AuRavelling79

Re: Mid Kent to ban all Window Cleaning
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 09:19:27 pm »
Here's a link to all members of parliament.
Pick your own MP and let them know. If every MP had a load of e-mails on the same subject I'd bet on it making PM's Question time normally on a Thursday.
http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm this lists all MPs and their e-mail address

Thanks for the link and a belated welcome to the board - I have e-mailed my MP this evening.
It's a game of three halves!

DASERVICES

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 09:29:46 pm »

Did a little digging on compensation, came across this document from 1999 so I
  think the compensation package will be more now :-

Business customers

There is arguably a case for higher payments for non-domestic customers in respect of those service failures where they may suffer more inconvenience, such as those relating to supply interruptions. These customers are already entitled to a higher payment (under Licence Condition Q) of £50 per day where water for essential use is restricted as a result of a drought.

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/gssreview

This needs to be tackled as a combined effort giving you more clout, individual
claims may not highlight the issue that this is your livelyhood.

I may be wrong on this but may be worth a go.

Doug

williamx

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 09:36:01 pm »
Been reading all the threads about water bans.and seems to have everyone in a panic. iv never thought of this or asked,can we purify sea water with our di tanks and ro systems if real desperate. just a thought.jouk45

The drought order says we cannot clean windows even if we get the water from elsewhere, we could even pee in a bottle and purify it, but we couldn't use it.

neil100

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 09:48:30 pm »
Things are looking bleak.

If w/cleaning were to be banned in our region, I would be a law abbiding citizen and stop cleaning windows with wfp very reluctently.

But on principle I would carry on w/cleaning the  Traditional way. The amount of  water used is so small it would make a mockery of the restrictions placed on us by the water authorities. I realize that would put me on the wrong side of the law. But I would be willing to make a stand.

If the Water authorities started legal proccedings, I would be willing to go to prision over it, because I think they are targeting the wrong group to save water. If there were enough like minded people in the country, the Bad press the water companys would get would be unbeliveble.

Can you imagine the headlines hardworking w/cleaners locked up for useing a bucket of water while our country is sucked dry from a leaking network of pipes.

Nel.

williamx

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 10:00:06 pm »

Did a little digging on compensation, came across this document from 1999 so I
  think the compensation package will be more now :-

Business customers

There is arguably a case for higher payments for non-domestic customers in respect of those service failures where they may suffer more inconvenience, such as those relating to supply interruptions. These customers are already entitled to a higher payment (under Licence Condition Q) of £50 per day where water for essential use is restricted as a result of a drought.

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/gssreview

This needs to be tackled as a combined effort giving you more clout, individual
claims may not highlight the issue that this is your livelyhood.

I may be wrong on this but may be worth a go.

Doug

Found this on Severn Trents website

If they have to impose standpipes then they will offer compensation

DASERVICES

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 10:04:53 pm »
  Another idea for you guys maybe wrong again, dug up this wording on an
  Ofwat document about interrupted supply of water :-

However as a business customer we strongly recommend that you assess your susceptibility to a loss of supply, planned or otherwise and consider your own storage arrangements.  Your local water company should be able to offer advice on such arrangements.

Does this give you the legal go ahead to store water ! If you had the space
  and money to buy 1000 litre IBC's to cover you for a period.

These are the things I would be looking into if it effected me, this is my last
  say on the matter.

Hope you guys find a way around it, all the best.

Doug

poles apart

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 10:52:04 pm »
I've got twenty 1000 litre ibc's in my garden! I'm gonna start filling them asap! :o

dai

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2006, 07:27:23 pm »
Call me a cynic if you like, but can you smell a rat here? Is this the beginning of window cleaning licenses for the UK as a whole. I'm not suggesting that the water company's are going to propose it, [unless they think they can make more money out of it] No; It's the politicians that may come up with it as a possible solution.
It wouldn't help with the water shortage, but if they charge us a whacking great licence fee, they will make sure we pay more for the water we use.
I think that these proposals show as little foresight as the architects of the Iraqi war.
The tourist season is about to begin. Do they think that visitors want to come to a place where they can't see out of their hotel or coach tour windows.
As Ian Say's Coca cola can use millions of gallons. We can have rotten teeth but not clean windows. Dai

matt

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2006, 08:07:32 pm »
Dai

your not far away from what i understand

JohnL

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2006, 09:29:35 pm »
yes this will get very political. its far easier for politicians to show the public they are responding to a critical situation by hitting trades such as WCers than hitting industries that use vast quantities of water.

and what does John Prescott propose - building a new town in an area which is already short of water!

I really dont think there is much joined up thinking from politicians these days  >:(

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 11:18:44 pm »
yes this will get very political. its far easier for politicians to show the public they are responding to a critical situation by hitting trades such as WCers than hitting industries that use vast quantities of water.

and what does John Prescott propose - building a new town in an area which is already short of water!

I really dont think there is much joined up thinking from politicians these days  >:(

JohnL

There's a lot of corruption out there IMO.  Loans and donations for seats in the Lords?
If I give the Labour Party a tenner, do you think they might give me a seat on their toilet?

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 05:37:40 pm »
I feel the scrim coming back big time, ;D and the bucket :o ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.