kazzie

Which cleaning franchise?
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:45:11 pm »
Hi there

I have been looking at a buying a cleaning franchise and I am particularly interested in one called 'The Cleaning Company'.

Does anyone out there know anything about them, good or bad? I would appreciate any information please.

Kazzie

Re: Which cleaning franchise?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:29:42 pm »
Hi Kazzie

Please, please do yourself a favour and don’t go down the franchise route. You will work all the hours god sends for peanuts, the only people who make money out of franchising, is the master franchise holder.

I have previously worked for the largest franchise company in the world. 9 out of 10 Franchises go belly up within three years and the poor franchise owner ends up going bankrupt.

Although they look appealing etc etc, once you’re on board, you are just a number to them.

Hope this helps

Andrew

dustdees

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 05:30:33 pm »
Here Here, well said!!!

You would be better off grafting for your own work, then you are answerable to yourself.

Franchises are a huge risk. DON'T BOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMS

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:45:47 pm »
Please listen to the people who know!

Musicman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 08:08:09 pm »
Just to offer some balance to the topic and play Devil's Advocate (my favourite role).

I've worked for several years (and to a limited degree still do) as an independant sales and marketing agent for several franchisees, all under the same franchise umbrella.

ALL of the people that I worked on behalf of have made a lot of money from what they do. One recently retired having made several million pounds from his venture (he sold his franchise for almost £1 million). Another is well on his way towards the millionaire status.

Every one of the franchisees enjoys a more than comfortable life-style so the money is there to be made irrespective of what others may say.

Sure, there is a start-up cost, as there is to any business, and a royalty to pay (single figures) but the franchisor did provide a lot of training and on-going support.

I cannot say whether the franchisees would have made it without franchising (maybe a couple would) but this route CAN be right for some people.

Most businesses that fail do so in the early days and having the support of a franchise can help reduce the chances of this. They avoid the need to re-invent the wheel which you would need to do if you went alone.

In the early years you will need to work hard but that's the same for any fledgling company.

There are good and bad franchises. I cannot comment on 'The Cleaning Company' as I have never heard of them.

Personally, I run my own cleaning company (with a business partner) which is NOT a franchise. But then again I've been in this business for years and have learned from the mistakes made by others so that I can get it right first time myself.

If you are relatively new to the cleaning industry perhaps you should give franchising serious consideration (but get a solicitor to look through the Terms and Conditions before you sign up).

Musicman

PS In the franchise that I was working on behalf of I never heard of anyone that failed (not to say it didn't happen though).
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

kazzie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 09:49:37 am »
Thank you all for your comments.

I am aware of the disadvantages and advantages of entering into a franchise agreement and feel that for someone with no experience of the cleaning industry (such as myself) it enables a fairly secure (although not guaranteed)entry.

I suppose my real concern is that no one has heard of TCC (The Cleaning Company), which is disappointing, as they looked like an interesting business opportunity (on paper).

Oh well.... back to the drawing board!

???