Has anyone tried 'Roadside Advertising'?
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:39:02 pm »
There's always lots of 'roadside advertising' where I live; mostly around round-abouts or traffic lights where a backlog of vehicles build up.

I've been thinking about using it for advertising window cleaning.

Okay, okay, I know I'll possibly get lots of calls from areas I don't want to do, but I may also get some good leads.

Here's a site I've just been reading about it:

http://www.fortunenow.com/Reports/Road_Signs.htm

Has anyone ever tried it?

matt

Re: Has anyone tried 'Roadside Advertising'?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:53:18 pm »
if you do go this way tosh

go to a sign writters and ask about a deal, if they include there logo etc you will get a few quid off

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:11:59 pm »
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing Tosh, but using 'A' boards and chaining them to lamp posts or something at the exit to various estates.

Of course you would have to allow for vandalism.
Or perhaps slaping out a few 'A' boards around an area at the beginning of a day and collecting them up at the end of it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

ronaldo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:22:55 pm »
Could be a good idea. You could put it out as you arrived at a street and pick it up when you leave and take it to the next one. I have seen that a lot of block paving companies seem to adopt this method of advertising.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Mike_G

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:03:05 pm »
I think you need permission from the local council to use A boards.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 04:17:40 pm »
if you do go this way tosh

go to a sign writters and ask about a deal, if they include there logo etc you will get a few quid off

I've considered this, but I was thinking of making them myself.

I've got the skill and patience to make a good template, and then spray paint my sign onto some stiff card or board.

Apparantly these signs only have a life-expectancy of around 6 to 8 days before the weather/council/vandals/OTHER WINDOW CLEANERS get to them.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three good stategic places to stick them.

Just something simple (like myself) saying, 'Do you want a window cleaner?  Phone XXXXXXXX).

As it is I'm getting 'nabbed' by people when I'm out shopping who say 'I've been looking for you for ages' (even though I'm in the phone books), so I think it's worth a go.

ronaldo

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
You could use your ladder and put it up a lampost so that none of the looneys could get at it. We always have our logo on the back of our clothing. You would be surprised how many people have asked us for cards or to go and quote for work when we,re out shopping at Morrisons and various other places.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

williamx

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 06:31:19 pm »
I have tried this and it does work, here are some points which you will find use-full.

Don't go for a self written sign go for one which is professionally made.

Having in done on a yellow background is the best colour.

Don't put them on traffic lights or any other post that advises on the road conditions.

Don't put too many around in one area, because if you do the council start to get complaints and their clean up squads come around taking them all down.  Also it is VERY ILLEGAL do due this and at times the council will have crackdowns and prosecute, kept a lookout in the local paper because sometimes this is mentioned when they are doing this.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 06:33:56 pm »
I have tried this and it does work, here are some points which you will find use-full.

Don't go for a self written sign go for one which is professionally made.

Having in done on a yellow background is the best colour.

Don't put them on traffic lights or any other post that advises on the road conditions.

Don't put too many around in one area, because if you do the council start to get complaints and their clean up squads come around taking them all down.  Also it is VERY ILLEGAL do due this and at times the council will have crackdowns and prosecute, kept a lookout in the local paper because sometimes this is mentioned when they are doing this.

Yellow background it is then! ;)

williamx

Re: Has anyone tried 'Roadside Advertising'? New
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 06:46:56 pm »
Almost forgot don't put down your landline telephone use your mobile, big brother can't find you 8)

Mike George

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:08 pm »
You could use your ladder and put it up a lampost so that none of the looneys could get at it.

You don't want to put a ladder up a lamp post. They aren't designed to take any sideways pressure, and a standard ladder isn't safe with the top rung resting on a round post.
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog