Anna Warren

Where to start?
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »
Hi
I've been a sole trader for a while, but now I'd like to grow my business and employ some staff. I 've no idea where to start though, has anyone got a list of things that need to be done? Insurance, taxex, training? I work mainly on domestic site, but i@d like to move more on contract cleaning. How contract should look like? Any help appreciated , thank you.

Pristine Clean

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
Hi Anna,

emplying staff can look daunting but its straight forward.

If you have an accountant ask them if they do pay roll? As you have a legal obligation to provide a payslip and pay all the required insurance NI, TAX etc.

You need to get a solid Contract of employment. Get this drawn up professionally. It will save you money and a headache in the future. Dont borrow or copy it.

You employers liability insurance.

Also talk to your local tax office regarding employment - they can tell you what you have to do in the way of what needs paying.

Have a look at ACAS website for info and business link.

The hard work is in managing the staff. And selecting staff. You get alot of bad and some good ones.

I hope this hhas been of some help. If you need further advice please ask.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

cleaning-team

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:45:45 pm »
The hard work is in managing the staff. And selecting staff. You get alot of bad and some good ones.

Never a truer word spoken - all the other stuff is just process and paperwork but this is the single most important thing about employment. Get it wrong and it will kill your business quicker than anything out there.

Anna Warren

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:25:32 pm »
Big thanks for all your comments, I read everything carefully. I also thought finding good people is most difficult part of this business. My problem is that I don't really know anyone, like friends or so, who could be my first employees, someone, I could trust.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »
Friends and family should remain just that and not an employee(s).

You will be lenient towards them more than an employee who you dont know.

Plus it will make things more difficult outside of work. The problem is people do not know when you become their "boss" they think you are their freind all of the time.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Anna Warren

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »
An interesting point, you're right.