when I click change profile nothing happens I expect others have had the same and given up. :-[

Bryan H

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 12:18:03 pm »
Woodman,

Exactly the problem !  but last night I stuck with it.   Took 5 -10 minutes to load !  should be much quicker with broadband !

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 07:11:41 pm »
Derek.
I appreciate the need for discretion in certain circles and i have spoken to woodman, who keeps that name for his own reasons. My knowledge of Musicman is not so extensive and to have him on a thread about Profiles where he calls peoples views ludicrous, is not very appreciated. I respect people and the the reasons they have for such a measure as using a false/nickname, until they are impolite towards myself.( Respect is earned not deserved)
I recently had a call on my mobile from an irate driver, who i never allowed to cut me up, swearing and threatening all sorts of personal damage. The fact that he withheld his number first and rang me when i had gone through traffic lights.........speaks volumes. Funny that when i pulled up down the road and got out to wait for him to catch up, that he should turn off!!! :'(
That is what i mean about not respecting anonymous persons automatically, we can all be brave when hiding ::)
I have no disrespect for 'nicknamed persons' it's just that they have to earn it ;D