AuRavelling79

Re: Ladders are banned
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 07:34:29 pm »

Gotta say Malc that for one of the more literate people on this site you do talk a load of rubbish at times.

My wife agrees with that 100%!

And so do I!  ;D

Oh, and none taken by the way! ;D ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 07:35:14 pm »
It's Bristol thing Malc. ;D

brightnclean

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 07:53:42 pm »
Hmmmm I think I can see your problem Rog.

I wasnt saying that you dont do a good job with WFP. I do think that you are now stuck between a rock and a hard place now mate  :(

Maybe it's time for you to look further afield for "quality customers" and get away from the miserable brigade. There are areas that I won't go near at all coz I know that they will moan and whinge and probably want it done for peanuts.

I do sympathise with you Rog. This whole thing must be getting you down badly. I would hate to see you eventually give up (Even if it's just for your errrr  interesting posts here)  :)

If your customers wont change.. change your customers Rog. O.K. it will take a while but not too long and you will start to make the real bucks and maybe even enjoy it mate.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 08:13:20 pm »
Roger - how did you prepare your customers for the fact that they were going to have you do them wfp?
It's a game of three halves!

DASERVICES

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 08:35:27 pm »
I might be wrong on this but would the housing association have to insurance cover for workmen that work on their premises. If so as we know the price of insurance has gone up and some will not cover ladder usage. So maybe this has effected their desicion.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 08:44:50 pm »
I just feel sorry for the trad guy that has lost a good contract just because he uses ladders.  But I suppose if the contract was that good he would have gone wfp.

Simon.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:22 pm »
I think the wording to the effect that "Working at height should be avoided wherever possible" kind of says it all really.

Spot on, and as the HSE hasn't made an overall ruling they can't pick and chose which bits they want to enforce and which area they think they can use it in.
We're WFP and I don't have a prob with ladder users providing they are used correctly, and no one is stoping painters etc from using them.

williamx

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 10:07:23 pm »
I might be wrong on this but would the housing association have to insurance cover for workmen that work on their premises. If so as we know the price of insurance has gone up and some will not cover ladder usage. So maybe this has effected their desicion.

I think it could be that because you are doing work on behalf of the housing associations, they have to make sure that you don't have any accidents, if possible.

So if you use a ladder incorrectly and have an accident, then they are liable, even though its was your fault and not theirs.

macmac

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 10:39:14 pm »
If I'd known it was going to obliterate my round, and generally make everyone miserable and untrusting, I may have thought twice.

Squeaks, (rog)

Is that honestly how you've found using a WFP?  I'm really surprised.
Tosh, yes most of the time.
It's annoying and demoralising.

I like using it, I know I do a good job, but they're dropping like flies.
I'm sure there will more yet. :(

I've lost an entire £150 day today.
I'll explain in a separate thread later...

If i were you mate i'd put the ladders back on the van & use both methods, at least for now. losing money at that rate's gonna break you.

tony

cvdewsbury

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:45 pm »
i currentley do work for the said company,and actually spoke to the health and safety officer re ladder use...as from next year no ladders are allowed on there sites.on my nxt visit i have to tie ladders onto the eye bolts in the walls or use a ladder tray FOR HARD GROUND. ON SOFT GROUND the HSO was happy in us using ladders as they are all fitted with safety spikes...
whilst there the HSO ordered the manager  take down all pictures off the walls and flower displays from tables as they was seen as a fire hazard.also come xmas time no decorations or cards can be put up...this is only for communial areas,again fire hazard.

Mr.G

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 12:13:50 am »
Is he mentally ill?

simon knight

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 06:20:18 am »

Gotta say Malc that for one of the more literate people on this site you do talk a load of rubbish at times.

My wife agrees with that 100%!

And so do I!  ;D

Oh, and none taken by the way! ;D ;D

...and none meant ;D ;D

xxmattyxx

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 08:53:16 am »

whilst there the HSO ordered the manager  take down all pictures off the walls and flower displays from tables as they was seen as a fire hazard.also come xmas time no decorations or cards can be put up...this is only for communial areas,again fire hazard.

Have flowers and pictures in communal areas a habit of spontaneously combusting then?

Helen

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 11:14:32 am »
As much as H & S CAN be taken too far sometimes, for once it is good to see an authority practising what is being preached for once. There are too many "authority" types spouting rules and regulations and then not following there own rulings. We use both WFP and Trad methods. Years ago we did work for a company who said "we do not allow ladder usage on our sites, great wfp being another tool we use we had no problem, or at least thought so. They renaged on payment, so off to court we went and obviously stopped doing work for them. We kept an eye on what was going on and yes they used a "trad" business to follow us!!!!? We caught up with him one day and found that his prices were lower than ours, and if the powers to be showed on site, he had to stop work and be discreet! So again price had dictated circumstance and overuled H & S regs. We got paid and heard that the trad guy stopped work for them took them to court aswell for non payment.

Helen

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 11:20:24 am »
Retirement places are very tight with H & S, they have to be. We have retiremnt areas on our books and the rules they have to follow are quite stringent, but when you think about it, are probably right. No gas equipment whatsover in the flats or to be used on site, no trip hazards etc in communal areas, no fire hazards etc in communal areas, no flower tubs/ornaments by doorsteps, the list is endless, but it is trying to protect the occupants ;D

NWH

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 06:56:11 pm »
1 of the main reasons i went WFP was the fact that i do 4 large houseing association contracts and the manager told me that i would not be allowed to use ladders on site,she gave me 6mths to convert before there new policys started.