paul_smith

which vac
« on: August 01, 2004, 12:44:52 am »
     I am about to purchase a vac ,thought about a sebo.
Can you get a vac which also agitates pre-sprays?
What make/model is best for mainly domestic work?
where is cheapesr supplier?
Thanks Paul Smith.

paul@ctcs

Re: which vac
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 02:23:12 pm »
Paul,

A kirby vacuum may be what your looking for, they are not only a very good vacuum cleaner but also come with a number of heads, one of which is i believe sutable for agitating pre spray which i presume when fitted diverts the air flow away from the carpet so not sucking the pre spray up and simply powers the agitating brush.
I think what i've said is right, i own a kirby vacuum but none of the attatchments, but having seen pictures on the net i'm fairly sure im not too far of the mark.
I'm sure one of the chaps on the forum will know a little more on the subject.
If you type kirby into the E-bay search it should produce a few cleaners and attatchments which are often well under £100 making good value as these vacuums are bullet proof, not kidding they really are!!
hope this helps.

Paul :)

paul_smith

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 04:36:30 pm »
thanks paul ,will have a look
paul

Dave Parry

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:59:15 am »
Paul(s), Kirby is not suitable for agitating pre sprays. It does have a number of different heads, one of which I use on upholstery, but NOT connected to Kirby m/c. The m/c has a paper bag dust collector, which if used with wet solutions and presuming it didn't blow the motor first, would turn into a horrible mess where the bag used to be. otherwise a great vac, but pricey and very heavy.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

paul@ctcs

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 01:27:20 am »
Dave,

What about the shampoo attatchment they sell,this cant pass via the vac motor or use the paper bag? I think they also have a carpet massaging head (odd name but i think thats what i've heard its known as) this is what i would have performed reasonably at pre spray aggitation, i believe this simply uses the motor spindle for drive and the vacuum is not utilised.

Paul

Dave Parry

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:09:04 am »
Paul,
Your right they do a shampoo attachment, but it is designed to put a layer of foam on the carpet, and then scoup it up using a single brush roller. It is a tray + solution tank, which fits on the front and makes the m/c very clumsy, and doesnt really agitate the pile. not aware of the carpet massager, know they do a scalp massager, but too small for carpets. I have a Kirby G4. once tried to shampoo my carpets with it (before becoming a CCer) . took days to dry, and looked no different.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

paul@ctcs

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 02:31:15 am »
Dave,

Looks like i was wrong about the kirby,just thought it may be the only machine available which may double as a decent vacuum and with one of its many attatchments may also aggitate pre spray.
In this case cant think of another system which will perform both rolls??

Thanks Paul

P.S. A scalp massager??? how odd!maybe a back massager would be more appropriate when considering how heavy kirbys are :D

paul@ctcs

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 02:41:33 am »
Paul,

Sorry mate it looks like kirby dont make an appropriate attatchment for aggitating pre spray.
If you can justify spending about £500 you could buy both a sebo vacuum cleaner which is very popular with carpet cleaners and for your pre spray aggitation a sebo duo which is a contra rotating brush system, these are also gaining in popularity( i'm ordering one from solutions Nick in the morning) i doubt you will get much better if most of your jobs are domestic.

Paul

paul_smith

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 01:29:44 pm »
Thanks for that, looks like the sebo it is,probably agitate with brush for now and then buy a duo when i am more established
cheers paul.

paulchambers

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 07:01:27 pm »
When i did my carpet cleaning course i was told that you dont need a lot of agitation so why buy a sebo duo, or have i got it wrong again   paul

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 08:42:24 pm »
Paul,

The answer depends on what is meant by "a lot".

Regardless of the pre-spray you are using, it needs to come into contact with the soil that it is meant to be affecting.

Unless you are going to over-wet the carpet with an excess of the product, the only way to ensure that the product does its' job fully is to 'stir it in' by brushing.

The action of brushing in not only ensures full distribution, it actively increases the efficacy of the product and if done with one of the contra-rotating cylindrical brush machines, it also opens up the pile, which makes the extraction rinse more effective.

So, what do you think is "a lot" now?

John.

paulchambers

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 08:55:01 pm »
I can see your point, i was shown at alltec to light run gandi brush over area and thats all i needed to do but i beleive your correct with what you say , it makes sense so if using a gandi brush how many times should i agitate  Paul

Dynafoam

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 09:06:33 pm »
Paul,

The amount would vary with type of carpet and degree and type of soiling, but on traffic lanes, something like four back & foreward strokes, then the same at 90 degrees to the first, would be a general minimum.

Remember that the process of cleaning a carpet consists of a number of stages and a number of elements to each stage. Skimp on one, and you work harder on the others and still may not achieve the best result.

John.

paulchambers

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 09:12:04 pm »
So i assume you would wait 10 mins or so before doing the 90 degree strokes

Dynafoam

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:48 pm »
No Paul, in quick succession, then next section.

paulchambers

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 09:16:59 pm »
ok thanks john

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 02:52:25 am »
Paul S & Paul Chambers,
Do yourselves a favour guys and get yourselves a Sebo Duo, they're less than a couple of hundred quid and they make the job sooooo much easier and give a better result.
Best bit of extra kit that I ever bought.
Regards
Mark
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

paul_smith

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 12:52:26 pm »
just got good price for sebo duo and sebo vac from nick at sollutions,looking at other subject on forum it looks like i will have to add an air mover to my ever increasing shopping list,
paul smith