dunny19

who uses air movers?
« on: July 30, 2004, 12:02:16 am »
thinking about investing in a couple of air movers/blowers, im getting a mixed reaction to them, some say that there is no point, cause with a truckmount carpets dry quicker anyway so dont need them

others i know use them with their truckmount.

shall i buy or shall i not? that is the questio
n
:(
what do you guys think

Mark Betts

Re: who uses air movers?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 12:42:06 am »
yes buy one.

Cleaned a 3 bed "lodge" on a Country Club complex yesterday.

80/20 carpet, as i cleaned each room i moved the air mover in.

Most of the carpets dry when I left.

And that was with a portie.

Also a good selling point.

Tuesday a lady wanted whole house cleaning but wanted me to do it over 2 visits !!!!!

When i questioned her why??????  It was because she was concerned about drying and having all of the carpets damp in one go thus not having a dry room for the day.

No problem. explained about air mover and job done.

Took half a day and when left she was hapy as a pig in poope that she could use her lounge straight away.

It also saved me an extra trip setting up etc

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 12:53:13 am »
Dunny,

Buy.

I don't care what TM you use, your carpets will not be drier than mine, and I always use an air mover.

Not only does it speed drying but it has a beneficial result on pile texture.

The only caution is to carefully check for things like insecure wall hangings, bowls of pot pouree and sooty hearths before switching on. (Oh, and things can get interesting at Christmas time as cards go into room-orbit  ;D )

John.

Dave Parry

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 01:23:46 am »
I have to disagree. I have one and find it a nuisance. It may as John says help with texture etc. but I find that even on the lowest setting, it blows everything around, pictures, cobwebs, bits of paper - the list is endless.
They also take up a lot of room on the van, so mine stays in the shed. Not saying it wont ever get used, its there if needed, but I would say other bits of kit are more essential.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 01:41:45 am »
Get 2 or 3, get a very dirty carpet and it needs a hell of a clean you can dry it and then inspect for may be a touch up  ::) or when cleaning upholstery you can get it drier it helps sell your services better and if you charge more than most it is a very good selling point ask Chemdry.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 01:49:12 am »
Don’t see the logistical befits of using an air mover on some jobs, I understand where Marks coming from, but as John mentioned if it ant nailed down it will fly; you take your chance and may pay.

I use both systems never been in customers and waited to see tm v port drying times, off to next job; air movers are beneficial on some jobs.

Shaun cd uses air movers?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 02:02:32 am »
They also use hwe 'velda' hot carbonate hwe machine and the only way they can get back to quick drying times id buff then turbo unless they use their patented rx20 style cleaning head which makes the carpets dry faster but also need turbos.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 02:28:02 am »
Shaun

Thanks now at total lost on there system of quick drying without turbo, perhaps the standard cc should charge extra for quick drying.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Phil Marlor

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 02:35:23 am »

I think an air mover is essential when cleaning a 3 peice suite.

Some suites can take up to 48 hours to dry in the winter, you have to get them dry quicker than that.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

dunny19

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 02:40:19 am »
cheers chaps

i think ill go and buy one, if it got mark a job then its a good thing, i certainly am not going to lose a job by having one, and if after using it, i find it annoying because it blows the house to peices then i can leave it in my garage for when it is needed.

thanks you helped make my mind up,

;Dhowever, the prices are varying between 195 and 295, whats the difference, do you use them to dry upholstery as well, or should i steer clear of that!

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 03:18:57 am »
Dunny,

I have found the Sahara Pro to be a very durable blower, but many of the cheaper ones could last as long.

Other than price, variations in design may include carpet grippers, prop stands, three speed settings, some have switches more conveniently located, some are stackable.

The sponsors of this site have one at £181 + VAT which is reasonably specified (click on Express Cleaning Supplies at top of this page). Alternatively, look in the buy & sell section of this forum for a used unit.

As to use on upholstery - definately.

John.

dunny19

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 03:25:18 am »
cheers john

so you can use these on upholstery, i cant see how they work, because they sit on the floor..........maybe i will understand when i get one, can you shed some light on that for me, thanks for the express cleaning supplies......shall have allok now :)

thanks again

Harry

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 03:29:31 am »
The older the customer the more they will apprecate it.
Number one fear of the elderly is falling down.  Here in much drier Canada, I require a fan be used on every job we do.  You can get dual speed blowers and use a lower speed if necessary. We use much smaller fans for drying furniture, which are always toweled off after cleaning, also to speed drying.  Most self respecting CC'ers in North America have at least 20 blowers, very profitable for flood jobs.

IMO, HWE does a better cleaning than Chem Dry method before they changed to HWE but in the eyes of many customers the job is not judged by how clean but by how fast the house is usable again and the "nest" can be put back in order.  Ask yourself why they have managed to be the largest carpet cleaning org in the world with a presumably inferior method.
Carpet may be beautiful when you leave but if it takes 16 hrs to dry, they won't complain but also won't want to repeat the exercise & ask for your service next year......
Leatherwright Seminars

Dynafoam

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 03:48:58 am »
Dunny,

Take a white woolen blanket with you, place on the floor to establish a drying area, then as each cushion is cleaned, form them into a tunnel ( /\ ) and with the blower on its' kick-stand to elevate the nose slightly, blow air through the tunnel.

The six cushions of a three-seater sofa will normaly be dry long before you finish the carcase. Transfer the blower to the carcase and by the time you finish the first armchair the sofa should be dry enough to re-assemble.

Aim to have the entire suite dry before you drive away.

This is my normal, but it may take a little practice and the right equipment before you reach this standard.

John.

dunny19

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 03:57:02 am »
i get ya john

it makes sense for the carcus and the tunnel with the cusions.........i like this forum.......im learning loadsssss

how do you go about doing the armrests .

Derek

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 10:05:48 am »
Hi

My two pennies worth..

The air mover (Turbo dryer) is invaluable for the many reasons already given PLUS it keeps me cool in the hot weather whilst cleaning the furniture in particular.

I have two on my van at all times and each has a triple speed adjustment.

It is the air movement that helps to speed up the drying time by removing the higher humidity caused by the cleaning process allowing more moisture to evaporate from the cleaned item.

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 10:14:24 pm »
Derek

Thanks for the advice on keeping cool week after next 150 chairs too do, also out comes the porty; tm can go to blue water with wife ;D

Len

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 10:52:16 pm »
Air movers are invaluable. Believe it or not, the warm weather we have in sunny North Worcestershire the last few days hasn't been that great for drying. Sure it's been warm enough, but it's also been so humid :( and tiring. Air's been a bit still too. That's another occasion when an air mover excells. Dries the carpets/suite and keeps you cooler too. Just be careful how you place it though. Besides the perils mentioned above, if it's blowing your way, pre-spray will be caught in the wind and miss it's intended target.

Whilst talking to an Australian colleague earlier this year, he told me that drying times in Western Aus. were usually very low as they had high temperature and low humidity. However, along the East Coast, although they had similar temperatures, humidity tended to be high so prolonged drying times would be expected without an air mover. Liken the situation to washing drying on a line. If it's dull and overcast, the washing will take ages to dry. If the wind picks up, it's dry in no time.

Be safe and be  happy with your wind ::)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

paulchambers

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 11:03:49 pm »
Just a thought instead of blowing air in the midle of the room would it be benefical to point it at a wall so thing dont get blown away the air would still circulate

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 11:12:20 pm »
If it's the home of the Japanese Ambassador, you might blow the wall down :o

Thar she blows Captain :D

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!