M4RK

Window Cleaning DVD
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:45:47 pm »

See the trailer at:

www.windowcleaningessentials.co.uk

It would be ideal for someone just starting up, but even window cleaners that have been doing it for a while can pick up tips on how to do increase  speed on traditional work.

The guy cleaning in the video ( ::) me) is the same guy in this video clip of the Windex Speed Event.
(  ::) )me again) 

http://www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk/html/window_cleaning_trade_shows.html

If you want to rip me apart now after seeing the clips, feel free.   :-[ :P ;D

Mark

S_RICHARDSON

Re: Window Cleaning DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:51:55 pm »
Trailer Doesnt work on my pc.

Do you know why?

M4RK

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:42 pm »
Hi,

Yes someone else told me that, do you use firefox?
Internet explorer should work.

Try this direct link.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/futurespace/wce-dvds-b.wmv

Let me know if you still have problems.

Mark

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:03:53 pm »
Still dunt work:

Could you send me the trailer in email:

shaun_richardson1991@yahoo.co.uk

M4RK

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:14 pm »
Strange that you can't open that link either.

I'll sort out an email for you.

Anyone else had problems?

I've uploaded the video trailer to Google video

here's the link

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6319820987865573931

It's streamed video so should work better but can still take time to show
with slow connection speeds.

Mark

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:29:33 pm »
I opened it and think its pretty crap.

Paul

M4RK

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
Thanks Paul,

Guess I asked for that.  :'(

Anything in particular?

Mark  :)

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 06:45:34 pm »
Well the chap doing the conservatory seems to be in a world of his own.

But mainly its all the tiny little clips i think are rubbish.
I think it would be better with slightly longer clips.

I think the only descent clip was the chap ragging the georgian windows with both hands.

But that is just my opinion

If its a DVD you made i apologise its great   :)

Paul

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 07:00:43 pm »
Mark,

Good idea!
Never had anything like this when I started.  Mind you probably wouldn't have bought it!
Too tight fisted.  Could buy a squeege, washer, scrim and sill cloth for that and watch a few others in town then try myself!!
However, I don't believe that is the right attitude!!  For £20 your DVD is, I hope, full of advise on all aspects of the trade which would take years to learn.  With the help of the DVD a new person to our trade may be able to learn faster and get up to a good rate quicker and soon earn back the £20 investment!

Good luck to you!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

rugby

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 07:16:31 pm »
looks good to me, im looking forward to the wfp dvd when it comes out, i will almost certainly buy it.your never to old or to clever to learn something new and if just one tip makes your working day more productive,then whats £20

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 07:36:53 pm »
I'd have bought it!  I think I spent a fiver on some crap e-mail American book which was horrendous.

I reckon if you're new to the trade, don't have someone experienced to show you the ropes, then twenty quid would be well worth it.

M4RK

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 07:49:29 pm »
Thanks guys,

The video is 45 mins long and the trailer is a bit rubbish actually...I didn't do the editing, but we don't want to give all the secrets away in the trailer!

The bit with me doing the conservatory is a bit while I'm talking at the same time.

Something else I'm not happy with on the trailer is the bit where I clean the sill with a blade...it's NOT the blade I use on the windows, its a cheap plastic squeegee I use occasionally to get the most of the water off first. I find your wet cloth stays decent for longer.

The stuff it covers is equipment and basic tecnhniques for beginners.
Then more advanced techniques - two handed techniques and time saving tips.

There's also a bit where we talk about organisation, cleaning in the rain, staying motivated etc.

The bit I like most is the comparison of time taken using basic techniques with that of the advanced techniques to see how much difference it makes.

Mark

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 08:12:31 pm »
Mark,

Send me a free one, and I'll write an honest review! ;D

M4RK

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 04:58:32 pm »
Tosh,

I might just take you up on that.. ;D

For £20 your DVD is, I hope, full of advise on all aspects of the trade which would take years to learn.  With the help of the DVD a new person to our trade may be able to learn faster and get up to a good rate quicker and soon earn back the £20 investment!

David, Sounds like you've seen it already!  ;D

your never to old or to clever to learn something new and if just one tip makes your working day more productive,then whats £20

Rugby talks a lot of sense :)

I'm quite camera shy so go easy on me Tosh!

Mark

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 05:19:13 pm »
I'm quite camera shy so go easy on me Tosh!

Mark

I'll just be honest.  If you're ugly, you're ugly and I'll state that in my review.

Regards

Tosh.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 05:47:14 pm »
Tosh

I have just ordered it , and will do an honest review when it arrives.

I think everyone knows I Speak my mind and call a spade a spade.

Dave

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 07:18:57 pm »
It's not that bad mark,
Me personally i wouldn't buy because I was specifically taught in person by my boss. I personally prefer this mehod because i grasp the idea more and take it in.

But that's just my opinion!

M4RK

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 10:39:50 pm »
I'll just be honest.  If you're ugly, you're ugly and I'll state that in my review.

Regards

Tosh. quote]

I have just ordered it , and will do an honest review when it arrives.

I think everyone knows I Speak my mind and call a spade a spade.

Dave

Gulp!

Oh pants, What have I let myself in for :-\

It's not George Lucas standard, so I'm not going to overhype, but I'm confident there'll be enough decent tips on there to make it worth buying...

I'd say it's better than the trailer, but we don't want to give too much away on the trailer do we.

Anyway I'm going to shut up now on the subject and we'll wait and see what you guys think after seeing it.

Let's talk about the window cleaning resources website instead!  ;D ;D

Mark

P®oPole™

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 10:43:26 pm »
Hi Mark,

I thought the trailer looks very pro, who is the other guy staring in it alongside you, a very fitting face and voice for such a dvd might i add.

ProPole

M4RK

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 10:49:39 pm »
Thanks ProPole,

His name's Steve,

He's the "presenter".

He's actually very good. I hate seeing myself on camera, but I think he's in his element!

He's a top bloke and it wouldn't be near as good without him.

Anyway, like I say, I'm gonna shut up for a bit about it and brace myself for the onslaught.  :-X

S.A.J

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 01:49:58 pm »
I bought it.

It arrived today, just watched it and in my opinion not brilliant, not poor but ok.
Good if your are a complete novice.

Look forward to the wfp one Mark. Will be of more interest to me.

Stuart
SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

rugby

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 08:41:06 pm »
watched the dvd today mark and im impressed, for anyone thinking of starting in this game this dvd will get them up and running and useing a good technique in no time,if you dont have anyone to train you one to one, then this dvd is the next best thing.

have you put it on e-bay, could be a good place to start sales up and running.

i see ctm productions did the filming, im also a wedding videographer so i was almost as interested in their filming, editing techique, as the window cleaning, i think they did a quite a good job, few slip ups in the editing but nothing most people would notice.

let us know when the water fed dvd is out, i will certainly buy that one as well

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 10:55:59 pm »
I thought it was o.k as a little taster, but as you said, you dont want to give too much away! or what would be the point in selling the dvd ;)

for me though, i hate to spend money on a dvd like that unless ive been told by everyone that its the dogs ballgame ;) which at the same time... does my head in cos i really wanna know what it contains :)
maybe im just nosey lol.........good luck with it though!
when I'm cleaning windows

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 11:07:47 pm »
Denis,

I think if you've been window cleaning for a few years, you'll know most of it already.

Saying that I probably picked up five tips that I may use on occassion, but the majority of it is not really for the experienced window cleaner.

However, Mark shows at least three GOOD advanced two-handed techniques mind; not just with a squeegie and applicator either, but it would be unfair for me to 'give them away' too; so I did pick some good stuff up.

Wait till I write the review before purchasing, or you may be a bit bored with it.

However, if you're new to window cleaning, this is definately for you.  No doubt about it.  Buy it; you'll have no regrets and you'll make much more than the 20 quid it's sold for; probably in one single day.

(I'm not on commision by the way).

I honestly wish I had this DVD when I started up. 

If I told you how I cleaned windows at first; you'd laugh.  Looking back, I can't believe some of the techniques I used.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:39 am »
Tosh, yeah i probably know most of the techniques, but saying that, before i came on this forum i thought i knew it all lol, but I definately did not! I learnt to window clean by working with a wc'r for 3 weeks and then buggered off on my own, just using the techniques i had learned from him, and i think i pretty much just stuck to those techniques for years lol. didnt really try much else as i thought i was good enough already :D
how wrong could i be lol
but thats why i wouldnt buy a video if i could help it, like you said m8, theres prob not too much i could learn from it!

you should have seen me when i started on my own lol, driving around with no roofrack.just a bucket of fairy mix, 2 tea towels and nothing else hehe. Had to clean bungalows until i could afford to buy some equippment  ::)
when I'm cleaning windows

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 07:32:55 am »
Dennis,

If you have any doubts about your skills, then maybe this video is for you?

All I can say that it's worth the 20 quid; no-one buying this will feel ripped off. 

I've seen a similar product being flogged for 90 Dollars; an American one; but I've not seen it, so can't comment on its content, but from the posters we've had and got from the US, they often have different working practices to our own.

I remember trying to clean leaded windows, regular maintenance cleans by scrubbing the whole window with an applicator, squeegying off the water and then polishing it all off with scrims.

It wrecked my rubber, but I never changed it for around three months.  I thought all the mess left behind on the windows was purely down to my bad squeegy technique.  I must've got through 20 scrims per day and you can imagine the hard work I suffered!

It's only simple stuff, but if you don't know, you don't know!

It's well worth it.  I'd have loved this DVD when I started up.

M4RK

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 04:42:34 pm »
Thank you for the positive comments! :)

I think it's a fair comment to say that it would be of particular interest to new starters. (eg. The basic equipment section would be a bit boring for someone who's been doing it a while.)

Saying that as Tosh says, you might just pick something useful up from the advanced techniques chapter even if you're experienced.

At the moment the dvd is available on ebay (see link above) or at www.windowcleaningessentials.co.uk.

Email me if you want to buy one but you don't use Pay Pal.

Mark

s.hughes

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 05:34:08 pm »
Am I right in saying that this is just for trade not wfp?

Steve

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 05:52:36 pm »
Mark H

I wont do a full review at the moment i am a bit busy, I just want to make one point, I dont agree with your last statement that an experienced WC would pick up anything from the vid, If i bought it as an experienced wc looking for tips i would be very disapointed.

Like Tosh said the CD is ideal for novices or total beginners, where it came in useful for me was , to show my wife, she doesnt listen to a word i say and she thinks i am getting at her when i correct her technique, and now she has seen the CD she can see the error of her ways.

Dave

M4RK

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 07:04:30 pm »
Oh well, at least your wife got something from it.

David, I know you are a very experienced window cleaner and I know from some of your other posts that you use some of the techniques demonstrated.

However, I've seen and worked with a lot of experienced window cleaners who don't use these techniques but would be quite capable of doing so.

You're right though, it is aimed particulary for somebody starting off with little experience and I said that in the first post. 

I'm sure Turbo Terry would find it boring, but even Tosh and Rugby seemed to have got something worthwhile from it.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 07:51:20 pm »
Mark

Its just that if you aim it at experienced operatives and they dont get anything out of it then you will come under fire.

My pholosophy is to educate myself the best i can in my chosen trade, I bought the DVD out of curiosity, I would still say to experienced window cleaners, If you are serious about your business then it is well worth a look, just to see if you are doing things the best you can, or is there something you are missing, £20 squids is not the end of the earth, so go take a look.

Its true you experienced guys may not get anything out of it, but maybe you may get one teeny weeny little tip which will save you the odd minute an house, then it would pay for itself.

But then again you might not get anything at all, but you wont know if you dont look.

Attention all newbies, this will probably be the best £20 you will ever spend.

I wish it was available when i started, I didnt have a clue, A bucket and sponge springs to mind.

I cant wait for the WFP dvd to come out, that should be very interesting, I have done the BWCA course and would love to see Marks take on WFP. ( If you need any wfp tips i would come and show, Expenses paid of course).

Dave

P.s Mark ,    The wife could not stop laughing on the most common mistakes, she still does the lot, even after 5 years, she has never listened to me, so i always just let her get on with it, but funnily enough it doesnt slow her down much, ( 50 cloths a day springs to mind lol

james44

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:44 pm »
Mark why not use paypal?, i ordered 1 last night through e-bay and used paypal

M4RK

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »
Thanks Dave,

James,

Just to clarify:  What I mean is, contact me if you want to pay by cheque.
The PayPal works but not everybody has a PayPal account.

WavieDavie

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 07:44:46 pm »
Hi Mark

I've just ordered one - where's the discount code for Cleanitup members?   ;)
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

M4RK

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2006, 07:02:23 pm »
What is it they say about the scottish?  ;D

Oops! There goes all my sales in Scotland  :-X

(PS I'm half Scottish so I can get away with it)