MNWC

varistrem ??
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:13:04 pm »
Hi all,
Is a varistream really necessary?
i havnt got one fitted at moment but was worried that my pump will burn out due to cycling when i turn water off at pole !
Ive read somewhere that you can make a diy jobbie by fitting a by pass !

Has anyone made one

How Do you do it

Do they work !

Thanks in advance
Marcus

ps i have a chrome plated ball valve fitted on my hose if i left a little bit of water flowing instead of turning completly off would this suffice (dont want to burn pump out :-\)

Re: varistream ??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:53:20 pm »
hi i have a varistream unit fitted to my trolley works really well controls water flow protects your pump also you don't have to adjust pressure to work higher window varistream does this for you last of all saves a lot of water before i used a bypass valve but found i wasted alot of water so if your on a water meter you will value that ;D

Re: varistrem ??
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:02:37 pm »
You shouldn't waste water if your bypass goes back into your tank.

MNWC

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:35:43 pm »
Has any body got any pics that they could show me bypass ??

Roy Harding

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:39:31 pm »
A bypass does the same as a varistream and you can do it your self.

But with a bypass when you switch the pump on the pump will run flat out trying to pump up to the full psi of the pump, of corse it cant reach this because the water is retruning to the tank and back to the pump.

With the Varistream you set the flow rate you require may it be a drip upto  a full flow. When you select your flow rate the Varistream controls the amps to the pump and the pump only truns at a rate to provide the flow you want. Hence the pump does not work as hard and uses less battery.

you can make a byepass by taking a T off the out side of the pump and put a flow control tap in the pipe and then conect it to the flow inside of the pump.

Roy

MNWC

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 03:45:44 pm »
[quote

you can make a byepass by taking a T off the out side of the pump and put a flow control tap in the pipe and then conect it to the flow inside of the pump.

Cheers roy ....so......
put a T in the pipe outside the pump box  feeding the pole.Go from the T to the water container. In between the pole and the T put in a control tap.
am i right  ??? 

Tim Morton

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 05:00:22 pm »
The only thing I can add to the above is that if you use a varistream your battery will last a lot longer as your pump is no longer pumping 6L per min @ 100psi when you are only needing 1-2L per min, which means you can get away with either a smaller battery or you can work for more hrs/days before recharging.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Roy Harding

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 05:42:27 pm »
Marcus thats right.

Roy

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 05:48:47 pm »

Cheers roy ....so......
put a T in the pipe outside the pump box  feeding the pole.Go from the T to the water container. In between the pole and the T put in a control tap.
am i right  ??? 

You are better putting the T's on the inside of the pump box, where it comes out the pump and where it goes on the pump.  That way you don't have to go all the way back to the tank.  Much neater.

Peter
www.window-tools.com

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 05:50:09 pm »
The only thing I can add to the above is that if you use a varistream your battery will last a lot longer as your pump is no longer pumping 6L per min @ 100psi when you are only needing 1-2L per min, which means you can get away with either a smaller battery or you can work for more hrs/days before recharging.

Tim

The same applies with a by-pass

Peter
www.window-tools.com

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 05:58:04 pm »

ps i have a chrome plated ball valve fitted on my hose if i left a little bit of water flowing instead of turning completly off would this suffice (dont want to burn pump out :-\)

It is better completely off rather than let a little water through.  If it is completely off the pump will stop and no harm will be done.

Peter

Tim Morton

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 06:06:28 pm »

Tim

Peter
www.window-tools.com
I thought that with a by-pass the pump is still working flat out at full bore? If that's the case then it's still using more power than if you used a varistream which works by lowering the voltage to the pump thereby using less currant and hence less power from your battery. With a bypass your pump is still running on the full 12Volts and pumping at full bore!!

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 06:12:52 pm »
pic of pump box with by-pass valve

Roy Harding

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 06:17:47 pm »
Well done matt

roy

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:23:13 pm »

Tim

Peter
www.window-tools.com
I thought that with a by-pass the pump is still working flat out at full bore? If that's the case then it's still using more power than if you used a varistream which works by lowering the voltage to the pump thereby using less currant and hence less power from your battery. With a bypass your pump is still running on the full 12Volts and pumping at full bore!!

Tim

The pump won't draw as much power from the battery if most of the water is just travelling round to the inlet side of the pump, as opposed to pumping it up a hose 40 foot high.

Peter

MNWC

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 06:38:40 pm »
Thanks all for your replies

Matt.
dont you have to have a pipe that goes back into the feed container  :-[

Tim Morton

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 07:27:04 pm »
But the advantage of the varistream is that when you turn off your pole the pump stops too, added to that, the varistream ensures a constant flow rate no matter how high your pole is, with a bypass the higher your pole is the more water diverts around the bypass rather than up to your pole as the water takes the path of least resistance. But fair enough, a varistream costs 70-90 and a bypass costs all of 5!!! So if you are strapped for cash and want to cut back where you can, I guess go for a bypass, you can always go for a varistream later, they're easy to retro-fit. But if you've got the money to get a varistream, in my opinion it's well worth it, your battery will last longer with it.
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 07:35:16 pm »
Thanks all for your replies

Matt.
dont you have to have a pipe that goes back into the feed container  :-[

no, you will notice it just returns to before the pump, thus just goes in a big circle

when you open the red valve on the top, that regulates the flow, as it regulates how much gets returned to before the pump, close the valve and you get 100% upto the brush head, i NEVER close the value 100% as if the water flow at the head stops for whatever reason (normally the hozelock connection might pop off and stop the flow) then the pump will not cycle as the water can flow

MNWC

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 08:14:04 pm »
Cheers matt.

Its all crystal now fella ::)

matt

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 10:01:15 pm »
Cheers matt.

Its all crystal now fella ::)

follow the flow from the IN

you will get past the pump then see a Y this goes to :

a. the OUT (and the brush)
b. back to just after the IN (controlled by a valve)