jeff1

Did my very first wfp clean today
« on: December 13, 2006, 04:56:02 pm »
Hi Guy's

Father Christmas came to me yesterday, My hasn't he changed he's skinny now, does not wear his red suit anymore and drives a TNT truck ;D on board he had all my wfp gear yipeee!.

I did my very first house today with wfp, alright it was my own, but you have to start somewhere don't you?

TDS readings out of tap 140- out of RO 004- out of DI 000

I filtered enough water today to fill my backpack, set everything up to have a practice on my own windows that have always been cleaned the Trad way and the last time they were cleaned was about September.

I decided to do the windows as if it was not a first clean to see how long it took me, normally takes me half hour and I have about thirty windows including 2 doors, with wfp it took me 12 minutes OMG I was shocked, I have read many posts saying how fast it was but this is unreal,

The windows were beading not one sheeted, so I have started off on the worse type of window.
It took a while for it to dry, but in the mean time I was walking around the house checking all the windows out, and to my supprise all but the kitchen window were good,
I did have the occasional spots on some windows, so would like to know how you guy's cope when windows spots? and is there away to over come this?

RO-Sheen

Re: Did my very first wfp clean today
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:08:12 pm »
Nice one Jeff, welcome to the future!!

If you are still getting spots on the window then you are.....
1, Not rinsing well enough - Turn up the water flow and give it a good rinse.
2, Not washing the top of the frames enough (these are just as important as the glass because if the frames are not spotless then they will slowly drip dirty water onto the frames
3, Your water isnt pure enough (but I can see that you have 000 out of your DI so its not that)
Formerly known as GARGAAX

MNWC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:16:48 pm »
30 WINDOWS  :o :o :o

All the best for the future

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:24:47 pm »
Hi Jeff

You have made a move you won't regret.

Anyway RO-Sheen has covered most of the problems.

And like he said make sure you clean that top frame well on the first clean its a doddle after that.
And also rinse well, This is one of the problems i had when i first changed over and mine was down to not rinsing enough.

Also be careful with airvents as these can cause problems, I had loads of problems with these.
But once you get the hang of how to clean properties with airvents its a doddle

Your going to get through quite a bit of water as you have only just got the equipment but once you get the hang of it the amount of water you use will come down quite a bit.

Keep us all informed on how you get on when you unleash it on your customers.

Paul

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:25:54 pm »
Nice one Jeff, welcome to the future!!

If you are still getting spots on the window then you are.....
1, Not rinsing well enough - Turn up the water flow and give it a good rinse.
2, Not washing the top of the frames enough (these are just as important as the glass because if the frames are not spotless then they will slowly drip dirty water onto the frames
3, Your water isnt pure enough (but I can see that you have 000 out of your DI so its not that)

Many thanks mrs sheen, I'm glad you sait the future, I thought it was the darks side ;D

The spots are my own fault then, I didn't do the frames properly and did not rinse properly as I only had about 17ltrs of water to play with, what you said about the frames I noticed on the kitchen were it had run down the small window, when I set up properly I will use plenty of water, I had my backpack set on setting No2.

30 WINDOWS :o :o :o

All the best for the future
Thanks Marcus
You would have to see the windows to see what I mean, most of my windows have a small 10'' pain at the bottom instead of a small vent window at the top, so I counted  them in aswell as it is a window. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean.

marc al

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:29:45 pm »
  How many actual openings? Not panes of glass, that would work out to a window every 24 seconds!!

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:30:22 pm »
The above says it all.
The good thing is that once spotting is overcome with wfp it will come up good each time unless you do the above, or go round too quick before dripping has stopped. 
UPVC comes up nice and old glass comes up a treat everytime. But i find that even with good scrubbing wooden frames can leave spots the 1st time or 2.
I sometimes avoid the tops of frames on stained wooden windows if they spot the 1st time. Well maintained painted windows are ok.
The vast majority of spots i've had have been on the 1st clean and mostly downstairs windows. I sometimes wipe these windows if i notice spotting on any.

Good luck with it and don't get too disheartened with any criticism of your work.

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:34:08 pm »
Hi Jeff

You have made a move you won't regret.

Anyway RO-Sheen has covered most of the problems.

And like he said make sure you clean that top frame well on the first clean its a doddle after that.
And also rinse well, This is one of the problems i had when i first changed over and mine was down to not rinsing enough.

Also be careful with airvents as these can cause problems, I had loads of problems with these.
But once you get the hang of how to clean properties with airvents its a doddle

Your going to get through quite a bit of water as you have only just got the equipment but once you get the hang of it the amount of water you use will come down quite a bit.

Keep us all informed on how you get on when you unleash it on your customers.

Paul
Thanks Paul

It is my fault I know, I didn't do it as a first clean, to be honest with you I wanted to make mistakes, I would sooner do it on my own and not on customers, my daughters are all next,

The lazy bugger next door came out poking his nose in and said you can practice on mine if you like ::) said I would for a tenner, well your only just learning how to use it he said, Just told him that money doesn't grow on trees for most of us. (he's been on the dole for about five years.)
I will keep you upto date and no doubt will be back on asking more questions.
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:36:13 pm »
welcome to the real world jeff
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

macc

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 05:47:21 pm »
Hi Jeff.

Well done mate. In my oppinion this is the best time of year to change over. By the time spring comes you will be getting to grips with wfp, the windows & frames coming good. Customers wont notice so much any spots you get in the early days because of the short days.  ;D

Welcome to the world of professional window cleaning,  ;).

Macc

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:51:53 pm »
  How many actual openings? Not panes of glass, that would work out to a window every 24 seconds!!

Hi Marc
It works out like that, to be 13 opening windows but I will put pictures up tomorrow to show you what I mean, I have 4 large windows to my front room and 2 open, three on the front bedroom and 2 open and so on.
Don't forget Marc I blasted around and my main reason was only had about 17ltrs of water in the backpack, so I went around fast just to do them all before I run out and in the hope I would make mistakes, I know wanting to make mistakes sounds daft, but I would sooner do it on mine than a customers.
I am happy my windows spotted, if they didn't I would have ended up doing it on a customers house, and mean a second clean for them, Now it happened on mine I will rinse more and take extra care over the frames.

I have been on this forum for some time now as a Trad cleaner, but read hundreds of posts on wfp, but nothing really sinks in until you start to do it for your self.  Just like the spotting I have read about it, when it started to bead on the windows I blamed the type of glass, but when you ask the question I find its because I never rinsed properlly, now that I am wfp its now actually sunk in to rinse the windows and frame. I won't make that mistake again.

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 05:55:28 pm »
Hi Jeff.

Well done mate. In my oppinion this is the best time of year to change over. By the time spring comes you will be getting to grips with wfp, the windows & frames coming good. Customers wont notice so much any spots you get in the early days because of the short days.  ;D

Macc
Thanks Macc
I have never been this excited since I was a kid, I said to my boss, I picked the wrong time of year to start, but putting it your way has opened my eye's and cheered me up.
Thanks Macc

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 05:57:30 pm »

Thanks Jay
I'll know what your all talking about now  ;D

macc

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 06:27:17 pm »
 ;)

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 06:36:03 pm »

Thanks Jay
I'll know what your all talking about now  ;D

you are now a true member of the elite mob, or at least the safety mob, no more climbing ladders.
i know what you mean when you say you feel like a boy with a new toy, i was the same 2 years ago
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »

Macc
Macc, you only write bullocks like that just in case I read it. ;D

Londoner

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 06:55:12 pm »
WE are all professionals, lets not forget that means we are in it for the money.

You said all the windows beaded, This could be because you cleaned them in the past with fairyor whatever.

If so all your trad customers are likely to be the same and don't worry it will wear off after a couple of cleans.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing a good job on the first clean because thats the one that the customers go round afterwards inspecting the glass.
If they are satisfied with that the chances are they just accept that the new system works and forget to look ever again.

And yes it is fast isn't it?

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 07:28:47 pm »
WE are all professionals, lets not forget that means we are in it for the money.

You said all the windows beaded, This could be because you cleaned them in the past with fairyor whatever.

If so all your trad customers are likely to be the same and don't worry it will wear off after a couple of cleans.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing a good job on the first clean because thats the one that the customers go round afterwards inspecting the glass.
If they are satisfied with that the chances are they just accept that the new system works and forget to look ever again.

And yes it is fast isn't it?

All my windows beaded because I wasn't going to waste my squeegie off on it (tight arse I am lol) but for the customers I have used squeegie off  on theres for about 4 months now, but I will use more water than I did on my own. fast isnt the word, the only thing I will worry about is justifying the price for the time spent on there house, but no way am I dropping my prices.

Welcome to the world of professional window cleaning, ;).

Macc
Macc, you only write bullocks like that just in case I read it. ;D

Squeeks
I know you were talking some time back about changing over to the dark side, and said maybe next year.

Now i dont say I'm fast with trad because I never really timed myself and I never really took any notice,
now, you like me, have read all the past posts on how much faster wfp is and I took it all with a pinch of salt, but I did shock myself with the speed I did my own house. 12 minutes against half hour, thats some time difference and I'm inexperienced in wfp.

do the change over squeeks but do it in your own time and when funds allow, next year don't buy that new lense you promised yourself, put the money into a system and I promise you, you will be able to afford that camera you want aswell, one thing for sure I will keep my hand in on the Trad, you never know when you will need it.

Please Guy's don't turn this into a lets get squeeky, he will more than likley change over when he is ready and not before,
I wanted to change over in the summer but with all the building going on in my house I had to watch my pennies but I  am lucky I have a good boss of thirty years.

macmac

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 07:48:29 pm »
i have never found beading to have anything to do with what it has been cleaned with before to be honest, nor have i ever had a window stop beading nomatter how many times it has been wfp'p.i'm not saying vince green is wrong, just my experience over last 3 years wfp.i dont want you brushing away all day thinking that the beading will stop as i'm almost sure it'll make no difference.
what do the other guy's think??

good luck :D

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 07:48:47 pm »
Congratulations Mate! i know you'll enjoy Window Cleaning even more now you have this system!

Best Wishes, Shaun!!    ;D ;D

jeff1

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 08:15:40 pm »
Thanks Guy's I'm begining to hate christmas I want it over and done with  ;D I've had my christmas presents and I want to get out and play with them  ;D

Just told my daughter she's getting her windows cleaned this week, she nearly died of shock, ;D  she just said, dad I have to beg you normally to do my windows, I just replied give it time sweetheart it might wear off again  ;D ;D

brett walker

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:10 pm »
well done jeff  :)

and good luck

the futures bright the futures wfp  8)  ;)

may all your problems be small ones but then thats what this forums all about helping each other

regards

Brett

Pj

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 09:21:13 pm »
i have never found beading to have anything to do with what it has been cleaned with before to be honest, nor have i ever had a window stop beading nomatter how many times it has been wfp'p.i'm not saying vince green is wrong, just my experience over last 3 years wfp.i dont want you brushing away all day thinking that the beading will stop as i'm almost sure it'll make no difference.

I'm Deliberately Typing This With Capitals So You Take Notice...

A Spot Free Finish Is Not Necessarily To Do With Sheeting Or Beading Glass!

Beading Glass Will Dry Spot Free If You Clean & Rinse Properly....

Wash those top rails well.

jeff1

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 09:39:48 pm »

I'm Deliberately Typing This With Capitals So You Take Notice...

A Spot Free Finish Is Not Necessarily To Do With Sheeting Or Beading Glass!

Beading Glass Will Dry Spot Free If You Clean & Rinse Properly....

Wash those top rails well.
Thanks Guy's
Will do Pj cause I know you'll be watching me  ;D ;D

poleman

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 09:48:07 pm »
WELCOME to the world of WFP  8)

THATS the good bit

Your 1st year wont be easy and at times you will think why did I change but you will never go back   ;)

Andy

Pj

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53:22 pm »
So, what are you driving now, Jeff?

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 10:33:34 pm »
WELCOME to the world of WFP  8)

THATS the good bit

Your 1st year wont be easy and at times you will think why did I change but you will never go back   ;)

Andy

Thanks Andy
In the new year I plan to buy lots of spares to be on my gaurd for any faults,but will always have the ladders to fall back on (no pun intended) ;D
I hope I  never have to climb them again for cleaning windows, but I know I have some customers in the same area were I will need my ladders to gain access to flat roofs.

So, what are you driving now, Jeff?
Still driving my mondeo estate, its out of hospital now and back on the road ;D need it for towing my caravan, so if I do get a van in the future it has to be capable of pulling it.

I am still unsure of the way to go? I could mount it all in the car 250ltr tank car specs are good for it, or I could convert my trailer that has fitted brakes.
still playing with the idea, if I use my trailer I have designed an alarm for it based on a mecury tilt switch, but first of all I have to build a lockable lid for it, to much money spent to leave it just laying about out side without protection.

I also have a lockable, ally pole carrier that cost me a free clean from one of my customers (£8) he used to be a plumber but gave it up to work in the helicopter factory here.

Just built myself a lockable pump box, but just read the spec about having air circulating around it, so I'll have to drill some more holes in it.

Does anyone know why you have to mount a varistream on the face of things? and why can't you mount it ontop of a box so the switch is facing upwards, the only reason I can see is so heat from the transistors heatsinks goes away from the pcb and not onto it. Does anyone know the answer?

zeusjazmin

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 09:03:23 am »
my first attemp was a disaster,but i can see real improvement now,i only use wfp for contract work as i think it is too much hassle on domestics

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 02:10:56 pm »
my first attemp was a disaster,but i can see real improvement now,i only use wfp for contract work as i think it is too much hassle on domestics

Zeusjazmin,

I think the backpack is great for domestic work.  Why don't you start a new post giving your problems with it and let's see if some of us 'backpack guys' can give you a few tips?

There's so many variations of useing this flexible tool, that I'm sure you'd be to get a few ideas how to use it more effectively and easier too.

Richy L

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 02:13:17 pm »
Zeusjazmin,
I agree with you. I found it too much hastle personally for my domestic customers, on commercial its great!
I do know however, Tosh swears by it, and a few ofther guys on the forum use it for all the domestic work to. I suppose it all depends what type of round you have to start off with, and how fast you are at trad!

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 02:56:28 pm »

Zeusjazmin,

I think the backpack is great for domestic work.  Why don't you start a new post giving your problems with it and let's see if some of us 'backpack guys' can give you a few tips?

There's so many variations of useing this flexible tool, that I'm sure you'd be to get a few ideas how to use it more effectively and easier too.

I agree with Tosh about starting another post, I have just bought a backpack and would like to see the comments.