Terry_Burrows

Re: Is the wfp taking over the world
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 04:42:03 pm »
we very rarely use a ladder I must say,but I cant see them being a total ban,what about other people that need a ladder :-\ BT people sky ???
the people who make wfp are crying out to here,ban ladders of course they are,and any one who makes a bad view of them gets shouted at,I think the hs has not started on wfp yet :-X it well may be safer,its not with out its hazzards is it ::) :-X I am going to turn the music up now ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 04:51:50 pm »
i reckon sooner or later squeeky will be wfp, he will come out with some lame reason but deep deep down he wants one realy
Yeah, dream on.
When will people on here understand?
It's nothing to with being stubborn or short sighted.
Why do I have to have the poxy thing?

I don't want one, and I don't agree with the large amount of water used.
I've never seen decent results either, and I've seen enough examples. ::)

Like Terry said, wait until they get their teeth into wfp....they'll find a way to ban that too. ;)
It's just a fad until the next (far better) invention comes along.
It won't be long either......enjoy!

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 05:44:10 pm »
He's softening!

eddie d

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 06:23:51 pm »
im half with squeaky even though i use a pole 99% of the time.the pole clearly uses a ton of water which is a waste.
ive even had a serious fall from a ladder and have pins in my foot.but i still dont like useing all this water.
the results debate will run and run .i generally get good results with the pole now but on some jobs theres still the odd window that doesnt come good.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm i think ill hold on to my system a while longer.but wont invest in another just yet.
the only real worry for me is the third floor stuff ,and id rather give it up than ladder it.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 06:29:51 pm »
I've just returned from a visit to Wor Lasses family.

They live in deepest-darkest Pontypool in the Welsh Valleys (I'm probably making it sound more backward than it actually is).

Wor Lasses brother tells me he's seen two guys, working from a van with a 'pole' cleaning windows in Pontypool last week.

It's getting about!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 06:44:31 pm »
Ponty's not really "valleys" really.
It's a lively town.

There's business parks and flyovers etc.... :o

You're thinking of more like Pontypridd.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 06:50:39 pm »
Or pontypandy!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 07:03:23 pm »
Or pontypandy!
Wasn't that where Fireman Sam came from?

I do have an excuse, I've got a 3 year old.  ;D

macc

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 07:10:30 pm »
squeaky, it was ment as a joke, you make me crack up with the things you come out with.

im nearly 40, (god thats old) i need help unlike you young ens, hence WFP, you will see.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2006, 07:18:58 pm »
Or pontypandy!

First thing that came to me after reading Tosh's post!

Mike_G

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006, 07:27:41 pm »
I have heard that pole systems are now being looked at by hse, (so many being used now they have to set guidelines for use) and they are concerned that having a pole up in the air, some as high as 65 foot is too dangerous (imagine if you dropped it) so a max height is being suggested. Also they are looking at potential injury of using wfp, shoulder, back etc and comparing to likelyhood of falling from a ladder (suggesting that the risk of long term injury is similar). OK it might all be bull and the guy who told me might just be on the wind up but I dont think he was and one thing is for sure as soon as hse start looking at it they are bound to introduce some new law to mess it all up.

So I think it is fair to say we will being using ladders for quite some time yet, and before wfp can take over the world some clever cloggs at hse will stop it, or a new invention will come out and start a whole new discussion!

mark dew

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2006, 07:30:14 pm »
trad for nearly 2 years, aquiring wfp to open up higher paid work. (in the area i cover anyway ;D)

Will still use trad for some accounts tho. But only the small and quick jobs. Funnily enough also my most profitable work p/h.

mark

matt

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2006, 07:38:34 pm »
Or pontypandy!

your right, the new series is on BBC2 at 9.40 weekdays

my daughter who's 3 loves it

Morph

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2006, 07:54:34 pm »
Hope you're better Matt?

dai

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2006, 08:11:39 pm »
Two new converts to WFP in the last few weeks, and that's just in the Llandudno area alone.
Yes WFP is a lot more hassle, A lot of my spare time is spent tweaking this or fixing that. It's a pain having to sort out the next days water. My expenses have increased a lot too.
We have lost customers because of it, not that it doesn't do a good job, they don't like their walls, or in one case their ground getting wet.
So why don't we go for an easier life and get back on the ladders? Well in my case it's nothing to do with having to justify the expense of building a system.
 Wfp is faster, and time is money, and that at the end of the day is why we work.
There is one more and very important reason why WFP is taking over.
Going up ladders is a stress you never realise you have, until you don't have to do
it anymore. I now find that I hate using them. I'm a competent, experienced ladder user. I felt safe when I was using them, but not half as safe as I feel now. Dai

Ian_Giles

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:22 pm »
H & S get into everything, as I've said somewhere else on the forum, I truly detest being told what I can and cannot do by the H & S mafia.
Window cleaning is a manual job, manual work will always carry a risk.
But of course the all the talk about is risk management; if you wish to eliminate risk then you have to automate don't you, you have to totally get rid of manual work.

What about the brickie building a concrete block wall, each block weighs 3 stone, you think waggling a pole in the air weighing a few pounds might cause a few problems?
How about the farm labourer lugging a couple of thousand bales of hay and straw come harvest time?
You want real hard physical work you want to give that a try, and I know what I'm talking about there I promise you.
Try plastering a ceiling.
Ever wondered why carpenters have such big arms?
Or how about building labourers mixing compo? An absolute killer for the back.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that I think the risks of working of ladders are acceptable.
Compared to driving a car there are only a tiny handful of deaths a year, and I'm sorry, though every death is heartbreaking for any family and loved ones there just isn't that many of them.
The trouble with reducing risk is that there is always another step that can be taken, each step might only be a tiny one, but it still gets taken and after time these little steps accumulate into several flights of them!

How many kids fall out of trees every year?
How many fall of pushbikes?
Fall over after running around in the playground?

you want to reduce these risks its easy enough to do isn't it?

And in some schools kids are already not allowed to run around in the playground, or play conkers or throw snowball without the targets permission.

Is it inconceivable that at some point in the future children under a certain age will not be allowed to ride their bikes outside of special, supervised area's?

The objectives of H & S cannot be faulted can they?
They are trying to reduce risks, cut down on injuries, make life safer for us in the workplace and at home....but there is always another little step that can and WILL be taken....

Will window cleaners be forced off ladders?

Yep, you betcha, as I have said earlier, there is a perfectly good, safe alternative to them for the window cleaner, and it really is not very expensive.

Quality of the work?
Perfectly fine, it isn't often that trad will do a better job, as good yes (particularly if the window cleaner using trad cleans all of the frames)

I've no doubt that at some point H & S may well end out saying that anything over a certain height is too dangerous to clean with a pole (or they'll try to) Butthere is no bloody way I would want to erect a ladder 80ft into the air and then work off it :o
And I don't much like working 40 plus feet with a pole either, it's hard work!!

But every death or serious injury that occurs when a window cleaner falls from a ladder, and it happens to be one that makes headlines will hasten the demise of the ladder for the use of window cleaning.
I think it is wrong, but I believe that it is inevitable.

Ian

Just went to post and read Dai's post.

So why don't we go for an easier life and get back on the ladders? Well in my case it's nothing to do with having to justify the expense of building a system.
 Wfp is faster, and time is money, and that at the end of the day is why we work.
There is one more and very important reason why WFP is taking over.
Going up ladders is a stress you never realise you have, until you don't have to do
it anymore. I now find that I hate using them. I'm a competent, experienced ladder user. I felt safe when I was using them, but not half as safe as I feel now. Dai

I couldn't agree more Dai, once you no longer have to work off ladders you really do realise how much safer you feel, and like you I really do hate it if I have to use them.

Iaqn
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

matt

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2006, 08:38:26 pm »
Hope you're better Matt?

yes cheers

just made a post about it

Wayne Voller

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 01:02:52 pm »
I agree. The WAHR dont just effect window cleaners, lots of the construction industry is also effected. HSE inspectors are not just waiting for accidents to happen, they are prosecuting even those incidents where no injuries have resulted, I believe they have been told to look out for instances of people not using the correct controls of working at heights. If you employ others, or are working on commercial premises BEWARE

Wayne

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »
100% wfp up and down.
trad insides only.
have seen at least 14 wfp w/cleaners in and around gloucester where we're
based. they're everywhere,not just on this forum.
the only way you wont see any is by going round with your eyes shut, a bit like some peoples minds......

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2006, 03:46:44 pm »
have seen at least 14 wfp w/cleaners in and around gloucester where we're
based. they're everywhere,not just on this forum.
the only way you wont see any is by going round with your eyes shut, a bit like some peoples minds......
Some people just have start again don't they?
What's wrong? Lost the first time?  ::)

For your information I travel a lot, and last year visted all corners of this country.
Being a photographer I keep my eyes and my mind permanantly open.

...and I've only seen half a dozen wfps. :-\

Can we let this childish thread go now, instead of bumping it?
It was a pointless statement anyway.