Derek

Satelite Navigation
« on: July 30, 2004, 10:26:09 am »
Hi

The post on electronic diary gizzmo's made me wonder just how many of you have taken to using a satelite navigation system.

Has it been a good investment?

Which make did you go for and why?

What was the cost?

Incidentally the RAC will be at Carpex speaking at one of the 'free' seminars talking about vehicle security i.e. tracking devices also they tell me that they want to show off their own satelite navigation system.

They have told me that they will be taking a stand at the show.

Have you booked the dates for Carpex in your diary (Electronic or otherwise) yet?

8th / 9th October....just in case you have forgot.

Cheers
Derek

Len Gribble

Re: Satelite Navigation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 11:01:33 am »
Hi John

I have an ADO system which is fixed in van, can play videos, and have a reversing camera plus a lot more.

Very good investment paid £1300 for 3 years ago.

A friend has PDA system fitted to his vans which are portable he buys them of e-bay.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Derek

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 11:06:42 am »
Len

You will have to put your glasses on mate.... it's Derek.

John's the good looking one ;)

Derek

Dennis

Michel Roberts

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 08:45:47 pm »
Derek

In this weeks Sunday Times motoring section there was a big article about a test they did on this very subject. I ave allready thrown it away or I could have posted it to you. Basically they did a test with three cars. One using an old fashioned map and human. The second with sat nav and the third was a sat nav system connected to roadwatch type system. The one connected to the roadwatch system came out streets ahead the map came last. They drove from london docklands to somewhere in Devon at 5 o,clock on afriday afternoon. One roadwatch system is connected to the AA and the other to a co called traffic master. It makes sense after all its no good going via  the shirtest route if the traffic is solid!

Michel

Michel Roberts

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 09:12:38 pm »
Sorry about spelling baby's screaming !

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 09:44:59 pm »
Sorry Derek

Forgot to clean glasses I better do it again now.

I’ve also got the traffic system it dose give misleading info, stationary traffic a head but not the way I’m going, still useful.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Derek

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 12:13:10 am »
Thanks for the information Guys and Gals..

What sort of costs are involved?

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:42:04 am »
Derek

£1300 one off payment for equipment not sure about the others, like RAC, AA and there add on’s etc

Len

John_Flynn

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 01:43:48 am »
I use Gamin Street Pilot III, my wife paid £399.00 + VAT from Macro a fantastic investment it gets her to her Dog Shows everytime the FASTEST ROUTE never been lost since buying she travels the Country.

When I can grab it I use it too, I think it is the Dogs B*ll*cks.
I get better looking each day!!

Derek

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 11:02:01 am »
John

That has to be one heck of an endorsement... You have convinced me.

We men all know the scenario of a 'female and a map'  ;)

That's going to get me into trouble! ;D

Derek

cleanmac

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 12:27:46 am »
That is some bargain on the Streetpilot,it is their previous top of the range model and used to retail for £950 +vat.

When you do a google on GPS a lot of sites will come up some of them with indepth reviews on various models.

David  

cleanability

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 12:54:52 am »
hi   I have an alternative to sat nav       its only £3.99 from Asda its brill. U open the book and its full of maps. Gets me  there every time.      LOL

Chris

ps    I must be a poor Carpet cleaner

Neil Gott

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 11:37:46 pm »
I could have done with one of these devices a few years ago when I left Leicester to return to Southampton and was half way to Scotland when I was surprised to see  that the sun seemed to be setting in the east for a change.
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 12:11:14 am »
Just about to upgrade mobile to XDA2 and someone recommended TomTom Navigator................ anyone familiar with this? ???

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 12:20:59 am »
Yes Chris

You follow the sound of the drums ;D

Safe and happy driving:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 12:44:09 am »
Not with the volume of my music :o..........ask NickH