chris turner

Re: How long did it take you...
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 07:45:07 am »
James if you haven't got one already, then get yourself a decent website sorted.
You don't even need to spend alot of money.
TSO host have affordable and easy to set up self build sites. They come with basic SEO but teach yourself some SEO, which is easier then you may think, and you can get your site high on Google pretty quickly.
You'll be amazed at how many enquiries you get when the sun comes out. Sure there's lots of one off enquiries but in your position work is work and you should take anything you can get, that can enhance your reputation and potentially lead to more work.
I get around 10 -15 enquiries a week this time of year just from spending £17.99 a month a website. Best money you can spend on your business...

Johnny B

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 05:33:20 pm »
Luck is a big part of it, but I always find that the harder you work the luckier you become.

I have after 8-9 years have just canceled my website and yell advert, as I can't take on any more work. Well, there's always room for one more but I shouldn't!

I took this job as a part-time source of income for the first 5-6 years and then realized that if I put more into it I could get a lot more out.

I work 4 1/2 days a week and earn more than I could plumbing or sparking.

The growth of you and your business happens during the journey, you never stop learning though. Now I'm working on molding the finished article into the best it can be.

Get stuck right in mate, sleep it, eat it, dream it become obsessed with cleaning windows to perfection (I still am) and the work will flow right to you.

Be polite and respectful to your customers, look smart, turn up when you say you will and learn how to clean them windows to perfection, the rest will all fall into place!

post of the week.... :)

Excellent post, except that I would disagree that it's down to luck. I believe you get out what you put in in terms of time, effort, determination, professionalism and an ability to engage with people from all walk of life.

John

When you started up if 5 other guys had moved into your area and started up at around the same time as you would it have been as easy for you to get to where you are now ?
Even the person who started Amazon couldnt do it now if he had to compete with Amazon, luck always plays a part.

I started up again when I relocated from the UK to Ireland in 2011. The area I moved into was decimated by the recession. I was almost laughed at when I told some people that I intended to start a window cleaning service here. They reasoned I wouldn't find enough work to make it happen, and to go back to England.

It took 4 years of very hard graft to establish myself, and I even began to wonder at one stage if they were right after all, it was that tough. But I told myself that failure was not an option, persevered and now work is flying in. No, I don't believe it's luck at all. In my experience it was all down to what I said above.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

TomCrowther

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 06:14:18 pm »
A day will come when you will think about packing it in. Typically, a whole load of things will go wrong at the same time and will test your resolve. Keep pushing on and you will get there.