5 (31.3%)
Or just right  or to cheap ?
68.8%
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Ed.

Think is a guy going round under cutting
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:02 pm »
So been told by 2 customers today have got a new window cleaner now as found someone cheaper. Is what it is. Wouldn’t tell me how much the price was as i asked both said just cheaper.

So this is one of the houses.

I charge £14 front and back for every month

2 monthly the other one was same sort of house £16

Would you say this pricing is to expensive?

I have always thought my pricing was fair and about right but if im wrong i would love to know.

This is without the skylight aswell, as she has never wanted them done for some reason lol.

Based in Kent (Rochester)

Ed.

Re: Think is a guy going round under cutting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:18:56 pm »

Ed.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:19:14 pm »

Ed.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:21:46 pm »
This is a old photo when first started cleaning them. Have done about 4 cleans now but now found someone cheaper

wayne 77

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:29:28 pm »
I think you were to cheap
4 weekly  £16
8 weekly  £20
Dont know about Kent
Clowns around me would do it for £5 and last 2 months 

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:49:57 pm »
This is a old photo when first started cleaning them. Have done about 4 cleans now but now found someone cheaper

Some of us oldies have heard many stories over the years that turned out to be not true. Their financial circumstances have changed and they are looking for a way out to save face.

We've had the same as you have. We are going with a cheaper quote. Then they tell you they will remain with you if you can beat it. At this point I have already checked out. I'm afraid I can't even match it. I just say that I can't, thank them politely for their previous custom and bid them a good day and I hope to see them around.

Over time we could see there was never another window cleaner as the windows got dirtier and dirtier.

We are having new windows fitted. Please don't clean them until the new ones are in. That was 12 years ago and the windows were never replaced.

The house is up for sale so we don't want the windows cleaned any more.

In the early days we were up against the prices of a part time trad council employee. He took a fair bit of our work because he was 33% cheaper. (We charged £7.50 and his price was £5. In those days £5 was the going rate for a 3 bed semi.)  Eventually he had so much work he couldn't take on any more. Then the council put him on full time and he only worked his round on Saturdays.
We got a lot of his old customers requesting a window cleaning quote, but weren't prepared to pay more than £5.

So as new window cleaners we stressed out about this but we continued to get work in in other estates. We never wanted any of his under priced work. In fact I remember my son in law took a couple back on when he took over the round. They didn't last long as they begrudged paying £8.50.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ed.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:57:51 pm »
16 pound a month and £20 every 2monthly seems bit expensive to me.

But if im wrong fair enough.

It’s only 2 windows up and one down with patio doors and nothing on the side of the house.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:07:32 pm »
Ed. I'd say that your prices are about right. If you have half a dozen together maybe a pound or two less. If they are stand alone maybe a pound or two more.
It's a game of three halves!

Ed.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:05 pm »
Ed. I'd say that your prices are about right. If you have half a dozen together maybe a pound or two less. If they are stand alone maybe a pound or two more.

Yeah all in the same area have about 70% in one area and another 30% in one over area. 

Thanks for that i thought my pricing is about right.

16 monthly and 20 every 2monthly seems bit on the expensive side to me. But suppose every area is different.

NBwcs

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 10:15:03 pm »
I dont mean to be rude ED but it really is pointless asking a specific price for a house on here, you may as well ask how longs a piece of string. You will get multple answers , most of them from people who tend to price high, people who charge less arn't as likely to reply. I live in a town with a population of around 30,000 and there simply isnt a norm, it never ceases to amaze me the difference in how much my colleagues would charge for the same property. We all have our own methods of pricing and i bet if we were able to  scrutinize each others book we would find we've all got some good, some moderate and some poor priced work. Its annoying when we lose work to someone whos cheaper but if your happy with what your charging then stick to your guns and move on, undercutting must surely happen in every town and village in the uk, try not to let it get under your skin.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 11:19:03 pm »
Your prices seem pretty spot on - as above it maybe not the best to seek prices - be happy with what you charge - if your making your rate p/h or day then YOUR price is right for you,

Customers come and go. One day you can quote several houses and get them all and start thinking I could charge more, the next day no get any, so are you over pricing ? Answer is no, every customer has different budgets and perceptions of what the job is worth  - you just need to make sure you earn what you want each

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Granny

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 06:56:11 am »
£10 to £12 here. You wouldn't keep it for long at your prices. We have blokes doing 3 storey town houses for £10, that's 5 windows and a door on each side, 4 of those are third storey. Had some at £15 but not for long!

harleyman

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 07:55:36 am »
Under  cutting  it's every man for him self these days  you cant bleet every time  you get cavassed it could have been a cavassing company what ya gonna say get of my patch just put up with it or change jobs..it gose with the teritory I'm  afraid..👍

NWH

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 09:37:45 am »
I do 2 houses like this they are close to another job that takes a few hours so I said I would join them in for them,I charge £25 6-8 weekly,Sussex

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
I do 2 houses like this they are close to another job that takes a few hours so I said I would join them in for them,I charge £25 6-8 weekly,Sussex

Were they chuffed to bits you were prepared to squeeze them in too? Bet they couldn't believe their luck!!😄
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
I’m not the most expensive the 2 I do are almost identical 1 Velux above front garage 1 Velux above the back also,I’m happy their happy they get joined in with a better job so they know I’ll turn up and be regular.
Houses in the particular area I work Like that  are 400k,drive 30 miles South East they are around 260k I charge a price for the area I’m in if I wanted to run my arse off all day Peavy for £13 a pop I could,but I’ll think I’ll say that’s my price I have more than enough work if you don’t like it no ones holding a gun to there heads.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:48 am »

Were they chuffed to bits you were prepared to squeeze them too? Bet they couldn't believe their luck!!😄

was that £256 - 8 weekly ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 11:54:31 am »
I won’t drive to any job get my kit off so to speak and clean any house for £13 quid,I’ve been cleaning windows for years jobs I used to have like that were plentiful I dropped them as times gone by.
If today I think I could join that in it’ll be the price I want for it,in the past I’ve said to people I want X if at any point you find someone cheaper let me know and I’ll stop doing them.I know some people love going out in the cold for very little but it dawned on me some time ago that I’m not willing to.

harleyman

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 12:14:22 pm »
Trouble is not every one lives down south I think you would starve to death up here☺

NWH

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:01 pm »
Yeah I agree we said it before not saying anyone wouldn’t clean it for that price but I don’t know anyone that would,if I wanted to clean it for whatever reason if it was a bungalow semi detached a garden shed it would be 25.
I would say to people this is my price I’m not cheap but ill do a proper job,if you find someone cheaper just let me know but that never tends to happen.
When you are full to the brim with work why on earth would you worry about going in over and above what someone else charges,like I say no ones holding a gun to anyone’s head here.