clearview window c

2 di bottles save on resin?
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:51:53 am »
when my resin reaches about 15 on the tds, i throw away the resin. would it save money if i had 2 di bottles linked and only replaced the first bottle when it is truly spent, thus giving the clean resin in the second bottle less to do and therefore lasting longer. has anyone tried this? does it save on resin ? cheers
 ???

Ian_Giles

Re: 2 di bottles save on resin?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:10:49 pm »
I don't know of anyone that has done this, but it may well make sense to fully exhaust your resin to extract the last drop of usefulness from your resin.

And you would know when your older resin is completely exhausted when the TDS in your storage tank starts to creep up again.

Give it a go and tell us all how it works out ;)

Unless someone else has already done so of course?

Regards

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

gaza

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 03:10:52 pm »
IT works fine one on inlet side doing the graft ,one polishing aving a BRETT day ;D ,when your tds runs over the limit youve set your self to operate pure water at,refill the grafter place were the BRETT one is and let the grafter have a rest.

WORKS perfect

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 04:37:58 pm »
Sorry GAZA i don't know what you are saying. Please explain what a BRETT or (in this context) a "grafter" is.

Thanks
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 05:01:56 pm »
IT works fine one on inlet side doing the graft ,one polishing aving a BRETT day ;D ,when your tds runs over the limit youve set your self to operate pure water at,refill the grafter place were the BRETT one is and let the grafter have a rest.

WORKS perfect

GAZA

I understand him (sort of) and think it's quite a clever; funny post.  Gaza is intimating that Brett (a member here) is quite lazy, and only finishes jobs that someone else has done most of the hard work.

He's using Brett as a metaphor for the second DI unit, that polishes the nearly pure water after the first DI unit has done most of the heavy duty work.

I think.

gaza

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:37:02 pm »
TOSH: BRETT HAS BECAME A BUDDY FROM OF HERE :he will take it as a lauff but your right in understanding it TOSH will sit down and explain in more detail but not knowing what layout he has carnt explain it properly using 1 di vessel would be impossible here in Nottm {wish we were that lucky} just going out for a while so more indepth answer will follow.

gaza

dai

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:45:24 pm »
It Would work untill the TDS out of the first bottle reads the same as your normal tap water, you will then have sqeezed every last bit of use out of it. Dai

brett walker

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:14:27 pm »
 :'( :'(  That Gaza is always picking on me. I don't have 2 DI vessals, i have 2 flasks of tea, for my 2 hour lunch break. But tomorrow i've got to have the day off, because i have broken 1 of my flasks. Having a rest now.  ;D

Brett

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 06:59:39 pm »
i am no expert but this is what i have learned through research the depleted bottle will after a while start depleting the new bottle due to not being able to hold on to the tdsolids this process will accelarate fast once it starts and mess up your new resin quickly ,timing is the key
imagine a bucket of realy mucky water overspilling into a fresh bucket of water
if you put  a tds meter
 in between both vessels it would be easier to moniter

gaza

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 11:13:08 pm »
 SOMEONE KNICKED MY POSTING EXPLAINING THE TWO VESSEL SYSTEM:[HERE GOES}1st the layout would be 1 di vessel on the inlet side of the storage tank{the grafter vessel} this would be fed strait tap water from the tap. this would do the main filtering ,then into the storage tank were it would be stored till its needed {but storing it it will deteriate slowly}

Then when its required your pump will push it through the second vessel [polishing the water to a reading of 000 [pure water to the brush head]   Now lets call the no1 vessel the grafter and no2 the BRETT VESSEL.
When the pure water falls below 0.15 on the tds meter its time to change the BRETT VESSEL so replenish it with new resin,and put it were the GRAFTER VESSEL WAS, and place the grafter vessel were the BRETT VESSEL was.

SO THE ONE ON THE INLET SIDE GOES WERE NO 2 VESSEL WAS AND THE NOW REPLENISHED NO2 VESSEL NOW BECOMES THE NO 1 VESSEL WAS, AND THE PROCESS STARTS AGAIN.
 GAZA

UBA1

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 12:34:49 pm »
when my resin reaches about 15 on the tds, i throw away the resin. would it save money if i had 2 di bottles linked and only replaced the first bottle when it is truly spent, thus giving the clean resin in the second bottle less to do and therefore lasting longer. has anyone tried this? does it save on resin ? cheers
 ???

Yes it works. I used to change my resin once every 8 working days (reached 012). I have a TDS of 650-750! I used a extra carridge, and this is now my 3rd week, with the readings still at 001!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 08:45:21 pm »
What size di unit would be used for the above?

Does it matter?

sair

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 04:12:25 pm »
its a very simple process can be done either one for filling one for polishing . or two in line .
the best results we have are from 6x35 cannisters which take half a sack each , we will generaly get between 4000-5000 liters from half a sack in an area of 300 approx . the length and width seem to make a differece with the nature of the way in which resin dies
sometimes its called roughing it , makes sense as when resin hits 10-20 you change canniisters has only be used at say 20% its capisity to reduse the tds of resin .
we fit all our di systems this way
Essentially Pure Ltd

dai

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 08:23:35 pm »
I use two vessels in line. Tap to inlet on vessel one, hose from outlet to inlet on vessel two, outlet from vessel two to my containers. If you are DI only it makes sense. Just keep checking the TDS on water coming from vessel one. As long as the TDS is less than your tap water you are getting benefit from it. Over time the saving on resin will be substantial. Dai

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 08:27:23 pm »
I have ppm of 50-70, would 2 DI's do me?

gaza

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 11:57:05 pm »
bear 50 tds wow deff di system or run it through a ro first you may well not need a di vessel at all,cus the ro has 1 litre resin faciility to polish.mine goes in at 350ish comes out 001,so whats yours going to be at 50ish tds when it comes out of ro system 000?

gaza

dai

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 07:56:54 pm »
The Bear, my TDS is 52 to 57 ppm. Even if I WFP everything, it  costs less than £2 a day for resin, and that's with my Mrs and her backpack working with me 3 days a week. I work 5 sometimes 6 days
If your going DI only then using two vessels is the way to go. DAI

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 08:24:03 pm »
What is your system made up of Dai?

dai

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 07:59:59 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean here, My WFP system is a DIY sack truck based one.
60 psi Shurflow pump and Varistream 2 flow controller driven by an 85 amp hour leisure battery. My trolley carries 2 x20 or 25 ltr containers. I use an unger 32ft teleplus pole, or what ever sections of it I need, and one of Gaza's Salmon brushes.
I have a small hozelock reel mounted on the trolley. It holds 30mtrs of 6mm bore hose.
I use one DI vessel until the TDS GOES TO 3PPM. When this happens I connect my second DI vessel, so that it is being fed 3ppm water instead of 52ppm tap water.
I keep checking the TDS coming out of the first vessel. When the reading rises to 50ppm, I discard the resin and refill it. The TDS of the second vessel is still 0 ppm, so I just use this one until the TDS goes to 3PPM, I then connect the newly filled vessel and repeat the process. It takes about 4 weeks for the TDS to rise from 3ppm to 50ppm, depending on how much water your using. If I am working alone I do tops only and use about 120 ltrs a day. This can more than double if the Mrs is with me using her backpack. Hope this helps, Dai

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 08:58:03 pm »
its a very simple process can be done either one for filling one for polishing . or two in line .
the best results we have are from 6x35 cannisters which take half a sack each , we will generaly get between 4000-5000 liters from half a sack in an area of 300 approx . the length and width seem to make a differece with the nature of the way in which resin dies
sometimes its called roughing it , makes sense as when resin hits 10-20 you change canniisters has only be used at say 20% its capisity to reduse the tds of resin .
we fit all our di systems this way

Are 6x35 the best size then?

http://www.gapswater.co.uk/acatalog/Vessel_complete_with_head_riser_and_screens.html