mark mann

white milk like water off upvc?
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »
Okay im sure ive seen something on this before but cant find.

i was doing a first clean today on a 2 bed semi with conny - apart from fairly new conny windows were minging although no green just dirt so much so that the brush struggled to travel accross glass initially.

just one window frame ground floor kitchen though when i cleaned around theframe it was like milk running down - i guess the water mixed with the upvc colour? figured that hadnt been cleaned that long that the frame had somehow leached its colour resin or whatever...

anybody know or had this??.. it eventually diluted out to clear running water.
an optimist takes the tartare sauce with him when he goes fishing -

Gav Camm lammy 283

Re: white milk like water off upvc?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:46 pm »
shud be fine now yr cleaned it
its oxidided thats all
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 02:04:23 am »
next time you do it just clean the glass and not the frame,  only do the frame every couple of times, as some will just run for ever, i have a house which does it  and only end up doing the glass

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:25:28 am »
Maybe all uupvc will degrade with uv light and go milky after 15 years ?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:24 am »
Maybe all uupvc will degrade with uv light and go milky after 15 years ?

Pretty much, but it seems to greatly depend on wether the frames have been kept clean.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:19:57 am »
Are you sure they were upvc and not white powder coated aluminium?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:38:09 am »

Funnily enough, 90% of problem "upvc" windows on my round, are in fact powder coated aluminium, they are a bit rubbish really. As long as they have proper gaskets, no problem, just do the glass, once in a while do frame when it gets too bad. Get any runs on those windows and you've got a re-clean.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:52:30 am »
shud be fine now yr cleaned it
its oxidided thats all
Not neccesarily. I've got some that did that years ago and they still spot bad now. Have to squeegee the water off. Bit stuffed if it upstairs though.

I've also got some new upvcs on a few houses that spot every time and cause complaints.
I've rinsed them for minutes and still no good.

Fact is, some windows can't be done properly wfp, but you won't see that admitted around here much.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:59 am »
Once oxidised they stay forever oxidised.

You can certainly clean them to the point where the water appears to run clear,  but if done as described, you should still go back to the window a few minutes later and carefully just do the glass very lightly, although even then you may still get spotting.
The following month, quickly and just barely go over the frames, scrub them or wet them too much and you will remove faint amounts of oxidisation.
Concentrate on the glass and you should be ok.
As you gain experience you can get the hang of getting windows with oxidised frames up to an acceptable level.

I also completely agree with Squeaky's post (and I think that's the first time I've ever felt compelled to confess to such  :'() WFP is not an all singing, all dancing answer to window cleaning, and there really are some windows, which for some unfathomable reason will not come out right no matter how many times you wash them using WFP.
I had a garage showroom a couple of years back; two identical, large showroom windows that were side by side; one would come up perfect every single time, and with the other pane, even though I persevered once a fortnight for several years, every single time I had to go back outside and re-clean with trad methods.

Now here is a little known fact for you all with regards to the reasons behind the oxidisation of UPVCframes!  8)

It is the chalk that manufactures use in them............

No, really, a customer of mine used to sell double glazing and informed me that at the cheaper end of the scale, rather than use more expensive chemicals/compounds etc, in order to enhance the colour/whiteness of the UPVC they actually add chalk in the manufacturing process.
Anglian and Everest have the lowest values of chalk content in the makeup of their UPVC and as a result will resist degradation due to oxidisation from ultraviolet light for donkeys years.
If you wash a UPVC frame and the water turns into skimmed milk then those frames are right at the bottom of the pile with regards quality.

Everest and Anglian are not the only ones to use top quality UPVC though - but they are the most expensive - so should you be contemplating some new windows yourself, ask the salesman for the tech specifications of the frames...the higher the % of chalk then the lower the grade of UPVC.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »
Once oxidised they stay forever oxidised.

I had a garage showroom a couple of years back; two identical, large showroom windows that were side by side; one would come up perfect every single time, and with the other pane, even though I persevered once a fortnight for several years, every single time I had to go back outside and re-clean with trad methods.

Ian
Given this a lot of thought and maybe its because there are two sides of glass, one side is correctly fitted with the "Tin"/Oil side inwards and the other the wrong way out, I have often found it on new installations where the fitters fit the glass the wrong side out on one of four panes in a group- always spots.  :'(

mark mann

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 01:22:03 pm »

u have a good point thing your right here they were - but hane had same on upvc as well - rea; ain -thanks for the replies on here everyone - glad im ot alone on this one - real pain

mark mann

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

Now here is a little known fact for you all with regards to the reasons behind the oxidisation of UPVCframes!  8)

It is the chalk that manufactures use in them............

No, really, a customer of mine used to sell double glazing and informed me that at the cheaper end of the scale, rather than use more expensive chemicals/compounds etc, in order to enhance the colour/whiteness of the UPVC they actually add chalk in the manufacturing process.
Anglian and Everest have the lowest values of chalk content in the makeup of their UPVC and as a result will resist degradation due to oxidisation from ultraviolet light for donkeys years.
If you wash a UPVC frame and the water turns into skimmed milk then those frames are right at the bottom of the pile with regards quality.

Everest and Anglian are not the only ones to use top quality UPVC though - but they are the most expensive - so should you be contemplating some new windows yourself, ask the salesman for the tech specifications of the frames...the higher the % of chalk then the lower the grade of UPVC.

good point i use to sell plumbing gear and was made aware of guterr manufacturer when orignally made (changed now) use to use to much or not enough of something in the ingredients of the polymer and it used to dry out and crack after 2/3 years - hence why the likes of hunter and other top brand gutter fittings are 3/4 times the price of the cheap stuff and they look nicer and last much longer

dai

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »
I have posted this subject in the past, they are a real pain, thankfully only on the south facing windows.
How many on here remember the hassle we used to have with white painted frames in the old shammy and scrim days? Funny that chalk is apparently the same culprit.