geefree

drain unblocker
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:25:46 am »
Hi all

i have pressure washer for drives and patios,

does anyone use the drain attachments to unblock them?

is it worth buying, and do you do ok workwise from it,

and how much could i earn per job,

Hope you can help.

cheers

gary.

John Kelly

Re: drain unblocker
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
Gary, we toyed with this for a while. Basically you need to offer an emergency response and out of hours. If you like being covered in head to toe in poop then give it a go. Personally I would recommend you stick with your drives and patios.

geefree

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:02:46 pm »
Thanks john.

nuts? why  :)..

I can imagine it being stinky and smelly tho,

gary.

Andy Foster

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:38:16 pm »
I have the attachment and yes you can earn good money doing it.  It is a good add on but not my main business.
If you want to do drains full time then it is worth investing in the right kit (lower pressure,  more flow rate).

It can be a bit smelly, but that service commands a good price!

You need to realise though that the drain attachment is not designed for anything other than household drains... anything bigger and you won't be able to do the job!  So careful what you take on.

Dynorod are offering a 'fixed' price at the moment of £99... a bit misleading as it is only fixed if the job takes 1 hour or less... anything over that and they  charge more!

I did a drain the other day and charged them £60 and the job took me 20 minutes...  good money in my book... the customer was chuffed to bits because I saved them nearly 40 quid and I was happy 'cos they paid me  :)

Good luck... hope this helps

Andy

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:51:30 pm »
Gary, nuts was s##t, it was changed by the politically correct software ;D

geefree

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »
cheers you two,

i value your advice, think i will stick to gutter cleaning and facias ha.

gary.

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 12:15:54 am »
I work on drains on a daily basis, the diy attatcment for the pressure washers will clear some drains but to be honest any drain you can clear with that will clear easier and quicker with a good set of rods.

I use the most basic commercial drain jetting kit that is of any use and it costs 6k.

My advise would be if asked by a customer say you will have a crack at it and if you carnt clear it within 15 mins give up. A good blockage can take me anything upto a couple of hours to clear and thats with a powerful system. Its also very hard to tell if the drain has more serious problems with out the powerful jetting kit, if a drain has collasped you will be trying for ever to clear it.

hope this helps

geefree

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:45:32 am »
Thanks Dave,

You seem to be at the serious  end of the business,

its true about the collapsed drains i had thought about that and how i would stand if i tried and failed to unblock a customers drain.... and later down the line when they had paid a lot to get you guys out,.......THEY COULD EASILY BLAME ME FOR THE COLLAPSE. ???

Thanks  dave.

Gary.

Kwackers

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:02:39 pm »
I'm in the same position as Gary, Just want a Few little services to add on, maybe the drain rods is the route to go down!

Thanks