Central Window Cleaners

Preparing new scrims
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:38:38 am »
Hiya,
could anyone tell me how they prepare there new scrims please?

paul michelle

Re: Preparing new scrims
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:58:17 pm »
if you buy the prewash scrims there is no need to do anything to  them but if you bought the unwash one's i  would boil them up then put them on a boil wash

jakeandmia

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:10:49 pm »
hi Central

What type of scrim are they?.Are you from Nuneaton?.I get the missus to cut mine in half and run them up on the machine and then I boil them a few times in the washer (no detergent).They then should be ok.

Wayne

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:01 pm »
I buy the pre washed but find even then they need a bit of breaking in.
I use the as my damp cloth for a week.
They then seem to be perfect

Paul

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:46:34 pm »
I would agree with Paul, they all need to be broken in first, use as a wet scrim first and they will be fine.

But slap them in on a boil wash to begin with.

Or you could buy Microfibre cloths instead, these are ready for use straight out of the packet, and are only a little more expensive than scrim too.

Buy scrim too though! ;D They both have their uses!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
Hi guys,
thanks for the advise I will give it a shot. I was told by an old window cleaner in our area to boil them in a pressure cooker until they are grey before using them, have you ever heard of this before?

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Yes I have. I don't know about grey though.  You boil them to get out the size that is added in the manufacturing process to make fabric firmer.
All scrims get better as they get older. They are never better than just before they fall apart.

Buy B+Q dishcloths 5 for 69p to do window frames etc. save your scrims for glass