cleewindows

white spotting?
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:16:36 am »
i have tds of 2.
I just cleaned a house a 5 bed detached and soon as windows dried there was white spots and even runs?
Any ideas why,i rinsed properly,water was beading a lot on the glass,more than normal.
Cheers for any advice given.

daz1977

Re: white spotting?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:21:45 am »
could they be really dirty windows, on some first cleans i have to do them twice to get them clean

cleewindows

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:26:37 am »
probably mate,the frames and vents were filthy,it was a big house,said they have window cleaner every 2 weeks trad.anyway hes on holiday and they have visitors,im thinking she hasnt had them done since last year,its a newly built house.
 i think she was telling porkys and wanted it doing for 8 quid.
I charged 26 with 6 windows inside cleaning and she is on about she likes waterfed better than traditional and says she will call me as she thinks she wants me to clean windows.

daz1977

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:37:24 am »
prob only got it done because people where visiting,  unless it is on a very busy main road, then they should not be filthy after 2 weeks,  and if they are getting done every 2 weeks, he must be  crap wc

cleewindows

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
its a long way off the road
I just come to the conclusion hes a very useless window cleaner and to be honest how the house was designed it would have been near impossible to climb upto the windows on a ladder.
prob only got it done because people where visiting,  unless it is on a very busy main road, then they should not be filthy after 2 weeks,  and if they are getting done every 2 weeks, he must be  crap wc

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:07:01 pm »
its one of those tricky situations with wfp for me any new clean wfp wise i tend to do them twice or three times to get the grime off the frames and runs mate  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:37:16 am »
What A and J said is so true; although you haven't specified, I'm guessing white UPVC frames and here's my thoughts.

Last done trad and not for a while. Frames filthy. Vents filthy.

Trad will mean that soapy residue will be "pushed" into the seals between the glass and the frame and will remain there until rinsed out.

Filthy frames - especially those above - will mean that it only takes one run of impure water (due to water mixing with a bit of dirt from where the top frame meets the brickwork) dripping down and causing a run or spots.

Vents - these are the daddy of all the causes of runs and lines of spots - there are two ways of dealing with them thoroughly on a new clean.

On upper windows - go round every top window starting with the upper frame and vent and wash and scrub thoroughly including the upper seal and then quickly wash the rest of the window.

Go back to the start and you will probably see little black dribbles below the vents to the glass. Wipe these away on very low water pressure and then thoroughly side frame, glass and cill.

On lower windows you can do the same but if you can reach the top frame by hand then it will be quicker to wfp the top frame then go back and use a cill towel to wipe away the runs. Then do the rest of the window as for the upper windows.

It takes time, which is why you should always charge more for a first clean and do a good job rather than say to the custy it will be 2 or 3 cleans before it comes good. (IMO) Then next time you can fly round.

My fee is a pint of Wadsworth 6X of course! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

cleewindows

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:49:24 am »
cheers sounds like the diagnosis.they were gleaming from a distance but as you got nearer there was spots and runs.
Cheers

What A and J said is so true; although you haven't specified, I'm guessing white UPVC frames and here's my thoughts.

Last done trad and not for a while. Frames filthy. Vents filthy.

Trad will mean that soapy residue will be "pushed" into the seals between the glass and the frame and will remain there until rinsed out.

Filthy frames - especially those above - will mean that it only takes one run of impure water (due to water mixing with a bit of dirt from where the top frame meets the brickwork) dripping down and causing a run or spots.

Vents - these are the daddy of all the causes of runs and lines of spots - there are two ways of dealing with them thoroughly on a new clean.

On upper windows - go round every top window starting with the upper frame and vent and wash and scrub thoroughly including the upper seal and then quickly wash the rest of the window.

Go back to the start and you will probably see little black dribbles below the vents to the glass. Wipe these away on very low water pressure and then thoroughly side frame, glass and cill.

On lower windows you can do the same but if you can reach the top frame by hand then it will be quicker to wfp the top frame then go back and use a cill towel to wipe away the runs. Then do the rest of the window as for the upper windows.

It takes time, which is why you should always charge more for a first clean and do a good job rather than say to the custy it will be 2 or 3 cleans before it comes good. (IMO) Then next time you can fly round.

My fee is a pint of Wadsworth 6X of course! ;D