D.Salkeld_Ltd

Shurflo Back pack?
« on: February 25, 2006, 01:00:58 pm »
Hi all,

I.m considering a Shurflo backpack.

Will the battery last a whole day say 7 hrs work?

Am I correct in noticing that it is the SRS-600 Propack adapted to take WFP?

Thanks
David
Not Perfect - But Honest

brett walker

Re: Shurflo Back pack?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:16:28 pm »
Hi there

yes it should easily last all day, i find that the backpack is a great bit of kit.

Easily adapted for wfp

Are you putting it on a trolley?

I got one of those trolleys that fold flat when you put your backpack on it, its got a gap in the base to allow you to get your fingers through to press your settings.  I normally use the number 2 setting.

Brett

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:44:37 pm »
David

heres a few pics of mine
trolley cost me 17 quid
its handy because it folds flat and goes in your car easily, also as you can see in pic if you postion the backpack on base you can tilt the trolley back and get to the settings easily.  Just put a bungee round the backpack on the trolley.

Hope this helps

Brett

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:48:50 pm »
Thanks Brett,

Just what I wanted to know.

Do you use it all the time?

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

brett walker

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »
Hi David

no i dont use it all the time only on certain work thats hard to reach, i now have a freedom trolley but still use both.
You wont go wrong with a backpack theyre excellent.

Heres some pics on how i converted mine- pics courtesy of Andrew 24-7 services who got me my backpack in a group buy and was very helpful

regards

Brett

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 08:10:37 pm »
Hi all,

I.m considering a Shurflo backpack.

Will the battery last a whole day say 7 hrs work?

Am I correct in noticing that it is the SRS-600 Propack adapted to take WFP?

Thanks
David

David,

I'm a fan of the back pack.  It's spot on and ideally suited to doing 'tops only' or those leaded or Georgian windows completely.

You could also e-mail David of St Ives.  I believe he has a couple for sale.

markybop

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 08:59:09 am »
On the lookout for a back pack as have been borrowing one, wots ur email address then "David of St Ives"?
Or whats the spec of the backpack and are they new and how much?
splish-splash....give me the cash!

craig jwc

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 09:51:03 pm »
You should get more than 1 days use out of the battery. But i always carry a spare.

I've put mine on a trolley like Brett as i can't be bothered to carry it about.

I've been using mine for about 7 months now on all my work, tops and bottoms.

Just waiting for my Freedom Trolley to arrive but will still use Backpack in hard to get areas.

Craig 8)

windolene

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:13:09 pm »
Hi David,

Have just today had my backpack delivered today. My first step into wfp. what with the posts with photos from the lads in setting them up with additionial fittings I cant wait to go. I will be using some water from a friend at first & am on the lookout for a second hand pole just to be getting on with. I might even buy one at Windex.

This is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7744927159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Kevin Windolene.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 06:34:56 pm »
You should get more than 1 days use out of the battery. But i always carry a spare.

I've put mine on a trolley like Brett as i can't be bothered to carry it about.

I've been using mine for about 7 months now on all my work, tops and bottoms.

Just waiting for my Freedom Trolley to arrive but will still use Backpack in hard to get areas.

Craig 8)

Craig,

I don't there's much difference between a Freedom and a back pack.  What advantage do you think you're going to get over a back pack; when you use the Freedom?

AdamSouth

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 07:27:15 pm »
is the pump 40psi?

is that powerful enough to do 3rd floor windows. not though bout the backpack before but it looks a good bit of kit.

does any1 carry it on their back?
Giving you a better view

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 08:06:12 pm »
is the pump 40psi?

is that powerful enough to do 3rd floor windows. not though bout the backpack before but it looks a good bit of kit.

does any1 carry it on their back?

Yes, the pump is easily powerfull enough to do three-storey buildings.  No problem.

The pump has four settings from a 'trickle' to a 'super-jet'.  Setting number two is the normal setting to use for routine WFP work.  But you can use it on number one to scrub a whole load of windows then return to rinse on setting number two.

I've tried carrying it on my back, but it was too heavy for me, and I'm no lightweight.

It works best mounted on a light trolley and/or used as a 'grab and go'.  It's easy to attach a strap to the handles.

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 08:54:48 pm »
Tosh

The reason i am getting the Freedom Trolley is because you have a 100psi on the Freedom and only a 40psi on the backpack.
I am getting a tank for the van which you can run with the Freedom Trolley if you want too.
Instead of pouring water from a water carrier into the backpack you only have to change the barrel which is a bit quicker plus less spilliage.
I'm not knocking the backpack at all as this is all i have been using for the last 6 - 7 months to do all my work tops and bottoms.
I will still use the backpack for jobs where it is harder to get the Freedom Trolley too.
I take my backpack up the ladder on my back onto flat roofs and balconys.

Just think that the backback pump will not last too much longer if i keep using it on everything as some of my jobs are quite big.

Craig

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 09:02:43 am »
will be using some water from a friend at first

Hi Kevin,

Tosh is selling a started RO/DI unit - heres the link.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17232.0

Good luck with the backpack.

Sarah
Sarah

brett walker

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 01:20:14 pm »
Hi David

no i dont use it all the time only on certain work thats hard to reach, i now have a freedom trolley but still use both.
You wont go wrong with a backpack theyre excellent.

Heres some pics on how i converted mine- pics courtesy of Andrew 24-7 services who got me my backpack in a group buy and was very helpful

regards

Brett

Ive opened this up for David Clare so he can look at the pics of the backpack tried to open a link up on his but i didnt know how to do it

Brett

windolene

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 04:43:41 pm »
Hi,

Brett what is it that you puti n  your hozelock connection to attach the thinner WFP hose?

I aslo want a connection that will screw into the black hose of the backpack once the handle has been taken off to attach a normal hose.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

derek mckeon

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 05:37:39 pm »
if you buy a back pack they should come ready to connect  to your pole you pay enough for them dont forget they are really for weed spraying they probley buy these for 20£ each from spain or china if you buy one for £175 from clean tech ask mikey if it is ready to connect straight to your pole

brett walker

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 06:06:54 pm »
Hi Kev

the black pipe you can see in the pic comes from your wfp pole with a male connector on the end of it, this plugs into the female connector in the pic.

The black handle thats where you screw the lance off and just screw the other connection on to there i think i got that from focus

you do not have to cut any pipes on the backpack

did you get my email a few weeks ago?

come on Tosh where are you your the backpack man ;)

hope this makes sense

Brett

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:31 pm »

you do not have to cut any pipes on the backpack

did you get my email a few weeks ago?

come on Tosh where are you your the backpack man ;)

Brett

Brett,

I'm DIY inept; therefore I cut the crop sprayer off and attached a female hoselock connection.

David of St Ives said he's a better method, which he probably has; but this works for me.  I use Ionics internal pole hose from the backpack to the brush and if I want to stop the water, I just bend the hose.

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 06:39:13 pm »
Hi everyone (again)

This thred is basically what im looking for....

However what i would like is basically a shopping list of all the things i need to buy to build a completed unit.

I can get the backpack from ebay but beyond that exactly what do i need.

Many thanks

David

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 07:45:58 pm »
(Cut and pasted from an earlier reply)

You'll also likely need a Reverse Osmosis (RO) with a DI unit.

You can buy these from RO Man, (the unit in the link bellow would probably suffice), depending on how much water you plan to use.  Doing 'tops only' I use around 100 to 150 litres per day (it's four litres to a gallon by the way, although Wavie Davie can be far more precise with the measurements ;)).

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/30

You'll also need a pole.  I suggest an 18" one if you're mainly doing 1st floor windows.  You can get these from numerous places, but this site generally gets a good rating and has an excellent 'frequently asked questions' area which explains just about everything you need to know to start using a WFP.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/

You'll also need a static tank, I use two 200 litre water butts, at least six 25 litre water barrels and a hand-held TDS meter (£13 approx).

Also, don't forget to ask lots of questions here.  I'm definitely not a WFP expert by any means.