*Mr Tumble

White spirit in wfp water
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:44:31 pm »
I have been trialling this for a few days - it seems to make the glass hydroscopic.

In a 250l tank I added two litres o white spirit, now I'm wondering if other solvents might do the same trick?

Any thoughts?

~Fumble~

sgibsoncleaning

Re: White spirit in wfp water
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:08 pm »
why would you want to put an oil based liquid in pure water. have you ever cleaned recently painted woodwork it runs white and drys badly

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »
I don't think it is oil is it? It's what I call a 'hyper-detergent.  You wash grease off with it don't you?

Maybe it was a fluke?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:21 pm »
I don't think it is oil is it? It's what I call a 'hyper-detergent.  You wash grease off with it don't you?

Maybe it was a fluke?

What have your results been like? Honestly now???

It is oil based,... and it may actually damage your pump.

If you haven't had bad results, its probably because it floats on water and you haven't actually used any of it yet,.. it'll all come out in one go as you get to the very bottom of the tank.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:18:23 pm »
I have a sneaky feeling that painters who "clean" the glass after painting with white spirits or turps substitute make the glass phobic and help cause future spotting problems ?

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:29:22 pm »
Only trying to share what I've been experimenting with mate.  No need to be quite so offensive.

I have used white spirit, a tiny tiny amount of meths, and even peroxide in small amounts.  one of it made, or seemed to make any big difference.

Nothing ventured nothing gained so no need be unpleasant.

Pj

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:32 pm »
You could be on to something with peroxide.  H2o2?

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:55 pm »
I was spurred on by the idea of using IPA isopropanal.  Wrong time of year maybe, better wait until it's colder.

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:34:57 pm »
You could be on to something with peroxide.  H2o2?
What is was with peroxide was those disco dance floors with the low lying ice areas.  Dry ice isn't actually that cold - in fact, it's not cold at all.  What is does on glass I don't know, but why not try it out to see what happens?

So nothing big happened!  Why is it so wrong to try it out?

You know, sometimes I wonder why I bother sharing stuff like this.   :-[  :-\  :(

:(

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:53:23 pm »
what effect do these have on tds reading then ???

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:39 am »
what effect do these have on tds reading then ???
I've never taken a tds reading of them, I was only interested in what they seemed to do to the glass.

Take isopropanol - I don't think it made any difference to the sheeting or beading thing, but I know its meant to have a low tds.

Mr Merson - the same reason evryone else comes here  ::)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:03 am »
Several replies deleted  >:(

Mr Tumble, White spirit is not water soluble! and as has been stated will float on the top of your pure water, at some point it will cause you problems!!!

People, Mr Tumble doesn't deserve to by sneered at, offer sensible advice please or don't bother posting at all.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

mr merson

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:45:59 am »

Mr Tumble, White spirit is not water soluble! and as has been stated will float on the top of your pure water, at some point it will cause you problems!!!

People, Mr Tumble doesn't deserve to by sneered at, offer sensible advice please or don't bother posting at all.

Ian
Here here , well said Ian .

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:44 am »
Peroxide sounds like it could be a winner. How does it compare cost-wise to IPA?

I've got some IPA,... I tried it and noticed a minimal improvement in cleaning frames but not much else. The cost of it puts me off though. 3 months supply of IPA for me is the same price as a diy hot setup!

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 11:35:17 am »

Ian
Dammit you're right. I just checked and when you look closely at the surface, or a bit below it, you can see a sort of line - so I guess none of it has gone to the outlet and so none on the glass means it's not going to work! I did shake the mix around a bit, but all you see are clear bubbles sort of thing, then it seperates again.

Back to the drawing board!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 12:53:53 pm »
Gg3/4 is a "soluble" mix.

ftp

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »
If this is a genuine post (and i doubt very much it is) then you have probably ruined everything with white spirit because it's not going to mix with water.

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 02:43:19 pm »
If this is a genuine post (and i doubt very much it is) then you have probably ruined everything with white spirit because it's not going to mix with water.
One, you are obviously not reading my posts closely enough, and two, if you don't like it, don't read it, you don't have to try to close everybodys minds down to the possibilities, and third you are in no position to say if anything is in doubt or otherwise clever clogs.

notes: the white spirit does not mix with water, as as now been established (if you'd read the thread properly) and therefore has not 'ruined everything'.  What I have to do is skim the top off the tank (probably siphon) and job's done.

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:31:26 pm »
if you do not want constructive input then dont post. my answer was not offensive yet you question my answer. fair enough we all try things out, i have in the past 7 years of water fed pole use. i guess there was some other posts that were removed, but i feel you jumped at mine even though you were wrong

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:34:08 pm »
if you do not want constructive input then dont post. my answer was not offensive yet you question my answer. fair enough we all try things out, i have in the past 7 years of water fed pole use. i guess there was some other posts that were removed, but i feel you jumped at mine even though you were wrong
I don't think I jumped at you at all, mate.  Sorry if you felt I did - I honestly did not.  It was the other numptyby replies that weren't called for.